An uncomfortable play-off situation with the Texans

Stallions

9 hours ago, Tuco said:

Nah I think it guarantees the 5th seed. If we beat Pitt, the best they can do is 10-6 and we'll already be at 10-6 with the tiebreaker over them.

The only other teams that can get to 10-6 are Tennessee and Houston. If Houston gets to 10-6 that means they had to beat Tennessee at least once and they would win the division. It also means that Tennessee can't be better than 10-6 and we would hold the tiebreaker over them too. 

The only way Tennessee can win the division is to beat Houston twice. That would make Tennessee the division winner but then Houston could only get to 9 wins max - leaving Buffalo and Pitt tied at 10-6, where we win the 5 seed again..

Beating Pitt guarantees us the 5 seed minimum unless I missed something.

It's scenarios ...  Usually we run these to get the Bills INTO the playoffs

The key is Defeating the Steelers.  

W/O the win Sunday night the Bills could get the 6th seed.   Week 17 is Steelers at Ravens. A game in which the Ravens may not need to win.  

I’d love to face Indy in the Wild Card round (assuming we don’t win the division).  Is there any way they can still win the AFCS at 9-7?  Lol.

I know Houston’s defense isn’t nearly as good as Tennessee’s, but that offense can be explosive.

This is all a lot easier to understand if you keep in mind that it is mathematically impossible for Houston to finish 10-6 and get a WC spot.  A 10-6 Houston team wins its division and guarantees that we finish ahead of Tennessee either outright or based on our head-to-head tiebreaker, assuming that we win any one of our remaining games. 

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/9/2019 at 3:07 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

They're drastically overrated and only in the position they're in due to the weakness of their division.

qb and o are pretty nasty, but not consistent.  they lost JJ watt and clowney this year, imagine having that much fire power?!?

also, it looks like they went up and down spanking NE between bad losses, but if you look at NE's last games, they got smoked by baltimore, beat philly in a game they prolly shoulda lost, beat dallas at home in a game they totally shoulda lost, and then lost on road and hou and at home to KC. 

pats have been soft for 5 straight weeks, AND IT'S GETTING ME HOPEFUL WE CAN TAKE THE DIVISION OMG

13 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

It's scenarios ...  Usually we run these to get the Bills INTO the playoffs

The key is Defeating the Steelers.  

W/O the win Sunday night the Bills could get the 6th seed.   Week 17 is Steelers at Ravens. A game in which the Ravens may not need to win.  

All true. But none of it is what I said. I was responding to your post that said beating the Steelers guarantees us a playoff spot but not the 5th seed. Beating the Steelers does in fact guarantee us the 5th seed (or better if we can win the division). 

Not sure what your point is here.

Edited by Tuco

On 12/8/2019 at 8:00 PM, Stallions said:

Losing to the Steelers this Sunday puts our play-off hopes in jeopardy.  They have the Jets & Ravens remaining on their schedule.  A win over the Jets gives them 10 wins.  And, the Ravens may rest their starters for the final game of the season.

So, that basically puts our fate in the hands of the Texans & Titans.  Tennessee is hot and the Texans just lost to the lowly Bronco’s at home.  It would be great if Houston wins the division and the Titans finish 10-6 with the playoff tie-breaker in favor of the Bills. 

BUT, these teams play each other twice in the last 3 weeks of the season.  A scenario could develop with the Titans winning the division and the Texans finishing 10-6.

Would we have the tie breaker over Houston with mutual 10-6 records???

So while we are on the subject, can someone explain to me why the Titans and Texans currently have the same record but the Texans are ahead of the Titans for playoffs?