Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

6 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes, more than a few drops...at one point there were 3 or 4 in short order.  Not winning play.  Yes, Allen had a subpar stat game...but, he got stepped on, wrapped the ankle and was back out there....he was running for his life.....Ravens blitzed a lot, and Josh/Bills didn't handle it well imho.  All those sacks were only partially Allen's fault.  Lots of cases of guys coming in unabated as they say.  Did I hope for more, yes.  He will do better in the future.....this was a great learning opportunity for a young QB.  As for the long throws...he was ok on them year one.  This year is a problem.  My view is it is a mechanics issue and will get resolved in time.  It also think he is unloading long to fast....the rule is "as fast as possible, but no faster"....he is just firing without stepping into the throw and putting a normal motion on the throws.  Better days ahead.

I hope Dabol learned from the game that we can sneak a tight end out for a pass after he blocks, Run some slant plays, maybe try the quick pass game to counter those blitzs

Edited by BBills88

40 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I just rewatched it.

The ball isn't at Brown's hands in this shot.

In the next frame it looks like Peters knocks the ball away. 

He certainly celebrated like he got a hand on it. 

Both receivers had to dive to try and catch the ball at full stretch.

This is supposed to show accuracy?

Now post the throws to Brown, Foster and Knox in the first quarter....

He never touched the ball.  I posted the still images.  The ball most certainly IS in Browns hands.  If you don't see that your blind or have a motive.

Hands4.jpg

I know its not the clearest shot but there is only so much I can do with Microsoft paint and a zoomed in screenshot from a twitter video.  Its clear as day regardless if you use your brain.

Edited by Scott7975

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Disagree.  Watch the video I posted somewhere around here.  There is a better angle of the play.  Almost a front shot of Brown.  Its Browns own hands that knock the ball away.  Even on this angle look at the placement of the defenders arm.  It is outside of Browns arms.  These screengrabs are after the Brown already pushed the ball forward with his own hands.  Its fast but pretty clear in the other angle if you keep pausing.  I could be wrong.  We will know for sure with coaches film when it can be slowed down but that's what I see.

If you look at this picture vs your shot you see the defender arm in the same position it is now with both Browns hands on the ball.  There is no way the defender in a split second brought his arm inside Browns hands and knocked it away...

hands2.jpg

Scott, I respect your view but TBH, I simply can't see the ball in the above front shot on any of the devices available to me, so I got to go with what I can see on the condensed film.  As you say with different angles on all-22 we may see something more.

I think the bottom line is that whether or not the defender got a hand in there, we do see other WR around the league haul in similar plays, so it can be done.

Does Allen need to make better decisions and play better at times, Yes. 

But this isn't all on him. 

He delivered a catchable ball for the TD or at least the 1st down, and it wasn't caught.

Same goes for a handful of other balls in the game (Beas, Singletary, Knox) and some other plays which were either not well designed to have an outlet, or the plausible outlet guy didn't have his head around at the top of the drop.

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He never touched the ball.  I posted the still images.  The ball most certainly IS in Browns hands.  If you don't see that your blind or have a motive.

Please don't go there.  I see it differently.  I know you're not talking to me here, but I am neither blind, nor do I have a motive.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Scott, I respect your view but TBH, I simply can't see the ball in the above front shot on any of the devices available to me, so I got to go with what I can see on the condensed film.  As you say with different angles on all-22 we may see something more.

I think the bottom line is that whether or not the defender got a hand in there, we do see other WR around the league haul in similar plays, so it can be done.

Does Allen need to make better decisions and play better at times, Yes. 

But this isn't all on him. 

He delivered a catchable ball for the TD or at least the 1st down, and it wasn't caught.

Same goes for a handful of other balls in the game (Beas, Singletary, Knox) and some other plays which were either not well designed to have an outlet, or the plausible outlet guy didn't have his head around at the top of the drop.

Please don't go there.  I see it differently.  I know you're not talking to me here, but I am neither blind, nor do I have a motive.

I can understand if you cant see the ball looking at it from a phone.  I can see it clear as day on my computer monitor.

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Singletary wasn't even able to get two hands on the football.

I don't know if he would've gotten to it, but he definitely mistimed his jump.  Fouts saw and mentioned the same thing during the broadcast. Said that it looks like he could of gotten that extra needed step to get to the ball, had he not jumped early. But he's a RB, and it's hard to blame him.  Josh missed plenty of throws, outside of that one.  But he also was dealing with a lot of blitzing, and often times, our guys were not winning their matchups. As a whole, our offense got dominated by their defense. Josh needs to improve, but he also needs a better supporting cast.  I know that we made a ton of moves this past offseason, but that only moved the needle from historically bad to respectable.  Now we need to move the needle again, from respectable to good.  Keep improving the o-line, and add a dynamic weapon in the passing game, starting with a big but fast receiver that can match up well.  Someone who maybe would've caught that ball that Brown got beat on.  Brown would also have a lot more success, if he slides down to WR2. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well maybe not knocked away, but textbook coverage that usually results in an incompletion. Peters is a good player (although a first-class jerk).

Yes I don't blame Brown for the drop.  It was outstanding coverage and a tough catch.  I merely comment on the fact that the ball wasn't knocked away by the defender therefor technically it is a drop.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure two stills tell you everything about the play. 

Irregardless of that, the fact is, we see WR and TE make completions on those kind of accurate contested throws every week

We seldom see our guys make it happen though

Edit: here is a still with different timing.  It appears to me that Peters got the back of his hand under and in front of the ball and deflected it forward (2nd picture).  Based upon this, I believe the ball was defensed by Peters, but my point that other WR on other teams do sometimes manage to haul in these high DOD, well-defended catches, and I can't remember the last time I saw one by a Buffalo Bill player, let alone a WR.

image.png.0f7d1d4e9d4c66de366df64a148f8bc8.pngimage.png.8fada1fe9b60d38deb458c3f5b85f3d8.png

That is some damn good defense. Brown ain't that easy to cover on a slant given his speed. You know how you can tell Peters is good? He repeatedly gets kicked off of teams yet other good teams covet him.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Yes I don't blame Brown for the drop.  It was outstanding coverage and a tough catch.  I merely comment on the fact that the ball wasn't knocked away by the defender therefor technically it is a drop.

I have  a very different definition of what a "drop" is, but reasonable minds can disagree. The pass was on the money, but i don't think it was a drop either. Regardless, Allen put it where he had to on that play, and it was a money play. Just good D by Peters.

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When they amount for -1 yards of offense, that's pretty nonexistent ;)

It's not a commentary on just this season, either. Only Chan in the past 20 years or so consistently called them.

To me, there's a difference. 

Are we calling them and they aren't working (which is what I see), or is Daboll not calling plays that should be effective against the blitz?

The answer seems to be the first (calling and not working)

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

That is some damn good defense. Brown ain't that easy to cover on a slant given his speed. You know how you can tell Peters is good? He repeatedly gets kicked off of teams yet other good teams covet him.

Yeh it's great defense no doubt, but I have to wonder if Brown could have been a little stronger in leverage inside and keeping Peters off his shoulder. That's one of those plays that goes to the man who wants it more imo

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I can understand if you cant see the ball looking at it from a phone.  I can see it clear as day on my computer monitor

I'm looking on a computer monitor.  It's not an Atari, but neither is it the latest and greatest modern swag.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yeh it's great defense no doubt, but I have to wonder if Brown could have been a little stronger in leverage inside and keeping Peters off his shoulder. That's one of those plays that goes to the man who wants it more imo

That's exactly my take. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To me, there's a difference. 

Are we calling them and they aren't working (which is what I see), or is Daboll not calling plays that should be effective against the blitz?

The answer seems to be the first (calling and not working)

I think part of the problem is Allen; he's gotta keep the blitz beater passes at the front of his mind or this is going to happen over and over. Beasley is a blitz beater if there ever was one. I just wish they had a more reliable TE in that regard too. Knox's drop yesterday was really disappointing. There have just been too many of those, and you have to think that it's going to color Allen's decision-making with regard to him in the near future. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Brown is a really good player, but he's not Julio Jones. He's a lot smaller than Peters. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

The lack of touch on deep balls is what drives me nuts. Throughout the season, he has missed wide open guys. Its happened several times when he has had time to throw and was not hurrying to complete a pass. I could give him a break if it was just at the Ralph where the wind has been awful in a few games this year but it has happened away from home as well. I don't know how you fix this but if he had connected on even one of those 3 misses on long passes yesterday, I think we win that game.

He had fantastic touch on the deep throws to Knox, Singelterry & Beasley - Bease dropped his pass, Suingleterry left his feet a half second to soon and Knox made a nice one handed catch on a ball that literally landed on his bicep.

And don't forget the deep shot to Foster.  That was on target and the only way the Ravens could prevent the completion was to commit PI.  I would also argue that a bigger, more physical WR easily high points that ball and makes the catch.

• Like (+1) 1

For the record, I don't think people are dejected after this game, just disappointed. 

Josh has been slowly getting better since the Patriots debacle. I think he looked like he had been hitting a nice stride the 2-3 weeks prior to Baltimore. We just expected his showing to be not exactly what we got against NE, and he failed to deliver. But I think the fan base is a bit higher on him now after this loss than they were the NE loss because of some of the progress he has shown. But as we know this league is "what have you done for me lately", and he just made his own leash shorter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

For the record, I don't think people are dejected after this game, just disappointed. 

Josh has been slowly getting better since the Patriots debacle. I think he looked like he had been hitting a nice stride the 2-3 weeks prior to Baltimore. We just expected his showing to be not exactly what we got against NE, and he failed to deliver. But I think the fan base is a bit higher on him now after this loss than they were the NE loss because of some of the progress he has shown. But as we know this league is "what have you done for me lately", and he just made his own leash shorter. 

Not to mention that Baltimore is the best Team in the NFL.  After watching them the last few weeks they really do have the best offense and the best defense in the NFL.  I mean look at what they did to NE & the LA Rams. 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Agreed. He's not going to be great every game. Every qb has a bad game now and then. It's been a while since he had a bad game (Philly, really; he was half-decent vs. Cleveland).

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm looking on a computer monitor.  It's not an Atari, but neither is it the latest and greatest modern swag.

That's exactly my take. 

How about those above.  Please tell me you see his red glove touching the brown ball.  I don't mean this in a dickish way but even though these are not hd pictures... if you don't see it you might need a new monitor :) 

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I have  a very different definition of what a "drop" is, but reasonable minds can disagree. The pass was on the money, but i don't think it was a drop either. Regardless, Allen put it where he had to on that play, and it was a money play. Just good D by Peters.

To me a drop has a singular definition.  If it hits the hands and is not caught, its a drop.  However there are different degrees of drops in my head.  That is not one I would B word at the receiver about. It was outstanding coverage.  Not all drops are equal and that surely wasn't Beasley or Knox's drops.