Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

Wind led to inconsistent balls thrown early on in the game, and I feel like this led to some drops later once Josh started to get it together.. Couple that with a few mistakes vs a defense that's playing lights out and that's what you get.

Grand scheme of things, the Pats loss keeps the division title in reach, so can't be too upset!

This is our true home field advantage. That swirling wind is something that few, if any, other teams can replicate. We need to find a way to hold onto it lol.

10 minutes ago, motorj said:

Surprised allen hardly had any rush attempts this game, hes usually good for a few 1st downs and a score to open up the plays, it would of been safer than staying in the pocket getting killed by the ol

he hurt his ankle, likely limited his mobility

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Like many, I was really disappointed by a bad performance by Josh Allen.  I also was very annoyed to find many excuses to mask what was clearly a below average QB performance.

But here is the thing, Baltimore’s defense has been playing really well this season - specifically their pass defense.  While the offenses has been hyped to epic proportions by the media, the defense flies slightly under the radar.  Not unlike Buffalo, their secondary is very good.

In Baltimore’s 9 game win streak here is how opposing QB’s performed vs Baltimore:

Andy Dalton

21/39   239 yards   0 TD/1 INT

Loss 23-17

Russell Wilson

20/41  241 yards 1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 30-16

Tom Brady

30-46   285 yards  1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 37-20

Ryan Finley

16-31  167 yards.   1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 49-13

Deshaun Watson

18-29  169 yards.  0 TD/1 INT

LOSS 41-7

Jared Goff

26-37  212 yards   0 TD/2 INT

LOSS 45-6

Jimmy Garoppolo

15-21  165 yards  1 TD/1 INT

Loss 20-17

Josh Allen

17-39  146  1 TD/0 INT

Loss 24-17

So again, I’m not going to give Allen a pass.  He was below average and an average QB performance probably wins this football game.   Of course their were protection issues and dropped passes but we need to see more from Josh - especially on those deep passes that he can’t connect.

But outside of Wilson and Brady (2 HOF QB’s), I’m not sure that any of the other QB performances vs. the Ravens wins this football game.  Opposing QB’s have not really put up many yards against the secondary, including several “good” offenses who had opportunities to get garbage time yards.   In fact, Allen’s bad performance is close to how poorly other QB’s have performed - really bad!

So It’s quite possible that Sunday’s game was simply Allen struggling against a well-coaches, aggressive defense, with 2 very good corners.   It was frustrating to see our “franchise QB” play so poorly, but I also don’t think one game is enough of a sample size to overreact.  

Really appreciate this perspective. 

Allen is trending up. It was a poor game yesterday but the Ravens defense is legit and they’ve made every QB look really bad in this 8 game streak. 

coming back with a good performance and a win this Sunday night would be huge and I think it’ll happen. 

go Bills!

The only thing dejecting is Allen's deep ball, which is laughably bad. 

When you think of all the deep misses to wide open receivers over the course of the year, he should have had like 10-12 more touchdowns and we'd probably have a few more wins.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Kroft was on the field a whole hell of a lot yesterday for someone who hasn't done a damn thing... I get Knox has the dropsies, but at least he does stuff occasionally. 

I get that TE's are used for their blocking abilities, but how many catches did Kroft have yesterday, also, how many catches for the season? There are how many TE's getting more than 100 yards a game, multiple times in a season, yet the Bills TE's have barely hit that mark maybe a handful of times in the past 20 years.

No need to feel dejected, regardless. 

QBs have poor games from time to time. It happens. Yet, even as poorly as Allen and the offense played, we had a chance at the end. It’s all about how Allen and the offense respond. Including Daboll, who had just as poor a game as anyone else, yesterday.

Some fans should try giving credit to the opponent from time to time as well. Far less stressful that way. I’m glad the OP pointed out how tough the Ravens have been against some very good QBs this year. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I get that TE's are used for their blocking abilities, but how many catches did Kroft have yesterday, also, how many catches for the season? There are how many TE's getting more than 100 yards a game, multiple times in a season, yet the Bills TE's have barely hit that mark maybe a handful of times in the past 20 years.

We just need George Kittle. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The lack of touch on deep balls is what drives me nuts. Throughout the season, he has missed wide open guys. Its happened several times when he has had time to throw and was not hurrying to complete a pass. I could give him a break if it was just at the Ralph where the wind has been awful in a few games this year but it has happened away from home as well. I don't know how you fix this but if he had connected on even one of those 3 misses on long passes yesterday, I think we win that game.

He has no touch so get used of it

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

he didn’t get outplayed by Lamar. Lamar has a lot of short fields and blown coverage right in front of him for a 60 yard TD. That was the difference. Not Lamar. 

I disagree. Two plays by QB won this game; Lamar's razzle dazzle jump pass, and his dime deep ball while getting hit for the 60 yd TD. Lamar made the big plays,  albeit, those two, and Josh never really did.

16 minutes ago, motorj said:

Surprised allen hardly had any rush attempts this game, hes usually good for a few 1st downs and a score to open up the plays, it would of been safer than staying in the pocket getting killed by the ol

I hated this. Not only were the crafty and timely designed runs scooped out, but Josh had some hesitation pulling down and running where he could have helped us.

Improv aside, this was a huge reason why we lost the game and frankly on daboll.

Edited by RichRiderBills

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

I disagree. Two plays by QB won this game; Lamar's razzle dazzle jump pass, and his dime deep ball while getting hit for the 60 yd TD. Lamar made the big plays, Josh never really did.

where was the blown coverage wide open receiver in the middle of the field that josh missed. 

lamar definitely played better, but it wasn’t Joe Montana vs Nate Peterman out there.

37 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm concerned we got this guy for his cannon and playing in the wind/elements... and he got outplayed on our home field by Brady, Wentz and now Lamar.    I don't even know if Josh understands how to complete a deep pass or if he's just chucking it up there and hoping?  There's no purpose on his deep passes....zero chance for the WR to adjust and run underneath them like a good QB provides.  So I'm not encouraged at all.  At this point in his career he should be taking off.  Baltimore made him a pocket QB yesterday and he failed miserably.  Hopefully Pittsburgh defense is not nearly as productive as Baltimore's.

I actually think our D made Lamar look pretty much like Josh for the most part. Difference being we got caught on a huge breakdown that let to a very long td. Also had some nice creative playcalling on that td to Snead.  They really didn’t have any breakdowns like that on their side of the ball. 

It was a really defensive game. Our offense is not a world beating offense at this point but had been rolling pretty good the last few weeks.

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

where was the blown coverage wide open receiver in the middle of the field that josh missed. 

lamar definitely played better, but it wasn’t Joe Montana vs Nate Peterman out there.

Allen missed wide open throws to Brown, Foster and Knox on successive possession in the first quarter. 

All should have been easy completions to receivers running wide open behind the coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dubs said:

I'm sure the 22 will show a few misses by Josh...Im going to give extra points to Lamar because he was getting hit as he threw this ball.

Set aside the nature of the Raven's offense and I marveled at how nice the screens were set up. We need to do better here....and Josh had some bad touch on some screens / check downs later on.

I think generally Josh did get outplayed in this one, mainly because the early misses on all those deep passes. Again,  I think theses were bad support by Daboll. Bad calls in swirling winds, and then our short passing game looked poorly executed. That didnt help Josh's case. 

Nevertheless, John Brown fights for that perfectly thrown slant and we maybe win (or send to OT at least).

Edited by RichRiderBills

I'm devastated by yesterday.

A team with a chance to put themselves in control of the AFC with a win allowed a visiting conference opponent to come in their own house, take control of the game, hit a big pass play on a blown coverage, and win the game. Sure the visitors were a more talented team overall, but should the home squad really feel good about losing by a TD simply because they "had a chance" at the end on desperation 4th down pass from their overmatched QB to their so-called #1 WR that was batted down? I think not.

The Patriots should be ashamed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

As one Baltimore CB said, he seemed jittery.  I thought Daboll should have recognized that and dialed back on the deep passes that kept sailing over receivers' heads.  He didn't handle the pressure very well, but as you suggest, he's not alone in that versus Baltimore.  I think it's going to be part of his development.  He will think about his struggles, look at film and try to figure out how he can handle it better.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Like many, I was really disappointed by a bad performance by Josh Allen.  I also was very annoyed to find many excuses to mask what was clearly a below average QB performance.

But here is the thing, Baltimore’s defense has been playing really well this season - specifically their pass defense.  While the offenses has been hyped to epic proportions by the media, the defense flies slightly under the radar.  Not unlike Buffalo, their secondary is very good.

In Baltimore’s 9 game win streak here is how opposing QB’s performed vs Baltimore:

Andy Dalton

21/39   239 yards   0 TD/1 INT

Loss 23-17

Russell Wilson

20/41  241 yards 1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 30-16

Tom Brady

30-46   285 yards  1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 37-20

Ryan Finley

16-31  167 yards.   1 TD/1 INT

LOSS 49-13

Deshaun Watson

18-29  169 yards.  0 TD/1 INT

LOSS 41-7

Jared Goff

26-37  212 yards   0 TD/2 INT

LOSS 45-6

Jimmy Garoppolo

15-21  165 yards  1 TD/1 INT

Loss 20-17

Josh Allen

17-39  146  1 TD/0 INT

Loss 24-17

So again, I’m not going to give Allen a pass.  He was below average and an average QB performance probably wins this football game.   Of course their were protection issues and dropped passes but we need to see more from Josh - especially on those deep passes that he can’t connect.

But outside of Wilson and Brady (2 HOF QB’s), I’m not sure that any of the other QB performances vs. the Ravens wins this football game.  Opposing QB’s have not really put up many yards against the secondary, including several “good” offenses who had opportunities to get garbage time yards.   In fact, Allen’s bad performance is close to how poorly other QB’s have performed - really bad!

So It’s quite possible that Sunday’s game was simply Allen struggling against a well-coaches, aggressive defense, with 2 very good corners.   It was frustrating to see our “franchise QB” play so poorly, but I also don’t think one game is enough of a sample size to overreact.  

Great Post. And puts me a bit at ease with that context. Allen has the lowest yards there. But has the one TD, no INT. 

I think the point about the missed deep throws which would have yanked up the yards, we are yet to know if he can correct those deep balls consistently. We just don't know. 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1