Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He obviously does he's a pro but he has even admitted to putting more time into the short and intermediate game this past summer

Thanks.  I was not aware he had actually said that.

Common sense would say he worked on it in the off season and works on it every day seeings to how he is a professional and all with nothing else to do besides play football.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Thanks.  I was not aware he had actually said that.

Common sense would say he worked on it in the off season and works on it every day seeings to how he is a professional and all with nothing else to do besides play football.

Of course he does he's a pro. but he had a lot more glaring weaknesses in other areas that he had to put more time into

Now that's some of those areas look cleaned up he could focus on the deep ball. and as I said earlier his deep-ball accuracy is affected because of bad lower body mechanics

He worked all off season on accuracy in the short to intermediate game. 

Anyone want to complain about those throws?

Now imagine him working all off season focusing like that on his deep ball---which he probably took a little for granted considering how effective he was with it as a rookie.  Not saying it was ignored no but a lot of mechanical work is happening with him plus a whole new set of WRs.  He'll get it.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He obviously does he's a pro but he has even admitted to putting more time into the short and intermediate game this past summer

He said it and I believe McDermott and Daboll both said it.

Opinion with absolutely no evidence behind it:  I think Josh hits those passes regularly in practice.  I think he was hitting them in practice last week and that's why they got called in the game.  I can't tell you if he's throwing flat or with arc or in wind or in calm or whatever, but when he talks about it in pressers (like today's)  he's just too calm and collected about it IMO  6:04 into the presser https://www.buffalobills.com/video/josh-allen-we-ve-gotta-be-ready

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He said it and I believe McDermott and Daboll both said it.

Opinion with absolutely no evidence behind it:  I think Josh hits those passes regularly in practice.  I think he was hitting them in practice last week and that's why they got called in the game.  I can't tell you if he's throwing flat or with arc or whatever, but when he talks about it in pressers (like today's)  he's just too calm and collected about it.

6:04 into the presser

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/josh-allen-we-ve-gotta-be-ready

Said what

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never said he couldn't throw the short stuff but the majority of people did

Welllllllll.....

for Josh's 2018 season

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/josh-allen/ALL529264/2018/all/qb-grid

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Said what

" putting more time into the short and intermediate game this past summer ". 

I didn't hear Josh say that, actually, but McDermott and Daboll both said that was the focus.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Welllllllll.....

for Josh's 2018 season

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/josh-allen/ALL529264/2018/all/qb-grid

" putting more time into the short and intermediate game this past summer ". 

I didn't hear Josh say that, actually, but McDermott and Daboll both said that was the focus.

I thought I heard Josh say it but regardless I think it's clear

I also have my own opinions on Allen and his deep ball accuracy and why he's off but it's a long read .. more thread worthy

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I thought I heard Josh say it but regardless I think it's clear

I also have my own opinions on Allen and his deep ball accuracy and why he's off but it's a long read .. more thread worthy

Pull up a chair, I'll pour you a glass of 20 year port (or a beer if that's more to your liking), I got time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never said he couldn't throw the short stuff but the majority of people did

And his completion percentage did reflect that last year ... And his timing in the Rhythm passing game has improved ten fold which accounts for his uptick in Completions

But I don't think deep ball is a base layer of measurement because you need all the pieces. We have 1 guy who is consistent deep and 1 guy in foster with potential but is wildly inconsistent

People also think a ball 40 yards downfield is a gimme just because the wr has a few steps... But the Bills defense has had wrs running deep 40 yards downfield and QBs have taken shots but they haven't allowed an air Completion of 40 yards this year Im pretty sure

Rodgers couldn't throw deep coming in and he got 3 years on the bench to work on his game. Josh will be fine

Sorry, part of my point was, I don’t think he is a very accurate/precise passer in general because of the issues I said above. I think a large part of the perception of being more accurate in the short/intermediate is just shifting what types of passes he is throwing a majority of the time, not making huge strides as an actual thrower. I thought I was seeing a change the last three weeks , but then Sunday happened and I am wondering if I was wrong.  He’s made some improvements in addition to taking some of the underneath stuff. But he’s moved the needle from a 52% passer to a 59% passer. 

I really liked his last 3 weeks before Baltimore.  But Sunday was a rough one.

Just now, Mango said:

Sorry, part of my point was, I don’t think he is a very accurate/precise passer in general because of the issues I said above. I think a large part of the perception of being more accurate in the short/intermediate is just shifting what types of passes he is throwing a majority of the time, not making huge strides as an actual thrower. I thought I was seeing a change the last three weeks , but then Sunday happened and I am wondering if I was wrong.  He’s made some improvements in addition to taking some of the underneath stuff. But he’s moved the needle from a 52% passer to a 59% passer. 

I really liked his last 3 weeks before Baltimore.  But Sunday was a rough one.

All QBs have ups and downs, especially one that was considered very green

a 7-point jump which I expect will finish at at least 60% would be a great improvement

Whew caught up on this gem of a thread. 

@thebandit27my favorite part from jrober was when he was so pumped to be riding the tannehill wave with his fantasy team.  Isn’t he having a career year in efficiency metrics now on his second contract but QBs unlike TEs are done developing after 2 years. 

were 9-4 and he’s still learning. Let the kid keeping winning and growing.  Super interested in how he rebounds again?  Kid has shown he can get up from a bad play or game and deliver.