Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I wouldn't call it a drop if it never hit his hands. I would say, however, that (irrespective of that play) Brown shows a bothersome lack of competitiveness on critical passes.

It hit both of Browns hands.

hands2.jpg

hands 3.jpg

The ball was not blocked by the defender.

Edited by Scott7975

4 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

It was early and often, and we did a very poor job of countering. The best way to counter blitzing, is with quick screens. Use the other teams aggression against them. Unfortunately, we have a below average screen game.

We tried a couple screens early and they were blown up for loss IIRC.  But there were quick passes available way more often than Josh took them.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We tried a couple screens early and they were blown up for loss IIRC.  But there were quick passes available way more often than Josh took them.

Probably true but playcalling did not help. Third down on last possession is an example- Singletary picks up outside letting free man right up middle and Knox isn't turned around at the top of drop to be a hot. Zero chance of that play succeeding even if properly blocked...there's no route accommodating for the blitz. 

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

hands2.jpg

hands 3.jpg

Of course the narrative is that Peters made a great play on the ball to win the game. The eye in the sky doesn’t lie. Looks like a drop by Brown and a very accurate throw by Allen. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And here's one where he did what needed to be done...imo they are going to have to make it a hard and fast rule that if the defense shows blitz w/corner off wideout the route needs to be cut and that's where it's going 90% of the time. Then wait for cover0, adjust protection, and hit deep on double move. That should have been the gameplan the whole time imo.

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Is it an overreaction to say Josh Allen's deep ball is absolutely horrendous? 

Depends...have you used that adjective to describe everything about him since his days at Wyoming?

Because if the answer is yes, then it's going to be really difficult to have it taken seriously when you use it now.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Probably true but playcalling did not help. Third down on last possession is an example- Singletary picks up outside letting free man right up middle and Knox isn't turned around at the top of drop to be a hot. Zero chance of that play succeeding even if properly blocked...there's no route accommodating for the blitz. 

No argument

Line was bad.  Daboll didnt provide answers to the endless pressure.  Allen missed on a few deep throws that could have changed the game early. Too many drops and receivers not competing for tough catches yet again  .  Ravens defense was tough, Wink sent the house and the Bills didnt make them pay  .  On to the Steelers, hopefully Allen learns from this and Daboll had a better game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

hands2.jpg

hands 3.jpg

Wow. Looked like Peters got it clean on the game broadcast replay.

Now sometimes still shots can be manipulated (not by you, just by timing a pause just right), but that does make me want to see it again.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Of course the narrative is that Peters made a great play on the ball to win the game. The eye in the sky doesn’t lie. Looks like a drop by Brown and a very accurate throw by Allen. 

I mean the play was there.  Josh delivered it to browns hands.  Brown had both hands on it.  I cant blame him for dropping it really because it was outstanding coverage so still a good defensive play.  It's just that Peters never touched the ball.  That is a drop.  A big physical receiver in the same position probably catches that ball.  I think Duke Williams would have caught that ball.  Not a knock on Brown because Brown is good.  It's more saying that we don't have that big physical guy that will grab that like an AJ Green or a Gronk etc.

We threw 6 screen passes per NFL scoring.

They went for -4, 2, a drop, 1, 13 (called back for holding) and 0 yds

When it's 15% of pass attempts (6/39) and 29% of completed passes, I don't think you can call it "nonexistant"

"Ineffective" is the correct term.

When they amount for -1 yards of offense, that's pretty nonexistent ;)

It's not a commentary on just this season, either. Only Chan in the past 20 years or so consistently called them.

When it's 15% of pass attempts (6/39) and 29% of completed passes, I don't think you can call it "nonexistant"

Yes and I don't think that is counting the screen to McKenzie that went for a nice gain-

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Depends...have you used that adjective to describe everything about him since his days at Wyoming?

Because if the answer is yes, then it's going to be really difficult to have it taken seriously when you use it now.

Take your own advice and cut the hyperbole.

His mobility is good. His accuracy when he gets to drive the ball is good. His decision making has got better.

His deep ball is one of the worst I've ever seen. The ball routinely lands no where near his target. 

People laughed at EJ Manuel for throwing the ball out of bounds in a practice into a tent.

Allen had Robert Foster running free down the field for a touchdown and threw the ball out of bounds yesterday.

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'm not sure two stills tell you everything about the play. 

Irregardless of that, the fact is, we see WR and TE make completions on those kind of accurate contested throws every week

We seldom see our guys make it happen though

Edit: here is a still with different timing.  It appears to me that Peters got the back of his hand under and in front of the ball and deflected it forward (2nd picture).  Based upon this, I believe the ball was defensed by Peters, but my point that other WR on other teams do sometimes manage to haul in these high DOD, well-defended catches, and I can't remember the last time I saw one by a Buffalo Bill player, let alone a WR.

image.png.0f7d1d4e9d4c66de366df64a148f8bc8.pngimage.png.8fada1fe9b60d38deb458c3f5b85f3d8.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As I mention above, below average screen game.  I don't know why.  When we call it?  How it's designed (poor disguise)?  Maybe both, along with other factors.