Week 15: Bills at Steelers on SNF

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I feel this game will determine our season.  We currently control our own destiny. If we win we are in the playoffs.

If we lose, we lose the tie breaker with the Steelers.  We then need to hope the Steelers lose to either the Jets or the Ravens.  If the Ravens have clinched home field throughout the playoffs, they may be resting their starters and Steelers could win that game.

This is a defining game.  Defense needs to play at their best.  The offense must protect Allen better.  Allen needs to hit some long passes.  I am a huge Allen fan, but his continually over throwing open receivers down field is getting hard to take.  If he had hit one of those throws vs the Ravens, we would have won the game.

I am really concerned about this game Sunday night.

Go Bills!

If we win any of the 3 games we are in the playoffs.  Tie breaker with the Steelers doesn't matter at all.  I don't know what you are getting at.

5 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I feel this game will determine our season.  We currently control our own destiny. If we win we are in the playoffs.

If we lose, we lose the tie breaker with the Steelers.  We then need to hope the Steelers lose to either the Jets or the Ravens.  If the Ravens have clinched home field throughout the playoffs, they may be resting their starters and Steelers could win that game.

This is a defining game.  Defense needs to play at their best.  The offense must protect Allen better.  Allen needs to hit some long passes.  I am a huge Allen fan, but his continually over throwing open receivers down field is getting hard to take.  If he had hit one of those throws vs the Ravens, we would have won the game.

I am really concerned about this game Sunday night.

Go Bills!

I hope they win obviously but there is no tiebreaker scenario here. The Bills only need to win one of the final 3 games to make the playoffs. They control their own destiny when it comes to simply punching the ticket. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Matt Parrino article from NYUp:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/12/how-josh-allen-bills-offense-is-planning-to-bounce-back-vs-steelers-no-5-pass-defense.html

Some Steelers-sided perspective on Allen:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/12/11/21011129/steelers-prepare-for-a-different-form-of-running-quarterback-in-bills-josh-allen-nfl-news-week-15

Spoiler: they think he's a little different in running style than Kyler Murray, they've noticed his banged-up ankle, and they believe a spy will help

How they think their offense can beat us:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/12/11/21004023/steelers-staying-ahead-of-the-chains-will-be-the-key-to-offensive-success-vs-the-bills-duck-hodges

Spoiler: they think we are vulnerable to the inside zone and have pulled up Eagles footage to demonstrate.  Hope we've fixed it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/10/2019 at 6:23 PM, Heitz said:

Are there a lot of TBD'ers heading to the game?   Should we start a roll call thread?  Where's the Pinto tailgate (haven't seen it pop up on Twitter yet).

I'm heading to the 'Burgh on Friday to meet up with hometown homies and college bros!  Parking in one of the Gold lots and other friends are at Stage AE.

Should be fun, I've never been to a game in Heinz Field (only a couple in Three Rivers BITD) and I haven't seen the crew in a loooong time!  :beer:

Enjoy man, hopefully there will be a large Bills contingent there with you to turn up the noise on the inexperienced Hodges. 

I was at Heinz Field to see UB play University of Pittsburgh back in 2007 or 2008. Was a cool stadium from what I can remember, we were up in the nosebleeds. Pitt had a certain RB back then as well who made a lot of tacklers look silly (Shady). 

Go Bills!

21 hours ago, Greg S said:

It's amazing that they are only 6-7 when you look their talent.

It really is...Exhibit A that coaching and culture do matter (and that having a meddlesome sociopath for an owner can really hurt your team's chances for success). 

Thankfully, I think we're in good shape on all three and another great off-season would vault our Bills into the upper echelon of genuine Super Bowl contenders.

50 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Really hope they are just being cautious with Liuget, we will really need him this week to stop the Steelers rushing attack. 

We do? Not so sure...they're 24th in rushing yards per game, and only 5 teams average fewer YPC than Pittsburgh.

Contrast that with Buffalo, who averages almost a full YPC more.

People saying PGH offense is bad overlook that they are getting back their two best skill position players this week. The Bills will not be seeing the same team that has been out there the last few games. 

The Steelers have one of the best defenses in football, an improved offense, a great coach, at home, huge game, have won 7 of 8...hard to feel like this is anything but a very hard game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

People saying PGH offense is bad overlook that they are getting back their two best skill position players this week. The Bills will not be seeing the same team that has been out there the last few games. 

The Steelers have one of the best defenses in football, an improved offense, a great coach, at home, huge game, have won 7 of 8...hard to feel like this is anything but a very hard game. 

Neither of those players were having even a decent year for them.

JuJu had only 3 games with more than 70 yards (out of 10), and Connor average 3.3 YPC or fewer in 5/8 games.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

We do? Not so sure...they're 24th in rushing yards per game, and only 5 teams average fewer YPC than Pittsburgh.

Contrast that with Buffalo, who averages almost a full YPC more.

without Conner, now with Conner. They have also gotten better schematically and statistically in their run game recently (sure, opponents have something to do with it). 140 last game, 124 before that, 160 before that...add in Conner, Pouncey back...yea I am worried about their run game more so than their passing attack. And we have been much better against the run since adding Liuget, so yea...I do think we need him in the lineup. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

We haven't beaten the Steelers in 20 years. October 10th 1999 was the last time we beat them. We are 0-7 against them since. I hope we are able to snap that streak on Sunday night. I'm getting pretty pumped. Playoff spot on the line. Let's get it done

The history is tough to review, but it doesn’t mean much. There are only two players, and zero coaches on this team who even played the Steelers last time they met 3 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. While this current team has never played on SNF, many of the players have on other teams before coming to the Bills and have experienced success. If the Bills lose it will have nothing to do with the history of the Steelers or SNF. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1