Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Allen missed wide open throws to Brown, Foster and Knox on successive possession in the first quarter. 

All should have been easy completions to receivers running wide open behind the coverage. 

"Wide open" is a bit much. "Had a step" is a much better descriptor there.

Either way, not a good game from Josh, which means you're here today (we missed you these last 3 weeks).

And the other poster is right: Lamar hit a WIDE open Hurst for the game-deciding play. That was the literal difference between the QBs yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

"Wide open" is a bit much. "Had a step" is a much better descriptor there.

Either way, not a good game from Josh, which means you're here today (we missed you these last 3 weeks).

And the other poster is right: Lamar hit a WIDE open Hurst for the game-deciding play. That was the literal difference between the QBs yesterday.

Knox and Foster were wide open. They had two full steps behind the coverage.

The throw to Foster literally landed out of bounds. Allen couldn't even keep the pass in bounds. 

The 3rd play of the game to Brown was harder to judge on TV but I was at the game and it happened right in front of me.

Brown was streaking across the field with a safety on him, wide open, and instead of putting the ball in front of him for him to run under it, Allen threw the ball directly up the field and Brown had to do a 180 to try and catch it. He missed the target there by about 20 yards. 

All three of those plays should have been easy touchdowns. 

Edited by jrober38

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That’s when it really hit me. In Dallas he wasn’t over hyped by the crowd. 

I don’t know if it’s the crowd as much as the defenses and what they are throwing at him. Pressure and disguise.  Dallas was a huge stage and he was great. New England and the Ravens throw stuff and pressure at him unlike anything he’s experienced. But he does seem to get used to it, which is key. Hopefully he can learn to start the game that way.

I think the defense is a bigger issue than the stage, but maybe some of both. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

I'm not dejected. They lost to what is probably the best team in the NFL by 7 points. Josh had a bad game but so did the line and his receivers. IT happens especially against a good D. Two more tough defenses coming. 

Line was bad, QB decisions at times were bad, throws off the mark, drops by receivers- just a poor outing for our offense. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Knox and Foster were wide open. They had two full steps behind the coverage.

The throw to Foster literally landed out of bounds. Allen couldn't even keep the pass in bounds. 

The 3rd play of the game to Brown was harder to judge on TV but I was at the game and it happened right in front of me.

Brown was streaking across the field with a safety on him, wide open, and instead of putting the ball in front of him for him to run under it, Allen threw the ball directly up the field and Brown had to do a 180 to try and catch it. He missed the target there by about 20 yards. 

All three of those plays should have been easy touchdowns. 

You have this habit of waaaaaaaaay overselling your point about "BAD JOSH". It doesn't help your credibility. Just call it like you see it.

Yes, had a step. Not wide open. Hurst was wide open. Like college open. Brown/Knox/Foster had a step. 

The Brown play is probably a TD. The others who knows. I mean, Beasley, Knox, Singletary, and McKenzie (would've been a TD as well) all had brutal drops in the 2nd half, so how sure are we that those balls get caught?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

You have this habit of waaaaaaaaay overselling your point about "BAD JOSH". It doesn't help your credibility. Just call it like you see it.

Yes, had a step. Not wide open. Hurst was wide open. Like college open. Brown/Knox/Foster had a step. 

The Brown play is probably a TD. The others who knows. I mean, Beasley, Knox, Singletary, and McKenzie (would've been a TD as well) all had brutal drops in the 2nd half, so how sure are we that those balls get caught?

This is the NFL. A full step behind the coverage is wide open in the NFL.

Robert Foster was wide open, and the ball landed out of bounds.

Allen's deep ball is horrible. The ball routinely lands nowhere near the open receiver. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

This is the NFL.

A full step behind the coverage is wide open in the NFL.

Does your google alert remind you to post only when the bills lose ? 

We missed you the last few weeks.  Must have been a busy thanksgiving ?

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Glad you posted this thread OP.  Why do other people on this board act like no good QBs have bad games or struggle in games?  I mean it’s absurd the way Bills fans panic vomit nonsense out of their mouths after a game we lose.  

Baltimore is playing like the best team in the NFL.  We just lost by one score and had a chance at OT at end of game as we clawed our way back.  It’s not so much that Josh didn’t have a good game, it’s more that the very, very good Baltimore defense had a great game.  

Great defenses not only make plays, but also get you out of your rhythm.  As the OP showed, this was no anomaly, Balt been doing this a lot this year to opposing QBs.  

And now we have tape on them against us and can use it to be better prepared to adjust if we face them again in the playoffs.

Some other people need to stop hitting the panic button every time we don’t go undefeated.  We showed we can beat the class of the AFC right now in how we played NE and Balt even though the scoreboard didn’t work out in our favor.  And going into the playoffs is all that matters now so we can hopefully get a crack at them again in the post season.

I'd say a degree of frustration lies with the fact that we still as an offense do not have an answer to Cover 0 and a way to beat an all out blitz; frankly we are lucky that other teams have not used this as aggressively as Baltimore yesterday (expect Pittsburgh to blitz the hell out of us as well & NE again). There is plenty of blame to go around from Allen, to the OL, to the WRs, to the RB and to all of the offensive coaches and to McD to not making this a bigger focus to overcome this blueprint against us. It has been a major weakness since week 4, the only difference is the lack of Josh hero ball. 

We also had opportunities to score and didn't take advantage of them: Josh unable to hit a deep pass to save his life, Singletary slowing down and mistiming his jump, Knox not able to catch a ball on 3rd down (again), Josh taking a bad sack to knock us out of field goal range. If he hit the pass to Brown, he would have scored a TD and the FG opportunity we missed due to the sack was another 3 points; that's 10 points as an offense we left on the field, without needing extra plays. 

By all means, my hat is tipped to Baltimore's Defense - it was awesome as it always is and their game plan perfectly attacked a weakness that was has been on film since week 4 that we still do not have an answer for. 

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Brown was most likely a TD and the Josh sack killed a FG opportunity that is 10 points right there we left on the field. Josh was the same QB as in the NE game minus his hero ball INTs and our offense still can't consistently beat Cover 0. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This is the NFL. A full step behind the coverage is wide open in the NFL.

Allen's deep ball is horrible. The ball routinely lands nowhere near the open receiver. 

Ah yes, ratchet it up!

No, one step is not wide open. It's open. WIDE OPEN is Hayden Hurst with nobody within 10 yards of him. Wide open is Mecole Hardman being able to stop and wait for Mahomes' deep throw to reach him and Jonathan Jones still being 2 full yards away when the ball arrived. Was that not the NFL too?

Just be honest about it. It's fine to call Allen out for missing throws; you don't have to exaggerate. You're already wrong about him; don't die on the "he's horrible and I'm right" hill.

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'd say a degree of frustration lies with the fact that we still as an offense do not have an answer to Cover 0 and a way to beat an all out blitz; frankly we are lucky that other teams have not used this as aggressively as Baltimore yesterday (expect Pittsburgh to blitz the hell out of us as well & NE again). There is plenty of blame to go around from Allen, to the OL, to the WRs, to the RB and to all of the offensive coaches and to McD to not making this a bigger focus to overcome this blueprint against us. It has been a major weakness since week 4, the only difference is the lack of Josh hero ball. 

We also had opportunities to score and didn't take advantage of them: Josh unable to hit a deep pass to save his life, Singletary slowing down and mistiming his jump, Knox not able to catch a ball on 3rd down (again), Josh taking a bad sack to knock us out of field goal range. If he hit the pass to Brown, he would have scored a TD and the FG opportunity we missed due to the sack was another 3 points; that's 10 points as an offense we left on the field, without needing extra plays. 

By all means, my hat is tipped to Baltimore's Defense - it was awesome as it always is and their game plan perfectly attacked a weakness that was has been on film since week 4 that we still do not have an answer for. 

Brown was most likely a TD and the Josh sack killed a FG opportunity that is 10 points right there we left on the field. Josh was the same QB as in the NE game minus his hero ball INTs and our offense still can't consistently beat Cover 0. 

I already said as much.

I, unlike some others, am fully capable of calling it down the middle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Ah yes, ratchet it up!

No, one step is not wide open. It's open. WIDE OPEN is Hayden Hurst with nobody within 10 yards of him. Wide open is Mecole Hardman being able to stop and wait for Mahomes' deep throw to reach him and Jonathan Jones still being 2 full yards away when the ball arrived. Was that not the NFL too?

Just be honest about it. It's fine to call Allen out for missing throws; you don't have to exaggerate. You're already wrong about him; don't die on the "he's horrible and I'm right" hill.

He's not horrible. 

His deep ball is horrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Allen missed wide open throws to Brown, Foster and Knox on successive possession in the first quarter. 

All should have been easy completions to receivers running wide open behind the coverage. 

Baltimore didn’t need to use safeties deep. this is most likely because they saw Josh hit only one deep ball all season prior and took their chances. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

17/39 was the lowest percentage. 

146 was the fewest yards. 

I’m going way out on a limb here, I know, but Baltimore and New England just may have pretty good defenses. Better than anything our offense is ready for right now. We get better even over the course of a single game, so there is hope. Right now I just hope we show well next Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chemical said:

Baltimore didn’t need to use safeties deep. this is most likely because they saw Josh hit only one deep ball all season prior and took their chances. 

You're probably right.

We have no vertical passing game and they completely exploited that fact yesterday. 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I'm concerned we got this guy for his cannon and playing in the wind/elements... and he got outplayed on our home field by Brady, Wentz and now Lamar.    I don't even know if Josh understands how to complete a deep pass or if he's just chucking it up there and hoping?  There's no purpose on his deep passes....zero chance for the WR to adjust and run underneath them like a good QB provides.  So I'm not encouraged at all.  At this point in his career he should be taking off.  Baltimore made him a pocket QB yesterday and he failed miserably.  Hopefully Pittsburgh defense is not nearly as productive as Baltimore's.

Did he really get outplayed by Lamar though?  Maybe if you consider that Lamar found the endzone 3 times whereas Allen could only lead the offense to FG’s for most of the game.  

Other than that, it appeared that both struggled versus good defenses

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know if it’s the crowd as much as the defenses and what they are throwing at him. Pressure and disguise.  Dallas was a huge stage and he was great. New England and the Ravens throw stuff and pressure at him unlike anything he’s experienced. But he does seem to get used to it, which is key. Hopefully he can learn to start the game that way.

I think the defense is a bigger issue than the stage, but maybe some of both. 

Agree entirely. Nice to have CBs that allow you to take risks. While Allen and his receivers need to do a better job reading those looks pre and post snap, it would also help immensely if Daboll could get his head out of his ass as well. Some of his play calls yesterday, or lack thereof, were terrible. Particularly his run calls. 

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Did he really get outplayed by Lamar though?  Maybe if you consider that Lamar found the endzone 3 times whereas Allen could only lead the offense to FG’s for most of the game.  

Other than that, it appeared that both struggled versus good defenses

Yeah, I thought Lamar outplayed him. not by a ton, but he did.  Jackson dropped one right in the bucket to his TE in stride while a Bills players was diving at him. That's a long TD.   He also executed two nearly unstoppable plays by the goal line for passing TD's.  I can't just dismiss those plays.  

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed, Josh was not at his best yesterday and it followed a trend where he has a very poor start, but i cant blame it all on the wind, he has done that on multiple games this year.  Have to question pre game prep and coaching.

I am not "upset" about the loss, we did prove that we can play with the bet team in the NFL.  A few drops and a few accurate throws we could have won that game  (the Ravens incredibly bad timed penalties that weren't needed certainly helped).

Ignoring the phantom hold thar negated a plus 20 yard run and tacked on 10 penalty yards immediately following the 2 personal foul calls?

Refs were bad both ways they didnt "help" buffalo that dog dont hunt

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Like many, I was really disappointed by a bad performance by Josh Allen.  I also was very annoyed to find many excuses to mask what was clearly a below average QB performance.

But here is the thing, Baltimore’s defense has been playing really well this season - specifically their pass defense.  While the offenses has been hyped to epic proportions by the media, the defense flies slightly under the radar.  Not unlike Buffalo, their secondary is very good.

(....)

So again, I’m not going to give Allen a pass.  He was below average and an average QB performance probably wins this football game.   Of course their were protection issues and dropped passes but we need to see more from Josh - especially on those deep passes that he can’t connect.

I've only gotten through about 2/3 of the 1st half of the game so far.

But I wish people, including yourself, would roll up that "need to see more on those deep passes" and drop it in the recycling.  Does Allen need to hit those eventually?  Of course.  But taking a couple shots and missing is no harm no foul.

What doomed us yesterday was that Allen was looking for those big chunk plays at times on 2nd down when he should have been hitting Singletary at the LOS with nobody near or John Brown in the flats.  Then it becomes 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 14 and he pretty much has to chuck it, especially after Morse was pushed back and stomped on his ankle.   Take what they give you, move the chains.