A rule tweek? (Regarding challenges)

PatsFanNH

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMO the problem is that challenges are bandaids on an open sore in the first place.

The real issue is that refereeing is not consistent from game to game and sometimes not even within games.  Fix that and they'll be less challenges.

Spots of the ball could easily be fixed with technology.  In 2016, the NFL put sensors inside the football during the 2016 preseason.  The sensors sat under the laces.  It's not known how positionally accurate they turned out to be, and I believe the program was D/C'd, but there is really no reason to rely on a ref's eyeballs followed by two sticks and a chain to figure out where the football wound up. 

Put sensors in the ball, and while you're at it white stripes on it for contrast ?

The sensor thing is fascinating and could really be the way to go. If we can drive remote control cars around on Mars we can do this. It’s often impossible to tell where that ball is in the scrum. It’s not the panacea as you still don’t know when a knee goes down, etc, but I’m sure there are times it would help them get it right. 

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

An idea seeing as how so many bad calls are unable be challenged if you lose 1 of 2 challenges. My idea is simple, if you win the challenge you still have 2 challenges left if you lose goes to 1 and lose a time out. (Or if you have 1 you still have 1 left if won.).   Seems like a plausible fix that way you always have a challenge left as long as you don’t lose two.

thoughts?  I know it isn’t perfect or solve every issue but a small fix at least.

Your team got screwed twice yesterday.  Bills fans know the sting of that. Thinking the check never cleared.

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

An idea seeing as how so many bad calls are unable be challenged if you lose 1 of 2 challenges. My idea is simple, if you win the challenge you still have 2 challenges left if you lose goes to 1 and lose a time out. (Or if you have 1 you still have 1 left if won.).   Seems like a plausible fix that way you always have a challenge left as long as you don’t lose two.

thoughts?  I know it isn’t perfect or solve every issue but a small fix at least.

I'd support the tweak that if a review is flippen obvious, let's reverse the call on the field.  Until that starts happening, all other tweaks just don't matter.

20 hours ago, cba fan said:

what i don't understand is why BB could not challenge the spot being a yard or more off. Which it was. He then would have won that challenge and had a third challenge given to him for later use.

They then could have spotted the ball at the new correct spot via determination on replay and then remeasured for first down.

But apparently he can only challenge that the first down was not made. Why? They clearly marked it wrong by at least a yard. Still kinda inconclusive if he made first down line to gain or not so call stands. First down. Call was not confirmed so it was inconclusive.

Then to confuse us further apparently BB can ask the refs to review two items on one challenge. The spot and PI.  Not sure if it was a picplay/PI or other offensvie PI,.  Romo basically said BB was a genius for taking advantage of kinda a loop hole. And Romo says they should have respotted it correclty by at least a yard+ and then remeasured.

ok what kind of loophole did mangenious find and how would it have worked or backfired? If spot call is overturned in BB favor by respotting as I think it should have been, and PI was determined not a foul. Does BB lose the challenge or win it? He got ONE right and ONE wrong. Does he get a half a challenge returned. lol...????

The 'must be clear to reverse/grant a first down call' rule has always been there.  It's supposed to deter coaches from wasting time on meaningless 1-yard challenges that don't impact anything.

In the end, they could have moved the ball 1-yard and it still would have been a 1st down.  The PI was nothing even close to warrant a discussion based on how they've reviewed those instances this year.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:05 AM, PatsFanNH said:

I think the solution is pretty simple.  You guys just need to cheat a little harder.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t oppose this, but I think the NFL should adopt the college rule where every play is reviewed. 

21 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Your coach made a rookie Coach mistake and challenged a Spot. That cost him a challenge that gets you a TD. 

Get rid of the coaches challenge. Review every play real-time ALA NCAA. And Buzz down if an official review is needed. There fixed. 

You really want to hand every questionable outcome of a play to Riveron? 

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

You really want to hand every questionable outcome of a play to Riveron? 

well no the NCAA solutions requires an actual competent Replay Official at the game. And also Firing Riveron would help the Officiating problems as well 

My BIGGEST issue with the replay. Is it is put in place to get the call RIGHT. Too often after Replay they STILL GET IT WRONG. 

so if that is the Case GET RID OF REPLAY all together 

Edited by MAJBobby

I go the other way.  A coach can challenge anything.  Holding, Pi, Fumble whatever.  They have 2 and possibly 3 if first 2 are correct.  You lose a TO or take a delay of game penalty if wrong.  That's it.  No booth review, automatic review.  Empower the refs to make the right call in the moment.  Not call games with the eye in the sky always not always there.  

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMO the problem is that challenges are bandaids on an open sore in the first place.

The real issue is that refereeing is not consistent from game to game and sometimes not even within games.  Fix that and they'll be less challenges.  Make the referees full time, have standardization meetings, and have telecons where game decisions are reviewed for correctness and consistency and the refs are graded after the game, just as the players are internally by their coaches based upon film review.

Spots of the ball could easily be fixed with technology.  In 2016, the NFL put quarter-size sensors inside the football during the 2016 preseason.  The sensors sat under the laces.  It's not known how positionally accurate they turned out to be, and I believe the program was D/C'd, but there is really no reason to rely on a ref's eyeballs followed by two sticks and a chain to figure out where the football wound up.   Positional sensor technology continues to improve.

Put sensors in the ball, and while you're at it white stripes on it for contrast ?

There are a lot of things you can do. Why not put body cams on refs and tie each one to a partner in a booth somewhere that watches the screens in realtime to help them with calls and non/calls.  IT's not like the NFL can't afford it.