Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

My issue with the performance yesterday is that Josh has not had a "good game" against any top D this year.  Given, we have not played many good D's.  The Steelers game will be a great test.  We need to neutralize the Steelers blitzing/pass rush ability.  Knox will have to catch the ball close to the line, (get him gloves!); and we can't be throwing high-school 2 yard passes and thinking we will beat top CB's.  Need some more quick hitters to Beasley and Singletary and Knox that open up the run game and mitigate blitzes.  

The Cards moved the ball against the Steelers, before turning the ball over every time they got in the redzone.  Lets see if this offense can solve some of its redzone woes.  

Big game for the offense.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Agree entirely. Nice to have CBs that allow you to take risks. While Allen and his receivers need to do a better job reading those looks pre and post snap, it would also help immensely if Daboll could get his head out of his ass as well. Some of his play calls yesterday, or lack thereof, were terrible. Particularly his run calls. 

The whole game plan was amiss for what they needed to accomplish.

Allen clearly functions better when he starts with quick-hit rhythm throws, and thusly doth the run game follow.

There's no excusing Josh's poor play yesterday. It is, however, quite obvious that the OC either doesn't know how to layer his route concepts to beat the blitz, or doesn't believe that he has the players that can win matchups within those concepts.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

My issue with the performance yesterday is that Josh has not had a "good game" against any top D this year.  Given, we have not played many good D's.  The Steelers game will be a great test.  We need to neutralize the Steelers blitzing/pass rush ability.  Knox will have to catch the ball close to the line, (get him gloves!); and we can't be throwing high-school 2 yard passes and thinking we will beat top CB's.  Need some more quick hitters to Beasley and Singletary and Knox that open up the run game and mitigate blitzes.  

The Cards moved the ball against the Steelers, before turning the ball over every time they got in the redzone.  Lets see if this offense can solve some of its redzone woes.  

Big game for the offense.    

He didn't have a good game against Denver?

1 minute ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I don't feel like JA played a bad game. There were dropped balls that should have been completions.  The OL let him get slammed a bunch of times. A few deep balls  got caught by the wind. JA played a good game  in my opinion.

I'm an Allen guy...he had a BAD game.

The biggest reasons for JA's less-than-stellar performance was a combination of weather, his ongoing inability to accurately hit the long ball, terrible play by the Oline (particularly the left side), overly predictable play calling (especially on runs) and an untimely case of "the drops" by the receivers.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Ignoring the phantom hold thar negated a plus 20 yard run and tacked on 10 penalty yards immediately following the 2 personal foul calls?

Refs were bad both ways they didnt "help" buffalo that dog dont hunt

Speaking of bad calls, there was a long pass on 3rd down late in the game  toward Beasley? was clearly interfered with, i never saw the replay so i might be wrong but I was stunned McDermott didn't challenge it for PI. Yes I know most are overturned but it was a huge play and we then punted with time running dangerously low, i thought it was a terrible no challenge on hos part.  Am i missing something?

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He had a B+ game against Denver, so I'd say good. The offense overall was also better.  It's not all Allen, the whole offense from playcalling, to execution, to Allen missing open guys, to guys dropping balls.  It was all around bad.  They need to correct this.  PIT is MUCH better than Denver on defense.  They looked unprepared for the multiple blitz looks that Balt brings, and PIT brings them as well.  Guys will appear in the backfield from anywhere (safety, DL, LB, etc).   Quick hitters and running well will solve this to some extent.  Also, JA does not throw INT's.  Needs to keep this up w/o being afraid to trust his WR's route running.  Lots on the offense plate for PIT.    

Edited by RyanC883

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

He had a B+ game against Denver, so I'd say good. The offense overall was also better.  It's not all Allen, the whole offense from playcalling, to execution, to Allen missing open guys, to guys dropping balls.  It was all around bad.  They need to correct this.  PIT is MUCH better than Denver.  

Defensively they are both close.  Pittsburgh is worse on offense 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

No. These allen haters are PATHETIC 

ALL QBS HAVE BAD GAMES.

They might as well get used to Allen in Buffalo, this kid is going to be here for YEARS.

He’ll get another season that’s for sure.  After that.... who knows?  By then Beane and McDermott will likely get their second contracts, so you might see them change course if he doesn’t improve.

I understand why people are frustrated with Allen but he has had these games before and he had shown good resiliency 

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm sorry.  17/39 is putrid.  Needs to be better.  Yes, some drops, but also at least 5 poorly thrown balls that would have led to at least 14 points

There were a lot of drops: 

mckenzie, Cole, Knox, Singletary, Brown each dropped at least one pass that hit their hands. 

Thats bad too. The Whole offense got their tails kicked. They had no answer for the blitz and disguise. 

Not a guy on on the team seems to make contested catches 

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

I disagree. Two plays by QB won this game; Lamar's razzle dazzle jump pass, and his dime deep ball while getting hit for the 60 yd TD. Lamar made the big plays,  albeit, those two, and Josh never really did.

I hated this. Not only were the crafty and timely designed runs scooped out, but Josh had some hesitation pulling down and running where he could have helped us.

Improv aside, this was a huge reason why we lost the game and frankly on daboll.

there was no dime ball 60 yard deep TD pass. Where are people coming up with this?  It was blown coverage 10-15 yard pass right in front of Lamar. Anyone can make that play. The TE ran like 50 yards of it. How are people turning that into a dime ball deep pass?

the play started at the Ravens 40 and the pass was caught at the Bills 45

Edited by Scott7975

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yeah, I thought Lamar outplayed him. not by a ton, but he did.  Jackson dropped one right in the bucket to his TE in stride while a Bills players was diving at him. That's a long TD.   He also executed two nearly unstoppable plays by the goal line for passing TD's.  I can't just dismiss those plays.  

He also missed some of his guys downfield and made some truly terrible decisions with the football, as well as displaying the kind of accuracy on the INT that other QBs get routinely killed for.

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Defensively they are both close.  Pittsburgh is worse on offense 

PIT is much worse on offense. PIT has a much better D.  

PIT leads the NFL in sacks with 48.  Balt is in the middle with 33.  And they got to JA easily (good job OL). 

PIT has more INT's than Balt.  18-11.  Not a huge concern as JA throws safe passes, but combine the pass rush with ball-hawking CB Hayden and Safety Fitzpatrick and it is a concern. 

PIT has more fumble recoveries than Balt 15-9.  JA needs to hold onto the ball when he's hit/running.  

Edited by RyanC883

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

He had a B+ game against Denver, so I'd say good. The offense overall was also better.  It's not all Allen, the whole offense from playcalling, to execution, to Allen missing open guys, to guys dropping balls.  It was all around bad.  They need to correct this.  PIT is MUCH better than Denver.  

Denver has the #6 pass defense in football, allowing 6.9 YPA and 216 YPG. They have allow an average passer rating of 87.9.

Pittsburgh has the #5 pass defense in football, allowing 6.9 YPA and 210 YPG. They allow an average passer rating of 81.2.

I wouldn't call them MUCH better.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm an Allen guy too and gave him a D+ for his performance yesterday. Now that most of us have established he was poor yesterday, let's look at the elephant in the room. All the things supporting the QB, not excuses, but things that need to be better. My big thing is the game plan sucked. Last week, before the game I went back and researched all the plays against the Ravens defense leading up to it. It was clear and obvious that running up the middle was a losing proposition and throwing deep passes was tough. I just looked at the log for yesterday's game, first 2 series, 2 runs up the middle-nothing, 3 longish passes results in  a sack and 2 incompletions, 1 run over the right tackle (successful) for 5 yards. This continues for most of the half, then late in the half we start to see changes, more short stuff and edge runs. Daboll switched for the most part in the second half. Of course the die was cast at that point, behind and started getting drops more. I'm baffled that we came out and did the exact opposite of what we should have and has worked for Josh. Daboll outhought himself this time.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Denver has the #6 pass defense in football, allowing 6.9 YPA and 216 YPG. They have allow an average passer rating of 87.9.

Pittsburgh has the #5 pass defense in football, allowing 6.9 YPA and 210 YPG. They allow an average passer rating of 81.2.

I wouldn't call them MUCH better.

I would.  

Sacks: PIT: 48, Denver: 31.   (PIT leads NFL) 

INT: PIT 18, Den 9. (PIT 2nd) 

Fumble recoveries: PIT 15, Den 8. (PIT 2nd). 

Not only is PIT ranked 1 higher on "overall pass D", which takes into consideration who you are playing, the game time (garbage time factors into that), PIT's D is on the field a ton due to its offense.   

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'm an Allen guy too and gave him a D+ for his performance yesterday. Now that most of us have established he was poor yesterday, let's look at the elephant in the room. All the things supporting the QB, not excuses, but things that need to be better. My big thing is the game plan sucked. Last week, before the game I went back and researched all the plays against the Ravens defense leading up to it. It was clear and obvious that running up the middle was a losing proposition and throwing deep passes was tough. I just looked at the log for yesterday's game, first 2 series, 2 runs up the middle-nothing, 3 longish passes results in  a sack and 2 incompletions, 1 run over the right tackle (successful) for 5 yards. This continues for most of the half, then late in the half we start to see changes, more short stuff and edge runs. Daboll switched for the most part in the second half. Of course the die was cast at that point, behind and started getting drops more. I'm baffled that we came out and did the exact opposite of what we should have and has worked for Josh. Daboll outhought himself this time.

This is a great take.  The game plan was awful.  I thought I was watching a HS offense.  McD stated the offense did not get into a rythym.  Well, gee, no shi*.  Your OC was awful. 

The slow starts by Daboll need to stop.  It was a problem against bad teams, and now is a major issue (costing games) against balanced teams like Balt.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Great post.

Same story as the NE game. It was obvious that the game plan needed to be centered on short passes to backs and TEs; zero targets to backs and TEs until the 3rd quarter. And then, magically, they put together a TD drive throwing to backs and TEs.

It's like he feels the need to outsmart himself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He did have a bad game but Daboll is partly to blame. Josh hasn’t been good at deep stuff all year, why open with that? Get him going, limit the hits he is going to take.

Josh likes to deal out hits of his own when running the ball, yesterday it looked like he was rattled after taking so many hit inside the pocket.  Can’t blame him. That’s on the OC. 

Run some draws, screens and slow down that rush. This week will be much more of the same and the Steelers can bring the pain.

Let’s go Daboll, skip that third breakfast plate and script 10-15 plays that will keep Allen upright.