Please draft offense

whorlnut

On 12/9/2019 at 10:48 AM, whorlnut said:

Please draft offense

Nah. Best player at a position of need. Offense or defense ... best guy.

7 hours ago, whorlnut said:

It makes me laugh at how hung up people are on the deep ball. Any qb is lucky to get one or two good looks down field each game. And even then they are tough to complete. Does he need to improve it?  Your darn right he does. But he has done a way better job of managing a game which is what the good ones need to do. 

The good ones need to eliminate the serious weaknesses in their game.

That's what defenses look for and can scheme around. 

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Did you see Lamar complete any long pass's yesterday? And the 20 yd pas for the long TD doesn't count. Answer no conditions sucked.

No, Lamar didn't complete any, but he didn't have the opportunities to hit a deep ball that Josh did.

It's important. Enough with the spin, it matters. Complete a deep ball or two and the whole defense will loosen up underneath, not to mention you having either scored a TD or made a huge gain of yardage. It matters. Have conditions been bad every single game this year?

Having said that, he's improved, and as young as he is he could still address this, but it does need to happen.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 12/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, whorlnut said:

Yeah and that would be a shame. He needs to learn to value the offense like he does his defense. 

I get it defensive HC are always going to lean D but we now have the #2 defense in the NFL (points allowed/game). I love the idea of drafting Jonathan Taylor late 1st. Make him thunder and Devin lightning. Draft Michael Pittman in the 2nd round. He could easily become a #1 wr. Then I'd turn around and draft the best available wr in the 3rd. As others have correctly mentioned this will not be a great TE draft but many excellent wrs available. Draft OL in 4-5 rounds. Get an DE from FA. Doubt Amari will be available and I want no part of an aging injury prone Green. Extend Shaq and say goodbye to Gore, Alexander, Wallace and Bojo. Put Daboll & Farwell on a short leash. Offense,  offense,  offense.......

• Like (+1) 1

Does anyone have a replay of the first drive miss to John Brown deep? I can only go off of my memory from the stadium, but I swear it was not an inaccurate throw. Brown was not looking for the ball and appeared to run in a different direction than Allen threw it.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Does anyone have a replay of the first drive miss to John Brown deep? I can only go off of my memory from the stadium, but I swear it was not an inaccurate throw. Brown was not looking for the ball and appeared to run in a different direction than Allen threw it.

I was a beautifully thrown ball that we've seen 19 times this year. Too flat, no trajectory and 5 yards past the open receiver. Josh will eventually fix this but it will take time. I didn't notice any altered route by John.

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

because Allen way completely off, he didn't just overthrow brown he threw it to the middle of the field when Brown was running to the right. his downfield accuracy is abysmal. 

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah. Kinda like McKenzies horrific route to an Allen deep throw several games ago. Bottom line is our receivers aren’t very good outside of Brown. 

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The ball was supposed to go up the sideline and Allen threw the ball 15-20 yards off target straight up the field.

He did the same thing a few weeks ago when he missed Isaiah McKenzie.

It looked like the same route, and Allen threw to the wrong spot both times missing easy touchdowns. 

Edited by jrober38

I would rather fill all the holes in FA,  with players like D Henry, R Anderson, and one of the many FA DE' s on the market. I would only spend big for a RT. Then BPA in the draft. That's how you sustain success.  Henry and Anderson would be HUGE additions that wont cost a ton. 

Edited by Franchiseneedsme

On 12/8/2019 at 7:48 PM, PaulieYayo said:

Absolutely true. Singletary is a nice RB but he has no explosion and that hurts the offense. a WR is a must, maybe even two, and the Oline issues need to be solved

That's what my eyes tell me when I watch Devin Singletary. Not a popular take, but that's how I see it.  The stats tell you he has a place in this league, but he's not a game breaker. I haven't really seen him gain many yards that weren't there for the taking. That would be great, but I just don't think he has the POP. Nice RB is how I'd describe him as well.

As much as the team does need another threat at WR, I disagree with the premise that they need what used to be considered a "number one." A guy that is 6'3, runs a 4.4 etc. 

If Allen can't fix the deep ball thing, that isn't really going to matter. What they NEED is a true playmaker. Don't really even care if it's a RB or a WR. Someone who can turn a what should be a short gain into a huge play. I call them springers. Get one of these guys and the offense immediately improves even if Allen's deep ball accuracy continues to be a problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 8:51 PM, Rad Likes The Bills said:

The value on WR is better in Rd 2. Now we will be drafting later in the first so maybe that’s the range where we might swing but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Beane go Edge Rd 1 and trade up Rd 2 and get his WR.  That’s just based off tendency and this regime loves Defense on cost controlled contracts 

If Beane continues to bundle picks to trade up and get non-QBs I'll be disappointed. 

30 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

I would rather fill all the holes in FA,  with players like D Henry, R Anderson, and one of the many FA DE' s on the market. I would only spend big for a RT. Then BPA in the draft. That's how you sustain success.  Henry and Anderson would be HUGE additions that wont cost a ton. 

Henry is going to cost a ton. He’s going to get the same kind of deal as bell got from the jets. But we can afford it as long as Beane gives himself an out after 2 years. Henry is a game changer and does not have the wear and tear you’d expect from a back finishing his rookie deal. They always had him in a timeshare rather it was with demarco Murray or Dion Lewis. They didn’t begin to feature Henry finally until the second half of last season. He is a monster. Him and singletary would be the best tandem in the league. I can’t see Tennessee letting him walk but you never know. 

On 12/8/2019 at 8:48 PM, whorlnut said:

It’s so clear to me what we really need to take the next step...offensive weapons. I love John Brown, but he’s more of a WR2. Beasley is our slot guy, that can’t be argued. We need a tall WR that can go get it in the end zone at the end of games. IMO that’s what we need to target above all else this draft. 

In addition, we could really use a RT. I think Ford will finally be moved inside next year, but we need a true RT. We could look at FA, or in the draft. Either way it’s a huge need. 

We also need a second RB. Motor has been really good, but we need some reliability when he needs to catch his breath. I’m thinking maybe the fourth or fifth to find this guy. 

I say all this to plead and beg Beane to upgrade the offense this off-season. Please resist the urge to draft defense in round one and get a real playmaker for this offense. It’s what we need to round out this offense and make us a more complete football team. I get the potential need for pass rusher, but we can’t use all our premium picks on defense each year and expect to keep up with opposing offenses. 

I think a couple weeks ago, John Brown was leading the AFC in yards for a WR. He’s is probably still top 5. 

thats a legit stat. It’s crazy to categorize him as a WR 2, having LED the conference in yards more than halfway thru a season. 

1 minute ago, Nick the Greek said:

I think a couple weeks ago, John Brown was leading the AFC in yards for a WR. He’s is probably still top 5. 

thats a legit stat. It’s crazy to categorize him as a WR 2, having LED the conference in yards more than halfway thru a season. 

He’s a 2. And a darn good one at that. But let’s not try to pretend he’s a legit one. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

He’s a 2. And a darn good one at that. But let’s not try to pretend he’s a legit one. 

Ok. He’s a 2.

can you name some 1s, outside of Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, and OBJ. 

your standards seem to be VERY high. 

Edited by Nick the Greek
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Henry is going to cost a ton. He’s going to get the same kind of deal as bell got from the jets. But we can afford it as long as Beane gives himself an out after 2 years. Henry is a game changer and does not have the wear and tear you’d expect from a back finishing his rookie deal. They always had him in a timeshare rather it was with demarco Murray or Dion Lewis. They didn’t begin to feature Henry finally until the second half of last season. He is a monster. Him and singletary would be the best tandem in the league. I can’t see Tennessee letting him walk but you never know. 

I think teams have learned not to pay top dollar for RB's. What do you think he will get in FA. I'm thinking a 4 year deal for like $27M  with $13M G.  Something real similar to John Browns deal. And I would do that in a second.  U think I'm way off? What you think his contract looks like?

I get everyone’s concerns. But at the same time, look at our defense. We have 10 guys who started last year starting this year. Even much of the depth was the same players. The only new starter was Oliver, a top-10 pick.

Besides Allen, Dawkins and... Zay Jones. We had 9 new starters.

Last year everyone wanted to get move Dawkins to guard, or move him. In my opinion he has cemented himself as a solid starting LT in this league. I think those that want to move him forget just how bad offensive play around the league is. Our offensive line is a work in progress. But it’s all part of the... wait for it... PROCESS. Let them get another off-season, work together as a group, and continue to grow. Ford will continue to develop. Feliciano is a good player. Morse is solid. Spain is solid but idk if he’ll be back. Dawkins is also solid. Even if they lose Spain, returning 4/5 starters would be very helpful. 

Knox didn’t play TE until college and was totally underutilized. Another off-season for he and Sweeney will be very helpful. Keep Kroft around for another year if necessary. It’s not an elite TE group. But year 1 to year 2 should see a big development for Knox imo.

Singletary should be the starter. Yeldon is fine as a 3rd back, and then they should probably replace Gore with a younger guy. Either a free agent or a draftee. But I’d want someone who can pound between the tackles. That’ll give them a better chance to carry out those runs up the gut they continually try with Gore.

Receiver should be upgraded significantly. I could the reasoning for getting a free agent like Cooper, or Green. But Green’s injuries and Coopers cost/desire to play in Buffalo,NY make me believe those are unlikely at best. They should still sign a free agent, but basically sign someone who can play outside, but won’t be cost prohibitive. I don’t have any names on my mind, but a bigger outside guy who can sign a 1-2 year deal around $4-$5 million should add a different look, especially if they have another speed gear than Duke Williams. 
I would keep Brown/Beasley/McKenzie/Roberts for sure. Would let free agent battle Duke for a spot. Then I would go after a receiver in round 1. 
Beane is always aggressive. We’ve seen that in is trades up in the draft (For Allen/Knox, etc), and the light pursuit of Antonio Brown. The pursuit of Brown also showed they believe they still need a #1. I see them either trading up for Jeudy/Lamb/Higgins or staying out and going after Shenault or Davontae Smith. I could also see them drafting another receiver later as they have multiple 5th and 6th round picks, with the great depth of this WR class, and letting that guy challenge for a spot on the 53 or even going practice squad for a year.

overall I think the offense is on the right track. But MxDermott’s comments after the Baltimore game surely show that he realizes he can coach the defense he has, but needs more pieces on the offense to win more chess matches in the NFL. 

20 hours ago, In Summary said:

If Beane continues to bundle picks to trade up and get non-QBs I'll be disappointed. 

Bills got 9 picks coming.  If they use a 5th or 6th to make a move I would be fine with that.

9 rookies will not be making the team, especially 3 6th rounders.