Gore vs Yeldon

19 hours ago, ogham26 said:

what opportunity has yeldon been given and done nothing with it?  the patriots struggled to stop him when allen threw it to him in space.

TY has had a total of 10 carries for 45 yards this season. He has 1 fumble in those 10 carries. He also demonstrated fumble issues during the preseason. Although those opportunities have been limited. You have to prove your worth when you get the chance. TY hasn't IMO. Besides  TY is nothing more than insurance for our backfield just in case Gore or Motor get hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/9/2019 at 12:26 AM, JoPoy88 said:

no they’re pretty apparent - he fumbles

Yeldon fumbles once or twice as a Bill. "HE'S FUMBLE PRONE!"

He's a better option to have on the field right now than ANY of our running backs not named Singletary.

At this point in the season it is clear as day that Yeldon should be playing over Gore (even if that means dressing Gore to have him on standby in case of emergency). In limited action Yeldon has averaged 4.5 ypc (10 for 45) and chipped in with 10 receptions for 100 yards (10.0 ypr). On the other hand, Gore has averaged 3.7 ypc and in much more extensive playing time has caught the same number of passes as Yeldon (10) but for only 84 yards (8.4 ypr). That alone shows that Yeldon has been much more productive but in the last 6 games Gore has really regressed after a decent start. He has been averaging 2.47 ypc the last 6 games. Singletary averages 5.6, Yeldon 4.5 and Gore has been at 2.47. To some this might not seem like a big deal but when the Bills are playing better teams like they are now, every little bit matters. Being able to go to Yeldon when Singletary needs a breather is important because unlike Gore, Yeldon remains a threat to run and catch passes just like Singletary. And if Singletary were to go down in a game we would have to depend on Gore and that is asking too much. Nice story and he moved into 3rd place but now is the time to get real and go with production. 

Gore is at the end of his career but at this point I still trust him running between the tackles more than Yeldon. Yeldon seems to have the same skill set as Singletary, except not as good.

They need to find a power back In the off season as a compliment to Singletary. It’s not Yeldon.

5 minutes ago, vincec said:

Gore is at the end of his career but at this point I still trust him running between the tackles more than Yeldon. Yeldon seems to have the same skill set as Singletary, except not as good.

They need to find a power back In the off season as a compliment to Singletary. It’s not Yeldon.

I actually think we need a speed back more than anything else

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

I understand being concerned about Yeldon's ball security based on what we have seen in the preseason and limited action but the stats show that Yeldon has not been careless with the football over his career. I agree, he is not a hammer and would not be that effective in that role but Gore has been so awful lately that Yeldon would still be a better option and he offers versatility similar to Singletary. Dress Gore and if we need someone to run into the middle of the line of scrimmage and fall down at the end of games without fumbling than he is our man. But in any other situation I would prefer Yeldon. And yes, an upgrade in the offseason is necessary. In half of the last 6 games Gore has averaged 1.5 ypc or less and in 5 of 6 games he has been under 2.5 ypc. I mean, he has been absolutely dreadful outside of the Denver game and the Bills would have better success dragging a body off the street (similar to Spencer Ware) than to continue to use Gore. Even though it seems obvious I am not expecting a change since the Bills regime has definitely favored having at least 1 older rb active (Tolbert, McCoy, Ivory and now Gore). 

24 minutes ago, vincec said:

With the exception of the Dallas game he has been terrible at running through the tackles for quite some time now. He had a good start to the season but teams got us figured out when he steps on the field. There has to be a better option out there because he stinks.

Edited by BananaB

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This has been disproven already.

That's not really true. Since 2011 - a huge sample size - Gore has fumbled only 20 times on 2,356 touches. That's a 0.8 percent rate, which is pretty low.  And over the last four seasons, he has fumbled 6 times on 919 touches - a 0.65 percent rate. Over the last two seasons, he has fumbled once on 328 touches, for a staggeringly low rate of 0.3 percent. Basically, his fumbling rate has really gone down over the course of his career, and we shouldn't be factoring his seasons from 15 years ago into his rate now. Yeldon's rate is good too - 6 fumbles on 656 touches, which is 0.9 percent rate. 

By way of comparison, I randomly looked up a few other backs. McCoy has fumbled at 0.85 rate over the course of his career, Mark Ingram has fumbled at 0.97 rate, Derrick Henry at a 0.86 rate, and Christian McCaffery at a 0.81 percent rate. Zeke Elliott has fumbled at a high 1.16 percent rate. The real standout? Le'Veon Bell, who has fumbled at a very low 0.5 percent rate. 0.9 percent seems about average (which is where Yeldon is at).

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

On 12/8/2019 at 11:14 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

I have been fairly vocal that cutting McCoy was a mistake.  I was fine with the Gore signing but not at the expense of cutting Shady. 

Now 13 games into the season, it is clear Gore has nothing left. He is not contributing anything on the field.  Let's assume he is a good locker room presence. Well that does not mean he has to be active on game day.  Yeldon offers so much more than Gore in terms of pass catching ability and speed to the edge.  If Gore wasn't 3rd all time rusher he would not be active on Sunday.  He is getting the nod based on respect not ability.  Would it make much difference on Sunday?  I don't know but it's yet another in a long line of personnel decisions that are head scratchers.

What says the board?  At least next time they have 1st and goal in side the five, please use Gore as a decoy.  Everyone knows that he is getting the ball and he has been more liekly to lose yards than gain any.

I too wanted McCoy kept over yeldon. 

But it now I see the same you do. Gore just puts his head down and barrels into the hole. If it’s not there, there’s no side step, no elusiveness nothing. 

I’d like to see Sweeney, Yeldon and Duke on the field to see if they can find some mismatches. 

Gore running pass patterns terns is a joke and he could probably use some time off. 

the Ravens defensive scheme to load up the line and confuse who’s coming and dropping manning up the WR can be challenged with speed to the edges a la frisco. 

Duke can make (hopefully) contested catches vs man coverage- if he can’t, fine, but we know none of these other WRs can. Maybe Sweeney can be a mismatch on short down and distance plays. He flashed really good quick hands in college and a nice catch radius. 

If you can force the defense into zone then the smurfs can find holes and get open and it’s obvious the current version of the team doesn’t have what it takes to beat cover zero man over the top. 

I’m with you. Time to tinker.

I’m hoping that they aren’t afraid to mix it up because they have had some limited success.

i think Josh would fire it into tighter windows if any of the WRs could catch contested passes but they don’t. So he’s looking for college open when he’s marking throws. 

Several perfect passes where only his guy could get it, albeit with a tough catch were flat out dropped vs Ravens. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
Added a missing apostrophe
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/9/2019 at 6:35 AM, Rochesterfan said:

Yeldon showed his issue in camp fumbling, but the biggest reason to keep Yeldon away  is what we saw yesterday once again.  Yeldon cannot pass block at all.  Both Gore and by extension his protege Singletary are much better at picking up free rushers.  

Yeldon gives you pass catching, but can’t block - so again you are putting him in and taking plays from Singletary because they are closer in skill set and Singletary is better and should be on the field.

But he's a great pass catching back that you could put in a two RB backfield.

Buffalo's biggest problem on offense is our inability to attack the edge. The 49ers racked up yards on the edges of that Ravens defense. We are so condensed that it makes it really easy to call Cover 0 and blitz Allen all day. McKenzie, Yeldon, Singletary and Foster (just because I wouldn't want Brown to take the punishment) should all be heavily involved in the offense in short screens, quick outs etc. because at some point you have to spread the defense out. You have to make them respect the whole field, not just between the hashes.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

At this point in the season it is clear as day that Yeldon should be playing over Gore (even if that means dressing Gore to have him on standby in case of emergency). In limited action Yeldon has averaged 4.5 ypc (10 for 45) and chipped in with 10 receptions for 100 yards (10.0 ypr). On the other hand, Gore has averaged 3.7 ypc and in much more extensive playing time has caught the same number of passes as Yeldon (10) but for only 84 yards (8.4 ypr). That alone shows that Yeldon has been much more productive but in the last 6 games Gore has really regressed after a decent start. He has been averaging 2.47 ypc the last 6 games. Singletary averages 5.6, Yeldon 4.5 and Gore has been at 2.47. To some this might not seem like a big deal but when the Bills are playing better teams like they are now, every little bit matters. Being able to go to Yeldon when Singletary needs a breather is important because unlike Gore, Yeldon remains a threat to run and catch passes just like Singletary. And if Singletary were to go down in a game we would have to depend on Gore and that is asking too much. Nice story and he moved into 3rd place but now is the time to get real and go with production. 

I’m actually curious if a “week off” like Reid did with McCoy would help Gore bounce back  down the stretch. Some of these older guys still have ability, but the workload and rest cycles need tweaking if they aren’t going to crash. 

On 12/9/2019 at 6:35 AM, Rochesterfan said:

Yeldon showed his issue in camp fumbling, but the biggest reason to keep Yeldon away  is what we saw yesterday once again.  Yeldon cannot pass block at all.  Both Gore and by extension his protege Singletary are much better at picking up free rushers.  

Yeldon gives you pass catching, but can’t block - so again you are putting him in and taking plays from Singletary because they are closer in skill set and Singletary is better and should be on the field.

Jacksonville loved him as a third down back for his catching and pass blocking 

Youre saying he forgot how how to do that? 

Doubtful. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

I actually think we need a speed back more than anything else

I think they can use WRs like Foster or McKenzie on the end around / jet sweeps when they want speed. There are very few breakaway backs who can run between the tackles.

2 hours ago, DRA3196 said:

TY has had a total of 10 carries for 45 yards this season. He has 1 fumble in those 10 carries. He also demonstrated fumble issues during the preseason. Although those opportunities have been limited. You have to prove your worth when you get the chance. TY hasn't IMO. Besides  TY is nothing more than insurance for our backfield just in case Gore or Motor get hurt. 

he has an average of 4.5 a carry and 10 yards per reception.  On an offense that struggles its amazing we choose to keep those numbers inactive and roll out gore and then perry for a special teams unit that isn't even good.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

How has it been disproven?

Yeldon puts the ball on the ground

Turnovrs lose games

Because he really doesn't put the ball on the ground over the course of his career.  He fumbles like 1 every 100 touches... which is actually pretty good.  

Singletary has 2 fumbles on 141 touches.  So he would actually be considered more fumble prone.

Then there is the example of sample size. If I don't think 141 touches is a large enough sample to label a player fumble prone - then neither is TJ yeldons 20 touches.