Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

Not dejected.  Played a very good defense.  Line was having problems and receivers dropping passes which made for a tough day for the offense. They were in position to tie it up and go to overtime.  He is improving and the Bills look secure at the QB position for years to come.

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think you fail to understand how hard it is to find a good pass catching tight end.

So are you saying that...

Good players at any position don't grow on trees?

That good prospects don't enter the league as finished products?

That some players need time to refine their game, and in some cases even to develop basic skills that are required of the position?

That a guy with relatively little experience at his position may take longer to develop than others?

That it's criminally stupid to focus only on what a young player does poorly and ignore what he does well and what he can learn to do well?

Asking for a friend.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So are you saying that...

Good players at any position don't grow on trees?

That good prospects don't enter the league as finished products?

That some players need time to refine their game, and in some cases even to develop basic skills that are required of the position?

That a guy with relatively little experience at his position may take longer to develop than others?

That it's criminally stupid to focus only on what a young player does poorly and ignore what he does well and what he can learn to do well?

Asking for a friend.

All of this is true.

More so with some positions than others.

For example, the running back or middle linebacker who shows nothing for two years probably isn't going to be any good (little learning curve). 

Tight end has arguably the steepest learning curve of any position in the league.

Knox problem isn't catching the ball, it's taking his eyes off the ball before it arrives.

Have him catch 5,000 passes this offseason and he'll probably be a lot better next year.

He has no problem getting open which is typically the hardest thing you can teach a receiver. 

Edited by jrober38

Just now, jrober38 said:

All of this is true.

More so with some positions than others.

For example, the running back or middle linebacker who shows nothing for two years probably isn't going to be any good (little learning curve). 

Tight end has arguably the steepest learning curve of any position in the league.

Knox problem isn't catching the ball, it's taking his eyes off the ball before it arrives.

Have him catch 5,000 passes this offseason and he'll probably be a lot better next year.

He has no problem getting open...

Now do QB.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Now do QB.

They usually don't get a whole lot better after their second season as a starter.

Historically speaking (going back 20 years), the biggest jump in a QBs play will come between their first and second season as a starter. 

There are a few outliers, but they are few and far between. 

Edited by jrober38

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They usually don't get a lot better after their second season as a starter.

Historically speaking (going back 20 years), the biggest jump in a QBs play will come between their first and second season as a starter. 

There are a few outliers, but they are few and far between. 

You have to realize that nobody could take you seriously at this point, right?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

You have to realize that nobody could take you seriously at this point, right?

Why? Is what I said wrong?

Is it common for quarterbacks to really improve their play after two years as a starter?

Asking for a friend....

Just now, thebandit27 said:

If you have to ask at this point...

Obviously my history is true. 

The list of guys who have done it over the past 20 years is limited to Drew Brees, Eli Manning and maybe Matt Stafford (hurt his 2nd season but played really well prior to injury). 

Otherwise most guys are what they are after two years as a starter. 

With that said, I think Josh Allen desperately needs an elite wide receiver who can stretch the field. That should be the biggest priority for the Bills this offseason. If he's still missing deep balls next year then we have a major problem on our hands. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Tennessee is a good team now. Tannehill has made them a different team surprisingly. They were a mediocre one when we played them with Mariota.

Dallas is a underachieving .500 team with bad coaching.

The Bills still haven't beaten anyone, IMO. 

Agreed. 

Tennessee were terrible with Mariota as QB. Their kicker also missed three field goals and was cut the next day. 

With Tannehill they look like they could make a playoff run, if they can find a way into the post season. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The list of guys who have done it over the past 20 years is limited to Drew Brees, Eli Manning and maybe Matt Stafford (hurt his 2nd season but played really well prior to injury). 

With that said, I think Josh Allen desperately needs an elite wide receiver who can stretch the field. That should be the biggest priority for the Bills this offseason. If he's still missing deep balls next year then we have a major problem on our hands. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm 

He is the highest rated QB in the NFL right now.

49 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Hot take coming through.

I'll give him another year or two. He plays a position that arguably has the steepest learning curve in the league from college to the pro level.

Most rookies at his position, like the 8th overall pick in the draft, contribute very little their first season

wrong

37 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think you fail to understand how hard it is to find a good pass catching tight end.

all the teams that have one (or two) didn't find it as hard as the Bills have...annually.

43 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Tennessee is a good team. I also think Dallas is good despite their record. Having said that, the Bills haven't won in Pittsburgh in the regular season since 1975.

The Tennessee iteration that the Bills faced stunk on ice.

Dallas was a quality win.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

wrong

all the teams that have one (or two) didn't find it as hard as the Bills have...annually.

The Tennessee iteration that the Bills faced stunk on ice.

Dallas was a quality win.

Sorry, which first round rookie tight ends had significantly better seasons than Dawson Knox is on pace to produce thus far?

Dallas was a dominant performance, but there's little evidence they're actually a good team this year. 

Josh played like garbage and Daboll reverted back to early season Daboll. His only answer for Cover 0 is to throw deep. The 49ers showed the Ravens defense is weak on the edges and I think we called one or two plays that exploited that weakness. If Josh can start hitting those 20+ throws even 25% of the time he's a franchise QB and we win that game by 10. The long sacks also have to stop, those are inexcusable at this point in his career.

19 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sorry, which first round rookie tight ends had significantly better seasons than Dawson Knox is on pace to produce thus far?

Dallas was a dominant performance, but there's little evidence they're actually a good team this year. 

Why limit it to 1st rounders?  They are all rookies learning the position with the "steepest learning curve in the NFL", no?

But since you asked:  Noah Fant, Evan Engram, OJ Howard (same draft as Engram) , Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz (same draft as Eifert).

Then there have been other rookies recently:  George Kittle, Hunter Henry, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed.

Hard to find good TE's?  Eifert, Ertz, Kelce and Reed were all drafted in the same year!

The problem with Knox is that he was never a pass catcher in college...

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why limit it to 1st rounders?  They are all rookies learning the position with the "steepest learning curve in the NFL", no?

But since you asked:  Noah Fant, Evan Engram, OJ Howard (same draft as Engram) , Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz (same draft as Eifert).

Then there have been other rookies recently:  George Kittle, Hunter Henry, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed.

Hard to find good TE's?  Eifert, Ertz, Kelce and Reed were all drafted in the same year!

The problem with Knox is that he was never a pass catcher in college...

I think I heard that Knox never caught a TD in college.  Is that correct?  That's absolutely unbelievable if accurate.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Pittsburgh is a terrific home team. They are historically one of the best primetime home teams in the league... if not the best. 

Anyone expecting an easy win is kidding themselves. Despite them having a 3rd stringer starting they are a good team and the Bills haven't beaten a good team all year.

To me, the defenses in this game are a wash, when you include their home field advantage.  Basically, our offense has to outplay theirs, and I can't imagine that not happening.  How many points do you really think that Pittsburgh is going to put up on our defense?  Feels like just another wet-blankety response here.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Agreed. 

Tennessee were terrible with Mariota as QB. Their kicker also missed three field goals and was cut the next day. 

With Tannehill they look like they could make a playoff run, if they can find a way into the post season. 

No fan base loves to find a way to downplay and dismiss victories like Bills fans!

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

No fan base loves to find a way to downplay and dismiss victories like Bills fans!

Denver-top 6 defense overall and against the pass? Doesn't count because reasons.

Dallas-#9 overall defense, #7 vs the pass, and 9th in YPA allowed to opposing QBs? Doesn't count because reasons.

Washington-#11 overall defense and #11 against the pass? Doesn't count because reasons.