Week 15: Bills at Steelers on SNF

YoloinOhio

I hope the Bills learned to start fast and not be in awe of anybody.   They could have beaten the Ravens if they made just a few more plays.  

This is is a very big game for our program.  I do not want to stumble into the playoffs by beating the Jets at home.  I want to beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh.  

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I get it.

The Steelers are home and the Buffalo offense just played a game where it looked like they had never seen a blitz before. And guess what the Steelers strength is?

Honestly asking...I've seen this mentioned several times about the Steelers being one of the best blitzing teams and I would have assumed that too, but do the stats actually back this up? According to NFL Matchup on ESPN (they tweet out stats a lot), they aren't even in the top 10 (meanwhile the Ravens are 1st by a mile). 

No doubt that Watt, Dupree, and others provide an excellent pass rush, but good blitzing teams seem to be our biggest kryptonite at the moment and I think we match up better against the Steelers. I think the Bills have demonstrated that they're able to neutralize good pass rushers for the most part when they know where they're coming from throughout the season. 

Also, as @whatdrought mentioned, the Steelers have played some pretty trash offenses for the last 6-7 weeks to pad their turnover and sack stats. Bengals, Dolphins, Cardinals, Browns twice, Rams at their worst...no real tests since they played the Ravens in week 5.

Just my opinion, but I think we are likely undervaluing the Raven's defense and overestimating the Steelers a decent amount. 

ELW0SWaXYAEwQUy.png

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Honestly asking...I've seen this mentioned several times about the Steelers being one of the best blitzing teams and I would have assumed that too, but do the stats actually back this up? According to NFL Matchup on ESPN (they tweet out stats a lot), they aren't even in the top 10 (meanwhile the Ravens are 1st by a mile). 

No doubt that Watt, Dupree, and others provide an excellent pass rush, but good blitzing teams seem to be our biggest kryptonite at the moment and I think we match up better against the Steelers. I think the Bills have demonstrated that they're able to neutralize good pass rushers for the most part when they know where they're coming from throughout the season. 

Also, as @whatdrought mentioned, the Steelers have played some pretty trash offenses for the last 6-7 weeks to pad their turnover and sack stats. Bengals, Dolphins, Cardinals, Browns twice, Rams at their worst...no real tests since they played the Ravens in week 5.

Just my opinion, but I think we are likely undervaluing the Raven's defense and overestimating the Steelers a decent amount. 

ELW0SWaXYAEwQUy.png

Agree. Steelers dont blitz alot, but when they do, typically slot blitz.  They have backed off their patented zone blitz, double a gap lb stunts.  Now with watt and Dupree, they play a lot of coverage and rely on the talented front four.  

Also, just a weird nugget but something everyone will notice (if not known already)....the steelers copied our 3rd down train horn, lol, prepare for their version of its 3rddddd downnnnnn

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

It's going to suck Sasquatch balls sitting up watching this game and then having to turn around and get up at 4:30a.m Monday morning.  Ahh well, gotta do what ya gotta do, no way in hell I'm missing this game.

If the bills win and clinch a playoff spot, adrenaline and excitement will get you through Monday 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bkep32 said:

Pitt blitz just as much an as often as the ravens do.  If they dont scheme the OL to pick it up or the quick pass game to combat that it wont matter if juju or conner are back or not.  

The Ravens have blitzed on 240 plays 47.8% of dropbacks

The Steelers have blitzed on 170 plays 33.7% of dropbacks

That may not include yesterdays games.

Edited by Scott7975

59 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

ELW0SWaXYAEwQUy.png

I cant find the exact rating but I did find that Pitts has given up 21 passing TDs while blitzing.  Baltimore only 11.  Through week 13 anyways.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Not that it’s any surprise but Schefter just said both Juju and Connor eyeing return Sunday. They know what time it is. 

This definitely makes Steelers offense look much better. Hopefully we can confuse Hodges and get some picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pittsburgh isn't Blitzburgh right now.  Its Watt and Dupree causing havoc and so help me God if I see Knox one on one with either of them I'm storming the booth and snatching Dabol's headset.  

We're going to have to play mistake free.  They are making their living off turnovers.  And you cannot run on them.  They just don't allow anything on the ground. 

Still working on a game plan I'll report back by Wednesday lol..

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Of course they are.  this is... dare I say it...... the Steelers’ SUPER BOWL.

No, but it’s basically a playoff game for both teams. Sunday night game with a ton on the line. We win and we’re in. They win and they’re in control of their fate. This game is going to be hard fought and the crowd will be in it unless we shut them up. 

18 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Pittsburgh isn't Blitzburgh right now.  Its Watt and Dupree causing havoc and so help me God if I see Knox one on one with either of them I'm storming the booth and snatching Dabol's headset.  

We're going to have to play mistake free.  They are making their living off turnovers.  And you cannot run on them.  They just don't allow anything on the ground. 

I’d love to see Daboll bait one of them though. Have Singletary and Knox on one side, have Knox “get burned” followed by a Singletary “whiff” and a screen. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d love to see Daboll bait one of them though. Have Singletary and Knox on one side, have Knox “get burned” followed by a Singletary “whiff” and a screen. 

Yep.  We do not do enough of that.  If teams are going to be coming hard at Josh its time to get a little more creative than bubble screens to McKenzie.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They allow 101 rush yds a game. Good for 9th in the league. Definitely solid, but a mere 4 less yds a game than us and the run game is considered a liability for buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.  We do not do enough of that.  If teams are going to be coming hard at Josh its time to get a little more creative than bubble screens to McKenzie.

That’s the kicker.... Teams think Knox and Singletary aren’t the best blockers.... USE IT... Get a big play and it’ll slow down the rush. 

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding the blitz vs the ravens, the bills missed the plays they had when protection held up. If they hit on those plays or even one of them the blitzes will slow. One play in particular was a dropped pass by singletary that would have went for a very large gain.

A key to beat the blitz, hit a big play. They had the opportunities yesterday just didn't convert

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Regarding the blitz vs the ravens, the bills missed the plays they had when protection held up. If they hit on those plays or even one of them the blitzes will slow. One play in particular was a dropped pass by singletary that would have went for a very large gain.

A key to beat the blitz, hit a big play. They had the opportunities yesterday just didn't convert

We’ve also had really unfortunate winds at home games this year. Worse than I can recall in the past. Seems like most of our home games this year have had difficult winds. Josh has certainly struggled this year with the deep ball, but even a little wind can compound the problem. 

• Like (+1) 1