Duck Hodges.... Won’t Last

ShakAttack

17 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

More worried about our offense against their defense. Ravens have a stiff defense. Steelers are even better. 

Completely agree. 2TDs and a couple of FGs probably get us the win but that will be a tough task.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think the Duck is toast next game

The bills are one game away from securing a playoff spot......and can smell it....and just lost a game they EASILY could have won

The D will hold the Duck down long enough for the bills to score enough points

The defence is going to have to win the game imo.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

@pittsburgh, primetime. 

They got a tough defense. 

On paper we win this game outright.

Steelers are on a roll though, they are no walk in the park.

Last time we played a game against a Steelers back up QB to lock ourselves in the playoffs...Tommy Maddox and fast Willie Parker. I still hurt over that game. lol

I was there, and I still feel the pain of that butt whooping, too.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

:thumbsup:.   I don't think that the Bills win this game.  The Steelers are exactly the kind of team that the Bills haven't been able to beat this season with their strong pass rush and penchant for creating take aways, and going into Heinz Field, well, it doesn't bode well.

I've been watching the Steelers all year, and I think Bills fans who are dismissing them because of Hodges are making a big mistake.   Their D is easily good enough to hold the Bills offense to 1 TD and 2 or 3 FGs.  They terrorize OLs and consequently, QBs.  The addition of Fitzpatrick has transformed that unit, turning them into a TO machine.  Hodges has been good playing within his limitations.   As we've seen several times this season, well coached rookies/young QBs with good support can string together a bunch of wins until DCs figure them out.

"I dont think the bills win this game"

Shocker

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I just watched the Steelers’ last two games.

I’ll say this, Hodges doesn’t make dumb decisions with the ball. He also doesn't make many throws to the middle of the field more than 5-6 yards past the LoS. These two are, obviously, related. He always has a guy near the LoS for him to dump it to, which he does frequently. He also likes chucking the ball down field when he identifies single coverage. These are two of the easiest reads and two of the safest throws. Granted, his deep ball is good. He gives his guy a chance to make a play on just about all of them and the Steelers wideouts have made quite a few. They've also gotten quite a few PI calls that went their way. He also has decent legs and will run for first downs whenever a pass rush is too aggressive.

Don’t give this team PI calls and it’s not a tough offense to stop. I’ll take our secondary vs. their deep ball and as long as the run D doesn't revert to be gouged for bug gains the Steelers shouldn't score more than 14 points (barring turnovers...)

The Steelers D doesn’t blitz a lot and plays primarily zone. Except for the fact they play a 3-4 they are very similar to the Bills’ D early in the season...except they can pressure the hell out of the QB rushing only 4. They’ll occasionally bring 5 but I don't think I saw them bring 6 a single time in 2 games. They just don't need to. If given time opposing QBs had success attacking the middle of the field and WR screens were pretty successful as well. Their run D is solid but weaker up the middle than outside. They are good at stringing run plays out that try and get the corner. I have a feeling we may see more Frank Gore this game. Their DBs are very aggressive going for the ball. They can be had on double moves, both Josh has to be accurate on his throws down field.

Allen struggles with man to man and blitzes and the steelers do neither of these things, they kinda play into Allen’s strengths. That said if Allen takes too long to make decisions or the OL doesn't give him enough time I could easily see a couple of sack/fumbles. Kyler Murray bolted the pocket way more than he had to and the Steelers were very good at keeping his gains to a minimum. They're a fast D.

Allen needs his internal clock to be working this game. He needs to finish his drop back and get the ball out of his hands. He cant afford to be indecisive or he’s going to get clobbered.

As I said above, avoid turnovers and the Bills should handle this game. Im just not sure I trust the O to do that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

If it's that simple, then why did Daboll not come out with a bunch of short rhythm passes on first and second downs yesterday to get completions and confidence?

I’m sure they knew they’d dial up the blitz. Knowing the screen pass works great I am surprised we didn’t dial more screens in our offense.

14 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

If it's that simple, then why did Daboll not come out with a bunch of short rhythm passes on first and second downs yesterday to get completions and confidence?

Because that is exactly what the Ravens were defending

I wish people would stop with this Steelers never lose in primetime crap! That was with Big Ben as the QB not Duck Hodges.  We heard the same crap about how the Cowboys never lose on Thanksgiving and we see how that turned out.  For all the crap the Bills get about their wins, have you seen the Steelers wins?

Bengals x 2

Chargers

Dolphins

Colts

Rams

Browns

Cardinals

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I wish people would stop with this Steelers never lose in primetime crap! That was with Big Ben as the QB not Duck Hodges.  We heard the same crap about how the Cowboys never lose on Thanksgiving and we see how that turned out.  For all the crap the Bills get about their wins, have you seen the Steelers wins?

Bengals x 2

Chargers

Dolphins

Colts

Rams

Browns

Cardinals

This.  They havent played and beat a good defense yet.  

24 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Bengals x 2

Chargers

Dolphins

Colts

Rams

Browns

Cardinals

Despite being down to their third string QB, the Steelers are 8-5.  Four of their losses were @Pats, to Seahawks, @Niners, and to the Ravens (0T), and all came in their first five games.  Since their OT loss to the Ravens, the Steelers have gone 7-1, their one loss to division rival Browns in Cleveland.  They've gone 3-0 with Hodges simply because Hodges has played smart football within his limitations.  The Bills can't afford to sleep on the Steelers.

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Despite being down to their third string QB, the Steelers are 8-5.  Four of their losses were @Pats, to Seahawks, @Niners, and to the Ravens (0T), and all came in their first five games.  Since their OT loss to the Ravens, the Steelers have gone 7-1, their one loss to division rival Browns in Cleveland.  They've gone 3-0 with Hodges simply because Hodges has played smart football within his limitations.  The Bills can't afford to sleep on the Steelers.

I don't have a fear that the Bills won't be prepared - McDermott doesn't think this way.  The Steelers are another team that has beaten the teams they should and lost to the better teams.  They have not beaten a team that has a decent defense yet and it's time for the Bills so show they are the better team.  While I am concerned a little bit about their defense (but not if they can't generate turnovers) but I am not worried about their offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 11:10 PM, BobBelcher said:

I’ve watched this guys highlights and I think he’s a meltdown waiting to happen. Kinda like how Kyle Allen, Minshew and arguably Brandon Allen came down to earth once they faced a real defense. In Brandon Allens case that defense was of course the Bills.

When I watch this guy all I see are screens and little dump passes. We know all about captain checkDowns; that strategy doesn’t last. Sooner or later he’s going to face a defense that will force him into some real NFL throws and we’ll see why he is an undrafted QB. I’ve watched some of his intermediate / long passes and they seem to hang in the air for an eternity; “a pick waiting to happen” as Jalen Ramsey once famously said about our boy Josh Allen (but for different reasons).

To me, a poor man’s Doug Flutie even comes to mind when I watch him ? couldn’t resist. I think the NFL and fans just love these backup QB stories but the fact is, for all of them, they initially benefit from the lack of film available and sooner or later they face real adversity when a good defense takes away what they do well (and since many of these guys are one dimensional it becomes an issue)

now, having said all of this, I am still nervous as hell about this game because on the flip side, our QB seems to ALSO struggle against real defenses... and the Steelers have one. 

I would give Buffalo the edge, but this may as well be a wild card playoff game, and it could get crazy. I don’t think I’ve been more nervous for a game this season. Heck I spent all of this past  week being more nervous towards the steeler game than the ravens game! Dont know how I’m going to get through this week (and it’s also why I was bummed when we got flexed to SNF... don’t know how I’m gonna make it through the day anxiously waiting for the outcome of this game)

The issue with Pittsburgh is all their RBs and WR are playmakers, make contested catches, sell out for tough catches or can outrun every guy on the defense. 

Its like the the exact opposite of the Bills skill positions. (Except Singletary who is starting to look like a stud playmaker) 

• Like (+1) 2

Duck Hodges in his 3 starts passed for 132 yds 1td 1int, 212 yds 1td 1int & 152yds 1td 0int.......wtf am i missing here?!?!?

In 3 starts he has 496 passing yards 3td 2int......you guys are impressed by that or are you letting the media tell you he's doing a good job when all he's doing is trying to not lose a game?

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So I finally watched some of Duck.  He does have a very long delivery and dips the ball low like Leftwich.  Need to go after him hard.

I watched that Pittsburgh Arizona game as closely as I watched the Pats game Sunday afternoon...Arizona tackling was beyond atrocious. Include a Punt return for a TD, and i know cliche, but Arizona was the better team that beat themselves. I am confident Bills are the better team, and if they dont beat themselves will win in a close game.

Crowd is gunna be jacked, but i think the Bills have shown they can handle the pressure of big games and moments

I expect the bills D to shut him down completely.   Recall a few weeks ago when someone posted the thread that the ravens were on pace to punt the fewest times in a season ever...and my comment was that will change in a week.  What happened...7 punts.  This D will take away Ducks safety valve and make them move down the field methodically...which I put our D against anyone that has to do that.

Bills 24 Steelers 6