An uncomfortable play-off situation with the Texans

Stallions

14 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

if the Bills can not beat the STeelers lead by a third string QB Hodges then I'm not sure what to say....

Obviously a lot of doom and gloom posters on

The Bills should do fine on that end of the matchup. The PIT D ( statistically almost as good as BAL, plus creates tons of turnovers) vs the Bills Offense is worrisome and will be the deciding factor in this game. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills should do fine on that end of the matchup. The PIT D ( statistically almost as good as BAL, plus creates tons of turnovers) vs the Bills Offense is worrisome and will be the deciding factor in this game. 

The Steelers imo wont score enough points to beat the Bill's.  Imo Buffalo needs to utilize more 2 tes and 2 Rbs sets.  I understand their offensive philosophy right now, some other looks for a defense imo is needed.  

4 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

My post has nothing to do with head to head and everything to do with the conference record...

In your scenario, the AFCS title would be resolved first. The Texans would win the South, and PIT would be awarded the 5 seed, BUF would be the 6 seed and TEN eliminated. So yes, win one and in for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Ok, just ran the math. In the scenario where all 4 are 10-6, they will have the following conference records:

BUF - 7-5 (win NYJ, loss PIT, loss NE)

PIT - 8-4 (win BUF, win NYJ, loss BAL)

HOU - 8-4 (win TEN, win TB, loss TEN)

TEN - 7-5 (loss HOU, win NO, win HOU)

So, unless I am not seeing something, we are NOT in a 'win and in' scenario yet.

If this were to play out the first thing would be to break the tie for the division between Houston and Tennessee. I believe the only way Houston gets to 10 wins is to at least split with Tennessee, that would give Houston the division.

Then the other 3 teams would go to conference record, where Pitt would take the 5 seed. But then it doesn't go to the next step. Once a team is seeded the remaining tied teams revert back to the first step of the 2-team format, where we would get the 6th seed having beaten Tennessee.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Take care of our business. That’s all that’s matters. If we can’t do that we might as well get ready for next season. 

20 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Ok, just ran the math. In the scenario where all 4 are 10-6, they will have the following conference records:

So, unless I am not seeing something, we are NOT in a 'win and in' scenario yet.

I’d be surprised if the titans take the saints. 

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

If this were to play out the first thing would be to break the tie for the division between Houston and Tennessee. I believe the only way Houston gets to 10 wins is to at least split with Tennessee, that would give Houston the division.

Then the other 3 teams would go to conference record, where Pitt would take the 5 seed. But then it doesn't go to the next step. Once a team is seeded the remaining tied teams revert back to the first step of the 2-team format, where we would get the 6th seed having beaten Tennessee.

I saw my mistake. I was looking at 4 teams for 2 WC spots. Its 3 as one wins the division. Assuming HOU wins the division, their 8-4 conf record no longer matters in the WC assessment. PIT would still have the highest conf record at 8-4 and lock seed 5. BUF beats TEN on head to head for 6th seed.

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

In your scenario, the AFCS title would be resolved first. The Texans would win the South, and PIT would be awarded the 5 seed, BUF would be the 6 seed and TEN eliminated. So yes, win one and in for the Bills. 

Saw your post after I realized my error...forgot to take out the division winner.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Houston would be division champ, , then Bills would win the tiebreaker for 2nd wildcard right?

1 hour ago, Stallions said:

Losing to the Steelers this Sunday puts our play-off hopes in jeopardy.  They have the Jets & Ravens remaining on their schedule.  A win over the Jets gives them 10 wins.  And, the Ravens may rest their starters for the final game of the season.

So, that basically puts our fate in the hands of the Texans & Titans.  Tennessee is hot and the Texans just lost to the lowly Bronco’s at home.  It would be great if Houston wins the division and the Titans finish 10-6 with the playoff tie-breaker in favor of the Bills. 

BUT, these teams play each other twice in the last 3 weeks of the season.  A scenario could develop with the Titans winning the division and the Texans finishing 10-6.

Would we have the tie breaker over Houston with mutual 10-6 records???

This is not true.... 1 win and the Bills are in

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

if the Bills can not beat the STeelers lead by a third string QB Hodges then I'm not sure what to say....

Obviously a lot of doom and gloom posters on

I know what I would say “If you can’t win 1 of the next 3 games, you don’t deserve to be in the playoffs!”

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is not true.... 1 win and the Bills are in

I know what I would say “If you can’t win 1 of the next 3 games, you don’t deserve to be in the playoffs!”

True BUT there are a lot of scenarios where a Bills 9-7 record gets them in.

Biggest being Titans split with Texans and lose to the Saints.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Imo Buffalo needs to utilize more 2 tes and 2 Rbs sets.  I understand their offensive philosophy right now, some other looks for a defense imo is needed.  

I'd like to see that as well, but don't think we have the horses for that kind of race.    Or the QB at this stage of his development.  

The spread formations help Josh see the field better and that's why they've empasized them over the past month.   Bringing everone in tight might not be what he's comfortable with, not to mention the limited quality of our TEs in the first place.   

I think they're just going to have to live with this offense and hope they can do a better job of handling the blitz (which I'm doubtful of)...

6 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

we are. 

Houston has division 

Pitt gets in

We get in as Tenn loses the head to head with us. 

it isn’t hard everyone in every media outlet is saying win and we are in. 

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What about a 4 way tiebreaker at 10-6 with the bills Steelers texans and titans and our 1 win is against the jets?

Have to break the division first. Meaning Houston

then figure out next seed that would be Pitt. 

we then beat Tenn with Head to Head. 

long story short. Win and you are in.