Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

For the bolded... that's a play call.  If he is throwing to a guy at the LoS that's call.  The ball is always going there.  Doesn't matter if Beasley got open.  Beasley's job would have been to clear out then block.

That's like saying on a screen pass... well they had so and so open 20 yards downfield.  It doesn't matter because the call was a screen pass.

I don't agree, but I'll leave it.   I'd suggest a look at some of the stuff that's been written about the levels concepts the Bills are running and what Allen's progressions are in different circumstances that suggest he could make that read and choose where to go.

But of course in other systems and designs you'd be right and neither of us really know.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't agree, but I'll leave it.   I'd suggest a look at some of the stuff that's been written about the levels concepts the Bills are running and what Allen's progressions are in different circumstances that suggest he could make that read and choose where to go.

But of course in other systems and designs you'd be right and neither of us really know.

I will do that

It was a bad game ... but if anyone thought his progress would be straight up .. you were kidding yourself. The goal is year over year improvement not week to week. All QBs have duds .. here is a stat line you might recall "14–28 for 123 yards, no TDs and 4 interceptions (including a pick six) prior to being pulled in the 4th quarter. QB rating of 22.5" What scrub was this???? Thomas Brady vs Buffalo in 2003. It sucks .. I had visions of the top playoff spot dancing in my head .. but considering I picked the Bills to be 8-8 this year .. I am pleased with where the team is and where Josh is. Next year I will be looking for even more. Go Bills! 2020 season Super Bowl contenders.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Like many, I was really disappointed by a bad performance by Josh Allen.  I also was very annoyed to find many excuses to mask what was clearly a below average QB performance.

I will loop back here to say this.

I've seen it said on here this was Josh Allen's worst game this season (you know who you are).

McDermott and Daboll aren't exactly scintillating conversationalists in their pressers.  But generally speaking, they shoot straight: they say what they mean, they mean what they say.  There have been other games where they have called out Allen, not by name, but pretty pointedly "We've got to take better care of the football." "We've got to keep two hands on the football in the pocket".  "We've got to have situational awareness and take care of the football in those situations (said after a game with several picks)"  or even "He's got to take what the defense is giving him".

This week, I really didn't catch a hint of that from McDermott or from Daboll in their pressers.  They were all about "it takes 11 guys to execute a play on offense" and "usually it's more than 1 responsible"

So I don't think McDermott nor Daboll put that bad offensive performance all or predominantly on Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will loop back here to say this.

I've seen it said on here this was Josh Allen's worst game this season (you know who you are).

McDermott and Daboll aren't exactly scintillating conversationalists in their pressers.  But generally speaking, they shoot straight: they say what they mean, they mean what they say.  There have been other games where they have called out Allen, not by name, but pretty pointedly "We've got to take better care of the football." "We've got to keep two hands on the football in the pocket".  "We've got to have situational awareness and take care of the football in those situations (said after a game with several picks)"  or even "He's got to take what the defense is giving him".

This week, I really didn't catch a hint of that from McDermott or from Daboll in their pressers.  They were all about "it takes 11 guys to execute a play on offense" and "usually it's more than 1 responsible"

So I don't think McDermott nor Daboll put that bad offensive performance all or predominantly on Allen. 

What I did notice was in the post game presser, mcdermott mentioned Allen's 'overthrows' which I thought was interesting.

He's just stating what we all saw but in the past he would just say there are plays he wants back. 

Edited by london_bills

15 minutes ago, london_bills said:

What I did notice was in the post game presser, mcdermott mentioned Allen's 'overthrows' which I thought was interesting.

He's just stating what we all saw but in the past he would just say there are plays he wants back. 

That is true, but he said it in the context of broader critique.  Said we didn't get into a good rhythm offensively early, that when we get field position we have to do something with it - that can be on Josh but on play calling and OL execution too.  When asked how he'd evaluate Josh Allen first he did trot out the "some plays he'd like to have back" chestnut but then added on "some times we could have helped him out too".  Said we needed to work on "throwing and catching fundamentals".  Mentioned that we had some "players who dropped some balls, Josh had a couple of overthrows".  He got really wishy-washy when asked if it was a line of scrimmage thing, said he'd have to look at the film and give a better answer tomorrow.

So it seemed to me like he put Josh's miscues (the overthrows) into a context of other offensive miscues and was taking the viewpoint "plenty to spread around here".

Just my take perhaps.

5 hours ago, MDH said:

It wasn’t a bad pass but given the coverage it wasn’t where it needed to be. Ideally the ball would have been down and away from Brown so only he could get his hands on it.

Is allen accurate enough to do this precision? I still can't work that out! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is true, but he said it in the context of broader critique.  Said we didn't get into a good rhythm offensively early, that when we get field position we have to do something with it - that can be on Josh but on play calling and OL execution too.  When asked how he'd evaluate Josh Allen first he did trot out the "some plays he'd like to have back" chestnut but then added on "some times we could have helped him out too".  Said we needed to work on "throwing and catching fundamentals".  Mentioned that we had some "players who dropped some balls, Josh had a couple of overthrows". 

So it seemed to me like he put Josh's miscues (the overthrows) into a context of other offensive miscues and was taking the viewpoint "plenty to spread around here".

Just my take perhaps.

Yes. Just the mention of 'overthrows' was I think the first time I heard him acknowledge what they are, in lamens terms as it were. I read this as Allen needs to be better there, which is fair.

Yes he mentioned about not getting into a good rythmn early (which he often says as its been an issue in earlier games), I read this partly as Daboll can help Allen to get into a rythmn with more higher percentage completions etc, which is also true. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

Yes. Just the mention of 'overthrows' was I think the first time I heard him acknowledge what they are, in lamens terms as it were. I read this as Allen needs to be better there, which is fair.

Yes he mentioned about not getting into a good rythmn early (which he often says as its been an issue in earlier games), I read this partly as Daboll can help Allen to get into a rythmn with more higher percentage completions etc, which is also true. 

I got to wonder what those throws look like in practice for Josh.  You can't imagine that Daboll would keep dialing them up if he never hit them or only a few times.

10 hours ago, Groin said:

Allen was Real Bad yesterday.  Real Bad.  However, and without question, he gets a third year to work this out (or not).  He's not EJ Manuel fer chrissakes, and not by a long shot.  And I think that's a good thing.

I'm not dejected about what happened yesterday.  At all.  I just want reasonably consistent O play week after week.

The Bills, most likely, will make the playoffs again this year.  And they will certainly finish > .500, which is a major "yay" in the Book of Groin.  Longer term, I think they need to change O coordinator (again) and to get a couple of big, strong, and speedy guys at WR.

Take it from your pal, Groin.  You love this nickname, and if you deny it then you are lying.  ?

I donno. I kinda like "crotch" better. :Lol:

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I got to wonder what those throws look like in practice for Josh.  You can't imagine that Daboll would keep dialing them up if he never hit them or only a few times.

That’s interesting! ?

Surely, he must be hitting them in practice.

Heard Mike Lombardi on his podcast today. Gives grudging respect to the Bills, but specifically outs Allen as being “ inaccurate” and “just not able to make the big plays”. A bit lazy with that assessment, but not far off.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

13 hours ago, MDH said:

It wasn’t a bad pass but given the coverage it wasn’t where it needed to be. Ideally the ball would have been down and away from Brown so only he could get his hands on it.

I disagree.  He is Buffalo's best wr.  Game on the line and he is 1 on 1.  Truth is Brown ran a sloppy route.  He never threatened Peters outside.  Peters was able to make a play on it.  

Get better WRs, TEs and RBs.  We are married to Joshy thru 2021.

Keep - Brown, Beasley

Replace - Knox, WR3

Supplement - SIngletary with another real RB

Also continue to bring in the best 8-10 linemen you can find.  They don't have to be on the roster today.

Edited by ScotSHO

8 hours ago, london_bills said:

I'm thinking Allen's problems are mostly mental/emotional coming into the games.    I don't know if it is the pressure of playing in front of a jam packed stadium full of your own fans or what.  I suspect that has a lot to do with it.   Maybe he is putting an excessive amount of pressure on himself when he runs out of that tunnel in front of tens of thousands of googly eyed fans practically worshiping him for what they think he might become.   That has to be intimidating. 

Perhaps the solution to the lack of consistency from Josh Allen can be found in his pregame routine for home games.   Maybe the guy needs to meet with his receivers on a practice field game day mornings (other than the stadium) for home games and throw a hundred passes before the game until his guys are catching everything he throws.   Or perhaps change his routine in some other meaningful way to get him feeling loose at the start of the games.    It's the coaches' job and Josh's job to figure that out.

If this offense played close to their potential with consistency as the defense mostly does, this team would beat every other team in the NFL who didn't play to their potential.

And they could do it as soon as this year if they could manage to get it together here at the end of the season going into the playoffs.