Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Some yes and some no to this. Josh missing the deep balls impact how the game can be called. They literally played one on one with no safety much of the game because they had no concern Josh could hit one of those. That shrinks the field drastically. 

There are other ways to counter a blitz than deep outs. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed

I gave McKenzie a drop on the end zone ball that hit him in the hands

I feel like Devin mis-timed his jump; he probably could've had that one

I don't think he could have caught that even if he hadn't jumped. It wasn't a terrible throw, but it wasn't as accurate as it could have been. 

Just now, RichRiderBills said:

I thought the last throw to Brown was a drop. Yes, Smith got a hand in to knock around, but i felt it could have been wrangled in.

I wouldn't call it a drop if it never hit his hands. I would say, however, that (irrespective of that play) Brown shows a bothersome lack of competitiveness on critical passes.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

I didn’t see a great replay of it, but I think the last pass to Brown was catchable.  The DB was all over Brown, but I don’t think he actually got his hand on the ball.  I could be wrong, though.

Peters knocked it away. It was a great play by the DB on a good throw and a good route. There are good players on the other side too!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm sorry.  17/39 is putrid.  Needs to be better.  Yes, some drops, but also at least 5 poorly thrown balls that would have led to at least 14 points

Bad passes are bad passes and nothing could be done about them but had the drops been caught Josh stat line might look something like 25/39 250 yards 1TD 0 int, is that acceptable to all you haters?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I'd like to see that one again from the eye in the sky. 

Agreed.

Just now, pop gun said:

Bad passes are bad passes and nothing could be done about them but had the drops been caught Josh stat line might look something like 25/39 250 yards 1TD 0 int, is that acceptable to all you haters?

There definitely weren't 8 drops.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Did he really get outplayed by Lamar though?  Maybe if you consider that Lamar found the endzone 3 times whereas Allen could only lead the offense to FG’s for most of the game.  

Other than that, it appeared that both struggled versus good defenses

I think he absolutely got outplayed when you consider the context. Lamar was on the road in a notoriously difficult place to play vs. the slightly better defense by most metrics and without his top target for most of the game. Josh had every advantage and yet Lamar passed for more yards, ran for more yards, did it more efficiently, and his team won. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

allen sucks to start, and was kinda ok after.  the sack fumble was entirely on the blocking, that was disgusting.

as a team, how can we not do anything vs good man coverage and a blitz?  NE and Balt have sick secondaries, and they roughed us up up front, but the missed blocks and that are just too much.

what really stands out to me (and don't get me wrong, Lamar outplayed Josh totally yesterday) is that the ravens have the whole O running plays that are easier to execute, while we have tight ends one on one blocking solid pass rushers, and slow to develop plays vs jailhouse breaks.  obviously allen could read the D pre snap better, and the o line could just do their jobs better, but why are the majority of our plays more complicated than they need to be?

all that said, a power back, real RT (a healthy Ty woulda done) and a big body wr who can run (parker in miami, that rookie in denver, there are a few of these guys out there) would have delivered a win for us today.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Most had a TD (except Watson, Dalton, Goff) 

Everybody threw a pick, Josh did not, but he dd lose a fumble

Josh threw for the least yards

Josh had the worst Y/A

Josh had the worst completion percentage 

I do not understand the comparable. Dude had a very bad game against a good defense. It is OK, as long as it does not become a pattern moving forward. I don't understand the need for everybody to say he did fine. He didn't. 

He was bad. Play calling was bad. Offensive line was bad. All of these things can be true, and it does not have to be a pie/mutually exclusive. He has been better the last 3 weeks. Concerning to have this bad of showing against very good defenses. Hopefully this does not become a pattern. We will find out against Pitt and NE, whose DVOA are both better than Baltimore. If JA lays another clunker against Pitt and NE 2.0, there is cause for concern. If he can carve at least one of them up, it is just part of the maturation process. 

This just makes too much sense and is too rational. You are only allowed to hate Allen or think everything he does is perfect and its always someone else fault. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

His inability to connect on deep throws is very worrying. I’m not saying he needs to complete every deep pass but when receivers are running two steps ahead of the cornerback, at least some of those passes need to land. It’s very hard to win in this league 5 yards at a time. 

Totally. If your a high drafted QB you have to be able to hit them. There just isn't an excuse long term.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not down on Josh today.   I'm down on Dabol, however.

The play calling never seemed to adjust to the Ravens blitzing.  They had 10 days to work on a game plan and came up with something that looked like it was written up in 10 minutes.   Where were the hot reads, screens to make the front 7 back off, 5-yard outlets to the TE, putting the FB in to help with the pass blocking and on and on.   

I know, I know...we've got personnel limitations.  Maybe we can't run those kind of plays enough.   But damn it, that what the OC and other coaches are paid to adjust to.   

I also know Josh feels more comfortable in the spread.   But that played right into the hands of the Ravens blitzers, giving them easy open lanes to the QB.   About the only time I saw a good adjustment was Beasley's TD and 2-point conversion.   Hard to believe that was the only time those routes were open during the game.

The last thing I'm pissed about is how the coaching staff repeatedly left Josh to sit and stew on the sidelines, rather than being in his ear, showing him all-22 photos or just building him up.   There must have been 8-10 shots during the broadcast of him sitting on the bench by himself, looking like he'd just been run over by a bus.   Coaching would have helped his mental state a lot, IMO. 

It's clear the Steelers will bring the same defensive game plan Sunday night.    If the coaching staff doesn't adjust to the 'book' that's now out on Josh, this team doesn't deserve to win a playoff berth. 

End or Rant...

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm not down on Josh today.   I'm down on Dabol, however.

The play calling never seemed to adjust to the Ravens blitzing.  They had 10 days to work on a game plan and came up with something that looked like it was written up in 10 minutes.   Where were the hot reads, screens to make the front 7 back off, 5-yard outlets to the TE, putting the FB in to help with the pass blocking and on and on.   

I know, I know...we've got personnel limitations.  Maybe we can't run those kind of plays enough.   But damn it, that what the OC and other coaches are paid to adjust to.   

I also know Josh feels more comfortable in the spread.   But that played right into the hands of the Ravens blitzers, giving them easy open lanes to the QB.   About the only time I saw a good adjustment was Beasley's TD and 2-point conversion.   Hard to believe that was the only time those routes were open during the game.

The last thing I'm pissed about is how the coaching staff repeatedly left Josh to sit and stew on the sidelines, rather than being in his ear, showing him all-22 photos or just building him up.   There must have been 8-10 shots during the broadcast of him sitting on the bench by himself, looking like he'd just been run over by a bus.   Coaching would have helped his mental state a lot, IMO. 

It's clear the Steelers will bring the same defensive game plan Sunday night.    If the coaching staff doesn't adjust to the 'book' that's now out on Josh, this team doesn't deserve to win a playoff berth. 

End or Rant...

We did call a bunch of screens, many of which were absolutely maddening. Our screen game is pretty terrible even with guys like Singletary, Mckenzie, and Foster. It has been bad all year, I don't really understand it. 

I am unsure if Josh just kept looking deep, trying to make something happen, or there was just a total lack of digs, slants, and crossers. Those would have been really helpful in holding the blitz off. 

It was clear by about the 4:00 mark that the game plan was trash on offense. Which is concerning given 10 days to put one together. 

Edited by Mango

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I am not so sure about that. I think it hit Brown in both hands

I just watched the replay again multiple times and it's not at all clear that Peters ever touched the ball.  He clearly affected Brown's ability to catch it, but it doesn't look like he actually touched the ball.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I just watched the replay again multiple times and it's not at all clear that Peters ever touched the ball.  He clearly affected Brown's ability to catch it, but it doesn't look like he actually touched the ball.  

I see it similarly, again I don't count that a drop, it's a difficult play but not unreasonable to expect your best wideout to make that catch imo

• Like (+1) 1