An uncomfortable play-off situation with the Texans

Stallions

Just now, Real McCoy said:

Dalton hooking us up again would be classic.

I'm sure Dalton's foundation could use some more donations!

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

Agreed lol.  Just deserts.  Couldn't happen to a more deserving team.  Man if it's this year it would be sweet but it feels inevitable that we get the division soon.

Oh no doubt man. I just want to win it now, with Brady's future in NE uncertain. I don't want to "default" into it. 

I want to go take it from their cold, dead, cheating hands.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Losing to the Steelers this Sunday puts our play-off hopes in jeopardy.  They have the Jets & Ravens remaining on their schedule.  A win over the Jets gives them 10 wins.  And, the Ravens may rest their starters for the final game of the season.

So, that basically puts our fate in the hands of the Texans & Titans.  Tennessee is hot and the Texans just lost to the lowly Bronco’s at home.  It would be great if Houston wins the division and the Titans finish 10-6 with the playoff tie-breaker in favor of the Bills. 

BUT, these teams play each other twice in the last 3 weeks of the season.  A scenario could develop with the Titans winning the division and the Texans finishing 10-6.

Would we have the tie breaker over Houston with mutual 10-6 records???

everything we needed to happen today (with the obvious exception of the Bills Winning) happened. 

TN, DEN, and TB won. 

we need one win the rest of the way and we’re in, regardless of anything else. 

• Like (+1) 1

I posted this elsewhere, but def fits here:

In various threads I am hearing both:

1. Win one more game and we are in the playoffs!

2. No, that's not true, it was said in error by the media!

Which is it? There appears to be a path where HOU, TEN, PIT and BUF end up at 10-6. My understanding is that with a 3/4 way tie, head to head is not relevant.

So, what factors guarantee us a playoff berth with one more win?

I see many posters echoing the 'win and in', but no one seems to know how/why that can happen. At least it wasn't posted in this thread.

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

I'm sure Dalton's foundation could use some more donations!

Oh no doubt man. I just want to win it now, with Brady's future in NE uncertain. I don't want to "default" into it. 

I want to go take it from their cold, dead, cheating hands.

Someone should message him his twitter lol. I'm sure he would get extra motivation for it lol.

1 minute ago, Westside Madness said:

Which is it? There appears to be a path where HOU, TEN, PIT and BUF end up at 10-6. My understanding is that with a 3/4 way tie, head to head is not relevant.

I see many posters echoing the 'win and in', but no one seems to know how/why that can happen. At least it wasn't posted in this thread.

The pitt game is key.  Win that and in.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

God, could you imagine your season coming down to a freaking coin toss?

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

God, could you imagine your season coming down to a freaking coin toss?

Thanks for this, so guessing it is the conference win/loss. I didn't math that in my 4 way 10-6 tie.

Just now, Westside Madness said:

Thanks for this, so guessing it is the conference win/loss. I didn't math that in my 4 way 10-6 tie.

Yes. If one of the four had swept the other three, that would come first. If not, then conference win %

Win out.  Win the Division.  Baltimore was the "Best Team in the NFL".  Buffalo took them to the wire in game the offense floundered in.  The Bill's offense left multiple plays on the field.  Whether it be drops, or missed throws.  I leave the game as confident as entering it.  It was a good measuring stick imo.  I think Buffalo is darn close and with a few tweaks can play with anyone.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mat68 said:

Win out.  Win the Division.  Baltimore was the "Best Team in the NFL".  Buffalo took them to the wire in game the offense floundered in.  The Bill's offense left multiple plays on the field.  Whether it be drops, or missed throws.  I leave the game as confident as entering it.  It was a good measuring stick imo.  I think Buffalo is darn close and with a few tweaks can play with anyone.

Agreed. And even if not this year, I feel like they're better set up for the future than almost anybody, considering we still have almost $90 million in cap money going forward to grow this thing.

47 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Losing to the Steelers this Sunday puts our play-off hopes in jeopardy.  They have the Jets & Ravens remaining on their schedule.  A win over the Jets gives them 10 wins.  And, the Ravens may rest their starters for the final game of the season.

So, that basically puts our fate in the hands of the Texans & Titans.  Tennessee is hot and the Texans just lost to the lowly Bronco’s at home.  It would be great if Houston wins the division and the Titans finish 10-6 with the playoff tie-breaker in favor of the Bills. 

BUT, these teams play each other twice in the last 3 weeks of the season.  A scenario could develop with the Titans winning the division and the Texans finishing 10-6.

Would we have the tie breaker over Houston with mutual 10-6 records???

maybe if you read the 2019 playoff thread you’d have a clue.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Yes. If one of the four had swept the other three, that would come first. If not, then conference win %

Ok, just ran the math. In the scenario where all 4 are 10-6, they will have the following conference records:

BUF - 7-5 (win NYJ, loss PIT, loss NE)

PIT - 8-4 (win BUF, win NYJ, loss BAL)

HOU - 8-4 (win TEN, win TB, loss TEN)

TEN - 7-5 (loss HOU, win NO, win HOU)

So, unless I am not seeing something, we are NOT in a 'win and in' scenario yet.

F232F2E8-204F-4EB0-83C1-4FAED8069513.thumb.png.397affccbed710202c80c8b0b266d8ad.pngGo to http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/billsstandings.html.  It gives all the odds. Than pick the “what if link” and it will show those odds as the weeks progress.   Basically we could lose out an still be 50/50 to make it. If we win 1 or all 3 we are still most likely to end up a 5 seed. Today was the big game because a win really allowed for more of a bye scenario. 

Either way would really love to see the Pats lose to Cinci just to make the head to head game be a game for the division. 

Edited by Locomark

Just now, CLTbills said:

None of that matters. the head to head ONLY matters if one team beats all of the others head to head, or if one team loses to ALL of the others head to head. That doesn't apply in this case because they didn't all even play each other. Buffalo does not play Houston. Thus, skip to the next tiebreaker, which is conference record.

My post has nothing to do with head to head and everything to do with the conference record...