Gore vs Yeldon

I have been fairly vocal that cutting McCoy was a mistake.  I was fine with the Gore signing but not at the expense of cutting Shady. 

Now 13 games into the season, it is clear Gore has nothing left. He is not contributing anything on the field.  Let's assume he is a good locker room presence. Well that does not mean he has to be active on game day.  Yeldon offers so much more than Gore in terms of pass catching ability and speed to the edge.  If Gore wasn't 3rd all time rusher he would not be active on Sunday.  He is getting the nod based on respect not ability.  Would it make much difference on Sunday?  I don't know but it's yet another in a long line of personnel decisions that are head scratchers.

What says the board?  At least next time they have 1st and goal in side the five, please use Gore as a decoy.  Everyone knows that he is getting the ball and he has been more liekly to lose yards than gain any.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Gore is no world beater, but should be active. He’s a reliable, steady presence if we get a lead. It’s Senorise Perry that should be sat down. Yeldon offers more to the offense. I refuse to think he also can’t run down the dang field to make a special teams tackle or watch them fair catch.

But, a thumper, bruising back should be on our off season wish list. A compliment to motor would go a long way. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Make active: Yeldon & Duke!

Make inactive: Any 2 of... DiMarco, Perry, Kroft, Lee.

I don't make Gore inactive, there are others less consequential options. 

Agree. Why can’t Lee Smith do what Dimarco does?

We need yeldon in the passing game. He was big for us in the second half of the patriots game. Bills coaches are stubborn tho. Probably keep going with the same inactive list. 

38 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

no they’re pretty apparent - he fumbles

Yeldon- 6 fumbles, 656 touches. One fumble per 109 touches.

Gore- 45 fumbles, 3,997 touches. One fumble per 88 touches.

What's apparent JoPo Gore's a higher fumble risk than Yeldon.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

no they’re pretty apparent - he fumbles

14 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Six fumbles, 656 touches is hardly glaring. Rate 0.9%

Frank Gore 45 fumbles, 3,997 touches. Rate 1.1%

Singletary 2 Fumbles 108 Touches Rate 1.8%

So Yeldon has the lowest fumble/touch rate.   So what is the next excuse?   

I agree with others, what does Lee Smith or DiMarco add to the 46.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I have been fairly vocal that cutting McCoy was a mistake.  I was fine with the Gore signing but not at the expense of cutting Shady. 

Now 13 games into the season, it is clear Gore has nothing left. He is not contributing anything on the field.  Let's assume he is a good locker room presence. Well that does not mean he has to be active on game day.  Yeldon offers so much more than Gore in terms of pass catching ability and speed to the edge.  If Gore wasn't 3rd all time rusher he would not be active on Sunday.  He is getting the nod based on respect not ability.  Would it make much difference on Sunday?  I don't know but it's yet another in a long line of personnel decisions that are head scratchers.

What says the board?  At least next time they have 1st and goal in side the five, please use Gore as a decoy.  Everyone knows that he is getting the ball and he has been more liekly to lose yards than gain any.

You and me both. I love what Gore has done, not what he is doing now. I think we need as many weapons and outlets for Josh in the passing game. When he is under pressure, it would be nice to see some dump offs to Yeldon and not have the throw to the gut and drop it Knox plays.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m still hot the Bills not only trotted Gore out again for that goal line situation in the 4th, but they handed him the ball. We ended losing another 90 seconds and a timeout because we chose not to sneak it or give it to Singletary. He has been terrible in short yardage for weeks now. Just keep him on team as a leader but do not dress him. Yeldon is much better at this point.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Totally disagree- McCoy is done also and no where near the professional that Gore is.  Gore was brought in to help teach Singletary how to be a professional and take care of himself.  Singletary’s progress is all the reason to have Gore and not McCoy on this team that I need.

Yes Gore is pretty much done, but Yeldon is nothing better and has shown an issue holding on to the ball in pre-season.  When Yeldon has been active he gives you nothing and really is more of a Singletary replacement and I want Singletary in the game not Yeldon.  

I am not scratching my head at this.  The FO has come out and told you Gore’s role - Mentor to Singletary.  I understand not seeing long term vision in short term goals, but this FO is not looking at one year - they are looking at how to build a team for many years and sometimes that means have veteran professionals available on the field and in the film room to get the young players to understand and grow. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Singletary 2 Fumbles 108 Touches Rate 1.8%

So Yeldon has the lowest fumble/touch rate.   So what is the next excuse?   

I agree with others, what does Lee Smith or DiMarco add to the 46.  

Yeldon showed his issue in camp fumbling, but the biggest reason to keep Yeldon away  is what we saw yesterday once again.  Yeldon cannot pass block at all.  Both Gore and by extension his protege Singletary are much better at picking up free rushers.  

Yeldon gives you pass catching, but can’t block - so again you are putting him in and taking plays from Singletary because they are closer in skill set and Singletary is better and should be on the field.

I’ve been thinking all year we should sit Gore, and activate Yeldon.  He’s more dynamic and happy Gore hit 3rd in rushing which will pretty assure him first ballot HOF, but it’s time.

Yeldon is like almost another WR out there with wiggle.  I don’t love the guy, but he’s shown at times better or more versatile than Gore. Yes, Gore has made some tough yards, but it’s not enough.  I agree with others as I’ve said on other threads, let Gore retire, find a battering ram, and keep Yeldon as a change up.

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Gore is no world beater, but should be active. He’s a reliable, steady presence if we get a lead. It’s Senorise Perry that should be sat down. Yeldon offers more to the offense. I refuse to think he also can’t run down the dang field to make a special teams tackle or watch them fair catch.

But, a thumper, bruising back should be on our off season wish list. A compliment to motor would go a long way. 

How about deactivating Lee Smith instead? At least Perry contribute on special teams. 

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yeldon showed his issue in camp fumbling, but the biggest reason to keep Yeldon away  is what we saw yesterday once again.  Yeldon cannot pass block at all.  Both Gore and by extension his protege Singletary are much better at picking up free rushers.  

Yeldon gives you pass catching, but can’t block - so again you are putting him in and taking plays from Singletary because they are closer in skill set and Singletary is better and should be on the field.

Instead of keeping him in to pass block, use him in the pass pattern? 

I'd like to have Gore for the end of games when we're winding down the clock

Yes the Bills could have kept McCoy, no one argues against that.  However, it is the job of the GM and staff to evaluate the value based on what the player brings to the table.   The 6.5 million is better spent this offseason or possibly extending a current play and it will get used.   Whatever happens with this team this year, the decision to move on from McCoy does not move the needle much one way or the other.

What does move the needle is finding a way to beat cover 0, pass protecting better and hitting some deep balls.

Edited by mattynh