Why You Shouldn’t Feel Completely Dejected Over Josh Allen’s Poor Performance

I'm concerned we got this guy for his cannon and playing in the wind/elements... and he got outplayed on our home field by Brady, Wentz and now Lamar.    I don't even know if Josh understands how to complete a deep pass or if he's just chucking it up there and hoping?  There's no purpose on his deep passes....zero chance for the WR to adjust and run underneath them like a good QB provides.  So I'm not encouraged at all.  At this point in his career he should be taking off.  Baltimore made him a pocket QB yesterday and he failed miserably.  Hopefully Pittsburgh defense is not nearly as productive as Baltimore's.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm not upset with Allen.  The offense had a bad day.  Defense played really well, Hauschka hit 3 FGs ( a welcome site) and two big plays (Bills fumble and long TD pass) were the difference.  Ravens are a good team.  Bills are getting better and will learn from this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

JA was under pressure all day. Yes he struggled but the OL played a huge part in that. I was encouraged that the Bills fought back and almost tied the game. What yesterday told me was the Bills can play with the top teams but Beane needs to have another good offseason in the draft/FA and then the Bills will be able to win these types of games. Buffalo is getting closer though to becoming a legit SB contender. I still think they are a year away.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Glad you posted this thread OP.  Why do other people on this board act like no good QBs have bad games or struggle in games?  I mean it’s absurd the way Bills fans panic vomit nonsense out of their mouths after a game we lose.  

Baltimore is playing like the best team in the NFL.  We just lost by one score and had a chance at OT at end of game as we clawed our way back.  It’s not so much that Josh didn’t have a good game, it’s more that the very, very good Baltimore defense had a great game.  

Great defenses not only make plays, but also get you out of your rhythm.  As the OP showed, this was no anomaly, Balt been doing this a lot this year to opposing QBs.  

And now we have tape on them against us and can use it to be better prepared to adjust if we face them again in the playoffs.

Some other people need to stop hitting the panic button every time we don’t go undefeated.  We showed we can beat the class of the AFC right now in how we played NE and Balt even though the scoreboard didn’t work out in our favor.  And going into the playoffs is all that matters now so we can hopefully get a crack at them again in the post season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not dejected about the loss. I feel the Bills need a few more play makers on offense. Brown, Beasley and Singletary are the only one's who produce on a consistent basis. Kroft has been non-existent this season and Knox is inconsistent as he usually has a key drop or a two a game. Foster and Mckenzie are gadet/situational players that barely contribute. I'd like to see bring in two WR's in the offseason, one of those that can be a true #1 WR who is big, physical and can outleap and outmuscle DB's. I'd also like to see the Bills get a TE that can get open down the middle (assuming Allen doesn't overthrow him).

Allen's arm is just too strong. He is amazing on throws that call for "on a rope" throws but is bad on anything that requires arc. When he only needs 50% of his arm strength to throw a 30 yard pass and he needs to control trajectory its difficult for him. He needs to work on it A LOT in the off season.

He needs to train himself to play the game at 50-70% arm strength all the time and only throw it hard when he has a straight line rope shot.

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Allen's arm is just too strong. He is amazing on throws that call on a rope throws but is bad on anything that requires arc. When he only needs 50% of his arm strength to throw a 30 yard pass and he needs to control trajectory its difficult for him. He needs to work on it A LOT in the off season.

He needs to train himself to play the game at 50-70% arm strength all the time and only throw it hard when he has a straight line rope shot.

Totally agree. This is my thought as well. If you watch him try to throw with touch he’s only throwing half strength. 

39 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The lack of touch on deep balls is what drives me nuts. Throughout the season, he has missed wide open guys. Its happened several times when he has had time to throw and was not hurrying to complete a pass. I could give him a break if it was just at the Ralph where the wind has been awful in a few games this year but it has happened away from home as well. I don't know how you fix this but if he had connected on even one of those 3 misses on long passes yesterday, I think we win that game.

This post says it all!! Drop the mic

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Honestly, I'm in the minority here, but I actually was encouraged by Josh's performance. Obviously I would have preferred he come in and light the world on fire and throw for a zillion yards and crush the Ravens, but this seemed like a really really good "bad game" from him for 2 reasons:

1- When it got bad, and nothing was working, and he couldn't complete the deep ball and the line decided to take the day off and go bird watching (get it- bird watching? watching the ravens run by them... I'll be here all week, unfortunately) he never reverted to his poor decision hero ball mentality that leads to disaster. In fact, aside from some normal QB mistakes (missing passes, not seeing the blitz, etc) he didn't have any devastating mistakes or mind boggling decisions. He stayed in there and took the beating and kept getting up. I liked that. 

2- He found his rhythm, he put the early part of the game behind him, and he played better football. He didn't fix every issue, and we couldn't do enough to win, but he got us within striking distance of the best team in the NFL whose Defense is playing very well right now. 

These two things were very encouraging to me, and if my QB needs to have a bad game, I want it to be with these things displayed. I also want it to be against the best team in football and the SB favorite, cause it stings a little less. If he does this against the Dolphins it's harder to be positive. 

All that to say, I think Josh will learn and he'll bounce back from this. 

When you factor in the obvious drops - Singletary 2x, Knox 2x, Beasley 1, and maybe McKenzie (some debate on that) he's goes from 43.5% to 58.9%. That's before counting in throwaways of which there were at least two or three.

All that to say, adjusted % puts him much closer to decent. He definitely struggled and theres some passes he wants back no doubt, but the whole of what he did this game is hard to glean from the stat sheet. 

I couldn't agree more with this. We all knew or where at least hoping to keep it close enough until the end, which we did. It came down to one drive and one play.

He made a good throw and a good decision, but Brown failed to create the separation needed.

We know he needs to improve against cover0, but I also saw too many blitzers come right up the middle. That's suppose to be priority number one, to pick up the guy with the closest path to the qb. No chance when guys come in that quick.

Edited by Allen2Moulds

20 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm concerned we got this guy for his cannon and playing in the wind/elements... and he got outplayed on our home field by Brady, Wentz and now Lamar.    I don't even know if Josh understands how to complete a deep pass or if he's just chucking it up there and hoping?  There's no purpose on his deep passes....zero chance for the WR to adjust and run underneath them like a good QB provides.  So I'm not encouraged at all.  At this point in his career he should be taking off.  Baltimore made him a pocket QB yesterday and he failed miserably.  Hopefully Pittsburgh defense is not nearly as productive as Baltimore's.

he didn’t get outplayed by Lamar. Lamar has a lot of short fields and blown coverage right in front of him for a 60 yard TD. That was the difference. Not Lamar. 

The reason I'm not worried has nothing to do with what the ravens D has done to other teams. I'm not worried because Allen seems to learn from his mistakes. I think this game will end up being a positive for him, maybe even this Sunday night at Pitt.

Just now, Allen2Moulds said:

I couldn't agree more with this. 

I'm the end he made a good throw and good decision, but Brown failed to create the separation needed. I also saw too many blitzers come right up the middle. That's suppose to be priority number one, to pick up the guy with the closest path to the qb.

I don't know how to feel on that last route. Can't tell if Brown failed to cut in, or if that was how it was drawn up and Peters just played phenomenal defense on it. Either way, we came within one play of the best team in football. We're significantly further ahead this year from where people expected us to be. 

Agreed. Not sure why that was so hard for us to counter. Not sure who the blame goes to either, Allen, Line, Daboll... My guess is all three. 

15 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I'm not dejected about the loss. I feel the Bills need a few more play makers on offense. Brown, Beasley and Singletary are the only one's who produce on a consistent basis. Kroft has been non-existent this season and Knox is inconsistent as he usually has a key drop or a two a game. Foster and Mckenzie are gadet/situational players that barely contribute. I'd like to see bring in two WR's in the offseason, one of those that can be a true #1 WR who is big, physical and can outleap and outmuscle DB's. I'd also like to see the Bills get a TE that can get open down the middle (assuming Allen doesn't overthrow him).

Kroft was on the field a whole hell of a lot yesterday for someone who hasn't done a damn thing... I get Knox has the dropsies, but at least he does stuff occasionally. 

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes, more than a few drops...at one point there were 3 or 4 in short order.  Not winning play.  Yes, Allen had a subpar stat game...but, he got stepped on, wrapped the ankle and was back out there....he was running for his life.....Ravens blitzed a lot, and Josh/Bills didn't handle it well imho.  All those sacks were only partially Allen's fault.  Lots of cases of guys coming in unabated as they say.  Did I hope for more, yes.  He will do better in the future.....this was a great learning opportunity for a young QB.  As for the long throws...he was ok on them year one.  This year is a problem.  My view is it is a mechanics issue and will get resolved in time.  It also think he is unloading long to fast....the rule is "as fast as possible, but no faster"....he is just firing without stepping into the throw and putting a normal motion on the throws.  Better days ahead.

He was not good on the long ball last year, he just hit a couple so people remember those. This has been a career problem for him. Love the kid, think hes the franchise QB weve been waiting for, but that is an area he needs to somehow figure out. 

The Ravens rush had Allen rattled and he wasn't setting his feet for a lot of the throws. Saw some really really bad ones sail to no mans land a bunch of times. Others he threw on a rope and was bouncing off our receivers hands. So it was a mixed performance. Our Oline needs to be better. Give our QB some faith that he can be safe inside that pocket and make some throws to win the game.