Duck Hodges.... Won’t Last

ShakAttack

7 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

More worried about our offense against their defense. Ravens have a stiff defense. Steelers are even better. 

The last game that was this bad for our O was against the Pats, Allen took a lot from it and it helped him his game. Let’s hope the same thing happens with yesterday’s beating. Pitt is definitely gonna be doing a lot of the same stuff the Ravens did.

8 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

don’t know how I’m gonna make it through the day anxiously waiting for the outcome of this game

This is me. I don't know what the hell to do all day. Need to wear my four year old out so he'll go to bed early. I normally put him to bed every night, and that's around 8:20-8:30.

Little sh*t needs to be worn out and in the bed by 7:30!?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Ravens D is better. Ever since the loss to CLE they’ve been dominant. Don’t let the ranks fool you. 

Yep that’s right around when they got Marcus peters. That trade shifted there defense. Peters, Jimmy Smith and Humphrey is a ridiculous cb trio. That’s what gives them the flexibility to blitz 48% of the time (heading into the Buffalo game). 

18 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

This is me. I don't know what the hell to do all day. Need to wear my four year old out so he'll go to bed early. I normally put him to bed every night, and that's around 8:20-8:30.

Little sh*t needs to be worn out and in the bed by 7:30!?

I’ve got a 3 year old and close the door at 7:45/8pm. Good luck! 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

I’ve watched this guys highlights and I think he’s a meltdown waiting to happen. Kinda like how Kyle Allen, Minshew and arguably Brandon Allen came down to earth once they faced a real defense. In Brandon Allens case that defense was of course the Bills.

When I watch this guy all I see are screens and little dump passes. We know all about captain checkDowns; that strategy doesn’t last. Sooner or later he’s going to face a defense that will force him into some real NFL throws and we’ll see why he is an undrafted QB. I’ve watched some of his intermediate / long passes and they seem to hang in the air for an eternity; “a pick waiting to happen” as Jalen Ramsey once famously said about our boy Josh Allen (but for different reasons).

To me, a poor man’s Doug Flutie even comes to mind when I watch him ? couldn’t resist. I think the NFL and fans just love these backup QB stories but the fact is, for all of them, they initially benefit from the lack of film available and sooner or later they face real adversity when a good defense takes away what they do well (and since many of these guys are one dimensional it becomes an issue)

now, having said all of this, I am still nervous as hell about this game because on the flip side, our QB seems to ALSO struggle against real defenses... and the Steelers have one. 

I would give Buffalo the edge, but this may as well be a wild card playoff game, and it could get crazy. I don’t think I’ve been more nervous for a game this season. Heck I spent all of this past  week being more nervous towards the steeler game than the ravens game! Dont know how I’m going to get through this week (and it’s also why I was bummed when we got flexed to SNF... don’t know how I’m gonna make it through the day anxiously waiting for the outcome of this game)

Why would I be concerned about someone I hadn't heard of 5 weeks ago?

Allen v the Steelers defense is another story.  He has to be able to outshine Hodges even though he couldn't Jackson this past Sunday.

7 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Ravens D is better. Ever since the loss to CLE they’ve been dominant. Don’t let the ranks fool you. 

Pittsburgh is ranked in top 5 in just about every category.  They are better than the Ravens defense.  They take the ball away and sack the QB at a torrid rate and they are at home in prime time. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

The Steelers can't beat you with their offense and they know that.

Mason Rudolph was killing them. Hodges isn't killing them - they just hang in there and let their defense and ST try to win it.

:thumbsup:.   I don't think that the Bills win this game.  The Steelers are exactly the kind of team that the Bills haven't been able to beat this season with their strong pass rush and penchant for creating take aways, and going into Heinz Field, well, it doesn't bode well.

I've been watching the Steelers all year, and I think Bills fans who are dismissing them because of Hodges are making a big mistake.   Their D is easily good enough to hold the Bills offense to 1 TD and 2 or 3 FGs.  They terrorize OLs and consequently, QBs.  The addition of Fitzpatrick has transformed that unit, turning them into a TO machine.  Hodges has been good playing within his limitations.   As we've seen several times this season, well coached rookies/young QBs with good support can string together a bunch of wins until DCs figure them out.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

If Allen completes under 50% of his passes we lose. We need Allen to be efficient. Duck Hodges doesn’t concern me. He’s a sitting duck if we bring the pass rush.

If it's that simple, then why did Daboll not come out with a bunch of short rhythm passes on first and second downs yesterday to get completions and confidence?

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

:thumbsup:.   I don't think that the Bills win this game.  The Steelers are exactly the kind of team that the Bills haven't been able to beat this season with their strong pass rush and penchant for creating take aways, and going into Heinz Field, well, it doesn't bode well.

I've been watching the Steelers all year, and I think Bills fans who are dismissing them because of Hodges are making a big mistake.   Their D is easily good enough to hold the Bills offense to 1 TD and 2 or 3 FGs.  They terrorize OLs and consequently, QBs.  The addition of Fitzpatrick has transformed that unit, turning them into a TO machine.  Hodges has been good playing within his limitations.   As we've seen several times this season, well coached rookies/young QBs with good support can string together a bunch of wins until DCs figure them out.

This is the exact description of Denver.   In both situations, the young QB hasn't faced the quality of defense that the Bills will bring. 

Since the Steelers got rolling, their only true quality win has been against the Rams.  In others, they've squeaked by and were also helped by playing against back-up QBs.  If the Bills D brings the same intensity that they did against Baltimore, then I don't see Steelers scoring more than 9 points.  If Allen does not make mistakes, Bills should easily win this one.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GG said:

This is the exact description of Denver.   In both situations, the young QB hasn't faced the quality of defense that the Bills will bring. 

Since the Steelers got rolling, their only true quality win has been against the Rams.  In others, they've squeaked by and were also helped by playing against back-up QBs.  If the Bills D brings the same intensity that they did against Baltimore, then I don't see Steelers scoring more than 9 points.  If Allen does not make mistakes, Bills should easily win this one.

That said I am glad we played Denver before Drew Lock took over. Darn he has played well.

• Like (+1) 2

I feel confident for this game.

Our D should be able to shut down their O. Look at the game yestarday. They played with a short field almost the entire first half and the electrifiyng Ravens Offense could not get a confortable enough separation to put the game away. 

Our offense whould be able to score 14 to 17 points and that would be enough to win sunday night.  

Despite everything I said in the OP, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a tougher game than NE. While I think we give Duck his first bad game, Allen could very well have the same issues with their defense. I personally think we have a slight edge, but a slight edge usually means the game goes down to the wire and when that happens, who knows? You’ve got 2 defenses that are capable of sealing the win for their team.

Edited by BobBelcher

@pittsburgh, primetime. 

They got a tough defense. 

On paper we win this game outright.

Steelers are on a roll though, they are no walk in the park.

Last time we played a game against a Steelers back up QB to lock ourselves in the playoffs...Tommy Maddox and fast Willie Parker. I still hurt over that game. lol

43 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

@pittsburgh, primetime. 

They got a tough defense. 

On paper we win this game outright.

Steelers are on a roll though, they are no walk in the park.

Last time we played a game against a Steelers back up QB to lock ourselves in the playoffs...Tommy Maddox and fast Willie Parker. I still hurt over that game. lol

With Hodges, the Steelers have beaten the Bengals, Browns, and Cardinals.  All three of those games had a final margin that was within one score.  That's hardly "on a roll."  Hodges hasn't faced a defense even in the same general universe as ours.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

With Hodges, the Steelers have beaten the Bengals, Browns, and Cardinals.  All three of those games had a final margin that was within one score.  That's hardly "on a roll."  Hodges hasn't faced a defense even in the same general universe as ours.

Id say thats pretty impressive for a duck hodges.

The Steelers are a 2-pt favorite. 

Everyone who bets on Pittsburgh using the "tough homefield, good defense" logic, is going to feel silly when they watch the Duckster try to play from behind.

If the Bills get control of this game in the first half, it will get late early, a la the Denver game.