Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Not to mention that Baltimore is the best Team in the NFL.  After watching them the last few weeks they really do have the best offense and the best defense in the NFL.  I mean look at what they did to NE & the LA Rams. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. He's not going to be great every game. Every qb has a bad game now and then. It's been a while since he had a bad game (Philly, really; he was half-decent vs. Cleveland).

Just to be clear, I personally think this was one of his worst games of his career, and wasn't just bad. 

I was more commenting on fan reaction, than quality of play. He is basically getting a 1 game pass because of the last few weeks. 

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To me, there's a difference. 

Are we calling them and they aren't working (which is what I see), or is Daboll not calling plays that should be effective against the blitz?

The answer seems to be the first (calling and not working)

IMO yes #1.  However  this has been a problem in other games.  10 days to prepare and you know this is coming from the Ravens as well.  I feel like Daboll should have had a better plan than some screen passes and some deep balls that haven't worked all season.  Some of that is on Allen as well, but … its an OC job to find an answer during game plan time.  Not stick with what hasn't worked in any game yet.

For instance the Ravs are known to get burned on the outside.  Why no jet sweeps that have worked very well for us?  Why Singletary not run outside more when it was working fairly well.  Instead he goes against the grain and runs inside and Gore outside on the goal line losing yardage.  Absolutely mind boggling to me.  Sure Daboll schemes guys open sometimes and Allen doesn't hit them sometimes.  Ok but what about the rest.  We never do anything that goes against a teams known weakness.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

Just to be clear, I personally think this was one of his worst games of his career, and wasn't just bad. 

I was more commenting on fan reaction, than quality of play. He is basically getting a 1 game pass because of the last few weeks. 

He's had worse games. At least he avoided the crushing INTs, and while he fumbled once on a crushing blindside hit (anyone would have fumbled on that play; thanks, Knox!), he held onto it on many other crushing blows. The ball security was good yesterday, which is partly why they were able to hang around.  He was far worse - absolutely awful - vs. NE both this year and last season and against GB last season. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He was running for his life, but on a few of those situations, he didn’t need to be.  The right move was to hang in the pocket and to step up.  

If the Ravens blitz and play Cover 0, that means one man is coming unlocked.  Josh needs to recognize where the pressure is coming from and make them pay.  

Yea it was a bad OL performance but I think Allen was a bigger letdown.  Regardless, I think the fan base can’t base everything on this one game.  Baltimore has been really good vs opposing QB’s

Their NT was pushing Morse back a few feet all day.  The Raven's DL made our OL look pretty bad.  I've been impressed with the progress of our OL over the past 3 or so games.  The Bill's OL looked like they did our first or second game this year, or dare I say like last year's OL.  They were the most disappointing unit in yesterday's game in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

I disagree.  I think the first half was his 2nd worst half of this season.  And the only reason it wasn't his worst was that he didn't throw an INT.  The fumble wasn't all on him as most QB's fumble after getting hit in the back by an edge rusher that fast off the snap.

Where I differ with you is the 2nd half where IMO he played well.  The drops were a big deal and if our guys make those plays and we get the flag for PI we win this game and Allen ends up looking good in the process. 

7 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Their NT was pushing Morse back a few feet all day.  The Raven's DL made our OL look pretty bad.  I've been impressed with the progress of our OL over the past 3 or so games.  The Bill's OL looked like they did our first or second game this year, or dare I say like last year's OL.  They were the most disappointing unit in yesterday's game in my opinion.

And this was why we probably didn't run any of those gadget shovel passes or reverses to McKenzie.  They might have ended in disaster given the Ravens penetration.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

*****, that looks like another drop to me. 

Again, it could be just video tricks because I cant slow them down.  Coaches film will say more.  This is the evidence I have to work with though and to me,  I see a ball in Browns hands.

26 minutes ago, BananaB said:

*****, that looks like another drop to me. 

I think that Brown has proven he has great hands and the Jags defender did just enough to disrupt the pass. In fact it borders on PI but is probably a good no call. I don't think its a drop. But as others have said does Peters come through a bigger wide receiver there on that same play? Brown isn't that big a body. This is why I have been and will continue to scream for Duke Williams on that exact play. Peters wouldn't have gone through Duke to break it up.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I think that Brown has proven he has great hands and the Jags defender did just enough to disrupt the pass. In fact it borders on PI but is probably a good no call. I don't think its a drop. But as others have said does Peters come through a bigger wide receiver there on that same play? Brown isn't that big a body. This is why I have been and will continue to scream for Duke Williams on that exact play. Peters wouldn't have gone through Duke to break it up.

100% agree. I think this is the right take. Robert Woods isn't making that catch, either... Peters was all over him and got enough of Brown's body to disrupt. Borderline PI, agreed.

Not sure why the coaches are resisting the obvious. Duke is a big body with hands... that is the biggest missing ingredient with the offense. Tell Tyler Kroft to rest his foot, and give Duke some opportunities at TE. 

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I agree with everything you say here except the borderline PI.  That was amazing coverage and he did nothing to throw a flag at.  He was on Browns rear the entire way and never interfered.  Just amazing perfect coverage.  Brown is just the wrong receiver for that particular playout.  I think Duke would have boxed him out better like you said.

• Like (+1) 1

We played the best team in the league and played like absolute ratshit and could/should have won on the last play.

If Allen plays 10% better, we win.

Things are looking up, but we need to minimize the margins between our best and worst

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The pass was on the money, but i don't think it was a drop either. Regardless, Allen put it where he had to on that play, and it was a money play. Just good D by Peters.

It wasn’t a bad pass but given the coverage it wasn’t where it needed to be. Ideally the ball would have been down and away from Brown so only he could get his hands on it.

I blame his OC more. Allen was getting destroyed by the blitz and Dabbol did not make a single adjustment to help his young QB out...

where were the quick slants, jet sweeps, bootlegs , screens. all he did was call that stupid WR bubble screen that the ravens sniffed out all day long. he called it again on the final drive of the game which made me want to throw my tv out the window. 

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is something they will work on in practice no doubt.  Defense sending the house and beating Cover 0 coverage.  

What might work in Allen’s favor is that Pittsburgh plays a lot of zone, whereas NE and BAL play man-to-man because their CB’s are strong.  

You might not be dejected but there were several emotions responses on Bills Twitter.  They boiled down to:

”Josh Allen sucks”

”Josh Allen doesn’t suck, but his OL and WR’s do”

”Brian Daboll sucks and needs to be fired.”

All of these are severe overreactions after a bad performance to a defensive secondary that is very good 

True story. I was in the stands for a Bills Pats game, Bills were playing well and some NE fans around me were commiserating about Brady, his struggles and maybe he was done.  Then McKelvin opted for a return and put the ball on the carpet...

Fans are not always not dumb. 

26 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

I blame his OC more. Allen was getting destroyed by the blitz and Dabbol did not make a single adjustment to help his young QB out...

where were the quick slants, jet sweeps, bootlegs , screens. all he did was call that stupid WR bubble screen that the ravens sniffed out all day long. he called it again on the final drive of the game which made me want to throw my tv out the window. 

Quite a few young guys that hopefully review film study the tape and learn a lot from yesterday's game.  Their growth and response is more important than their play yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen was Real Bad yesterday.  Real Bad.  However, and without question, he gets a third year to work this out (or not).  He's not EJ Manuel fer chrissakes, and not by a long shot.  And I think that's a good thing.

I'm not dejected about what happened yesterday.  At all.  I just want reasonably consistent O play week after week.

The Bills, most likely, will make the playoffs again this year.  And they will certainly finish > .500, which is a major "yay" in the Book of Groin.  Longer term, I think they need to change O coordinator (again) and to get a couple of big, strong, and speedy guys at WR.

Take it from your pal, Groin.  You love this nickname, and if you deny it then you are lying.  :-)

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm sure the 22 will show a few misses by Josh...Im going to give extra points to Lamar because he was getting hit as he threw this ball.

Set aside the nature of the Raven's offense and I marveled at how nice the screens were set up. We need to do better here....and Josh had some bad touch on some screens / check downs later on.

I think generally Josh did get outplayed in this one, mainly because the early misses on all those deep passes. Again,  I think theses were bad support by Daboll. Bad calls in swirling winds, and then our short passing game looked poorly executed. That didnt help Josh's case. 

Nevertheless, John Brown fights for that perfectly thrown slant and we maybe win (or send to OT at least).

I agree. Jackson played better, it’s not debatable. But it’s not like he was HoF out there and Josh was HS. 

they both played pretty bad, but Jackson was less bad. He gets credit for hitting a wide open TE 15 yards in front of him, no doubt. 

• Like (+1) 1