Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

54 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Get better WRs, TEs and RBs.  We are married to Joshy thru 2021.

Keep - Brown, Beasley

Replace - Knox, WR3

Supplement - SIngletary with another real RB

Also continue to bring in the best 8-10 linemen you can find.  They don't have to be on the roster today.

They clearly need a #1 (Not that Brown is not very good) & a TE, plus O lineman.

All you need to know, is to watch that beast on San Fran make the critical catch against New Orleans.

6’ 5” minimum for a TE & no Smurf for the WR. Josh isn’t highly accurate by any means. So, that means giving him the “throw it up” option to yuuuge Receivers in the Wind, Sleet and Snow of Home Turf is ideal. OBD has never got this.

23 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Like many, I was really disappointed by a bad performance by Josh Allen.  I also was very annoyed to find many excuses to mask what was clearly a below average QB performance.

But here is the thing, Baltimore’s defense has been playing really well this season - specifically their pass defense.  While the offenses has been hyped to epic proportions by the media, the defense flies slightly under the radar.  Not unlike Buffalo, their secondary is very good.

In Baltimore’s 9 game win streak here is how opposing QB’s performed vs Baltimore:

Andy Dalton

21/39   239 yards   0 TD/1 INT

Loss 23-17

Russell Wilson

20/41  241 yards 1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 30-16

Tom Brady

30-46   285 yards  1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 37-20

Ryan Finley

16-31  167 yards.   1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 49-13

Deshaun Watson

18-29  169 yards.  0 TD/1 INT

LOSS 41-7

Jared Goff

26-37  212 yards   0 TD/2 INT

LOSS 45-6

Jimmy Garoppolo

15-21  165 yards  1 TD/1 INT

Loss 20-17

Josh Allen

17-39  146  1 TD/0 INT

Loss 24-17

So again, I’m not going to give Allen a pass.  He was below average and an average QB performance probably wins this football game.   Of course their were protection issues and dropped passes but we need to see more from Josh - especially on those deep passes that he can’t connect.

But outside of Wilson and Brady (2 HOF QB’s), I’m not sure that any of the other QB performances vs. the Ravens wins this football game.  Opposing QB’s have not really put up many yards against the secondary, including several “good” offenses who had opportunities to get garbage time yards.   In fact, Allen’s bad performance is close to how poorly other QB’s have performed - really bad!

So It’s quite possible that Sunday’s game was simply Allen struggling against a well-coaches, aggressive defense, with 2 very good corners.   It was frustrating to see our “franchise QB” play so poorly, but I also don’t think one game is enough of a sample size to overreact.  

Wow, there are a lot of crappy QBs in the league, aren't there?

I wish I knew what went into this game.  Why did Allen stick in the pocket and take repeated hits? Did he not recognize the blitzes? Do we not have hot reads to give him quick options to unload the ball?  Many more.  Hopefully it's a learning experience for him.

17 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I'm thinking Allen's problems are mostly mental/emotional coming into the games.    I don't know if it is the pressure of playing in front of a jam packed stadium full of your own fans or what.  I suspect that has a lot to do with it.   Maybe he is putting an excessive amount of pressure on himself when he runs out of that tunnel in front of tens of thousands of googly eyed fans practically worshiping him for what they think he might become.   That has to be intimidating. 

Perhaps the solution to the lack of consistency from Josh Allen can be found in his pregame routine for home games.   Maybe the guy needs to meet with his receivers on a practice field game day mornings (other than the stadium) for home games and throw a hundred passes before the game until his guys are catching everything he throws.   Or perhaps change his routine in some other meaningful way to get him feeling loose at the start of the games.    It's the coaches' job and Josh's job to figure that out.

If this offense played close to their potential with consistency as the defense mostly does, this team would beat every other team in the NFL who didn't play to their potential.

And they could do it as soon as this year if they could manage to get it together here at the end of the season going into the playoffs.

There's clearly a mental component to it in that, as Josh has said himself, he needed to take some of the easier throws the D is giving.  That would move the chains, flip the field, and get us into a rhythm.  But those throws were there, they would have been difference makers if he hit them, a couple times taking the shot is fine - it just went on too long.

As far as the misses on deep passes though,  I'm not sure going to another field would help.  Part of the problem is the nasty swirling winds in New Era.

You can't replicate them somewhere else.  Do they practice in New Era during the week?  Maybe that's part of the problem and the Bills need to set it up to have a deep throw practice IN New Era.

It's also a possibility that it isn't just Josh that's the difference on those overthrows.  Maybe the throws are exactly where he expects the receiver to be based on practice, but in the game the receiver 1) doesn't release as clean off the line and gets bumped off his route or held and/or 2) runs the route slightly. differently  The point isn't to make excuses for Josh, but to point out that in fact, in the game, there are other variables that you can't replicate by going to a practice field and tossing balls to his receivers (who would then go into the game with tired legs) - sheesh! 

What could be done though, is to time the routes precisely in practice, and then time them in the game, and see if different route running in games could be part of the issue and if so brainstorm how to adjust.

OK one last thing.  People talk all the time about Josh needing to throw with more of an arc so his WR can track it better.  The really long missed throws had arc to them.  Later in the game when he threw some on-target throws that were dropped by Beas and not handled by Singletary, they were flatter.  I have heard Jim Kelly on radio saying that (when Fitz was here) he talked to Fitz about needing to throw more on a line in New Era.  Maybe part of Josh's problem is being coached to throw an arc that isn't appropriate to our wind and in fact, he needs to throw flatter?  It's a trade-off though because it's more difficult for the WR to handle (Beasley makes that one if it's more of an arc)

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t.

Go Bills!!!

17 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Of course the narrative is that Peters made a great play on the ball to win the game. The eye in the sky doesn’t lie. Looks like a drop by Brown and a very accurate throw by Allen. 

Brown has to box out there. 

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Get rid of Lee Smith. 

Need at least one good WR and another high round WR. 

A RB who is a home run threat would also be a great addition. 

And now we are hearig the Bills win easily against the Steelers.?

Considering the Steelers are playing with their 4th string  QB(they traded their then #3 to Jags after Week 1)the Bills D shouldn't have any issues stopping their O. All we need is our O to produce some points, avoid costly turnovers and a win should happen. 

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And now we are hearig the Bills win easily against the Steelers.?

What makes you think they don't?   I'm surprised by this, you're usually such an optimistic fan, always coming on after wins, lol. 

Edited by Tenhigh

Part of the issue (also a good thing) is that they still don’t know/haven’t decided where his ceiling is - once they do, they can settle on what kind of complimentary pieces the offense needs in order to be successful.  Two years in a row they’re asking Allen to win games by himself.  At some point they need to put in a competent structure.  They’ve admitted they didn’t know John Brown would be this good - so what does that tell you about their strategy coming into the year?  Gore is washed.  They blew a second round pick on a guard.  They still don’t have a tight end and Baltimore has a handful.  It’s time for Beane to get his sh- together when it comes to building an offense.

2 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

Get better WRs, TEs and RBs.  We are married to Joshy thru 2021.

Keep - Brown, Beasley

Replace - Knox, WR3

Supplement - SIngletary with another real RB

Also continue to bring in the best 8-10 linemen you can find.  They don't have to be on the roster today.

Knox would be a "supplement" guy.  He's a raw rookie who has done a lot of great things and some astounding lapses. 

But we need more than 1 TE, and Kroft has not cut it.

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Part of the issue (also a good thing) is that they still don’t know/haven’t decided where his ceiling is - once they do, they can settle on what kind of complimentary pieces the offense needs in order to be successful.  Two years in a row they’re asking Allen to win games by himself.  At some point they need to put in a competent structure.  They’ve admitted they didn’t know John Brown would be this good - so what does that tell you about their strategy coming into the year?  Gore is washed.  They blew a second round pick on a guard.  They still don’t have a tight end and Baltimore has a handful.  It’s time for Beane to get his sh- together when it comes to building an offense.

I agree with the latter part of this, but the former part - that's a "chicken and egg" quandry.  They need to give Josh top-notch help in order to *see* where his ceiling is.

Josh should not have to be making passes to Knox and Singletary downfield and he needs a guy who can "box out" Peters and catch that last one.

• Like (+1) 1

Dawson Knox is a rookie tight end who is 23rd in the NFL in yards at his position.

He's right behind TJ Hockenson who was the #8 overall pick in the draft this year. 

Do people not realize that it usually takes 2-3 years for tight ends to produce?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Dawson Knox is a rookie tight end who is 23rd in the NFL in yards at his position.

He's right behind TJ Hockenson who was the #8 overall pick in the draft this year. 

Do people not realize that it usually takes 2-3 years for tight ends to produce?

So many excuses for Dawson Knox. Does it take 2-3 years to learn how not to drop a critical pass that's right in your hands uncontested? Because he does it every week.

You can either catch the ball or not. Drops don't improve in the NFL.

Edited by thebandit27

Just now, thebandit27 said:

So many excuses for Dawson Knox. Does it take 2-3 years to learn how not to drop a critical pass that's right in your hands uncontested? Because he does it every week.

You can either catch the ball or not. Drops don't improve in the NFL.

What are you suggesting?

Should we cut him? Is that your assessment of Dawson Knox?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm "suggesting" that a pass catcher that can't catch the ball is not much of a pass catcher.

Hot take coming through.

I'll give him another year or two. He plays a position that arguably has the steepest learning curve in the league from college to the pro level.

Most rookies at his position, like the 8th overall pick in the draft, contribute very little their first season. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Hot take coming through.

I'll give him another year or two. He plays a position that arguably has the steepest learning curve in the league from college to the pro level.

Most rookies at his position, like the 8th overall pick in the draft, contribute very little their first season. 

There are very basic skills that an NFL player at his position needs to have coming into the league. Being able to catch an easy pass is one of them. He routinely drops throws that hit him cleanly in both hands. That isn't going to go away; drops just don't improve in the NFL.

You can be patient with him if you want; I say get a real TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Pittsburgh is a terrific home team. They are historically one of the best primetime home teams in the league... if not the best. 

Anyone expecting an easy win is kidding themselves. Despite them having a 3rd stringer starting they are a good team and the Bills haven't beaten a good team all year.

Tennessee is a good team. I also think Dallas is good despite their record. Having said that, the Bills haven't won in Pittsburgh in the regular season since 1975.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

There are very basic skills that an NFL player at his position needs to have coming into the league. Being able to catch an easy pass is one of them. He routinely drops throws that hit him cleanly in both hands. That isn't going to go away; drops just don't improve in the NFL.

You can be patient with him if you want; I say get a real TE.

Sounds simple. How do we get a real tight end?

Should we spend a first round pick on one, like teams have done in recent years on guys like Hockenson, OJ Howard or Hayden Hurst to get the same production out of them that we're getting out of Dawson Knox?

Just now, jrober38 said:

Sounds simple. How do we get a real tight end?

Should we spend a first round pick on one, like teams have done in recent years on guys like Hockenson, OJ Howard or Hayden Hurst to get the same production out of them that we're getting out of Dawson Knox?

Nope. Spending a first on a TE is a wasted resource--they rarely produce enough.

But there's no reason to sign Tyler Kroft instead of Jared Cook, who's clear and away better than anything they have now.

Or they can go get Henry or Hooper or Ebron in FA.

Point is, don't put a guy on the field that can't catch 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Nope. Spending a first on a TE is a wasted resource--they rarely produce enough.

But there's no reason to sign Tyler Kroft instead of Jared Cook, who's clear and away better than anything they have now.

Or they can go get Henry or Hooper or Ebron in FA.

Point is, don't put a guy on the field that can't catch 

I think you fail to understand how hard it is to find a good pass catching tight end.

• Like (+1) 1