Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

1 hour ago, GregPersons said:

To me this is a question of who would you rather have had active on Sunday? Based on what you've seen this year. Tyler Kroft (5 games) or Duke Williams (1 game)?

Who would you rather running across the middle when you need a TD? Why would anyone say Kroft?

At this point I'd take Duke over mckenzie. Mckenzie has had a few moments, but I wouldn't say they've been game changing 

7 hours ago, Dopey said:

How do you read his 2 tweets?

What do you make of them?

Just to be clear, this isn't the Duke williams that's currently on the bills, it's another Duke that played for the bills previously 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

At this point I'd take Duke over mckenzie. Mckenzie has had a few moments, but I wouldn't say they've been game changing 

Just to be clear, this isn't the Duke williams that's currently on the bills, it's another Duke that played for the bills previously 

Yea, reed83 and I pm'd each other and he brought that to my attention. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Steptide said:

No disagreement from me, I'd take that as well, but at least McKenzie has made some impact this season... Kroft has been completely absent, and it's not like there's no sample size. He's played 5 games! He's playing like he's on IR for the amount of impact he's had on the offense.

On 12/9/2019 at 8:49 PM, Braedenstearns said:

Has anyone ever asked in a press conference or a call why they don’t use duke or yeldon?

That is the same thought I had also.I'm of the firm belief that Duke must have violated some policy or rule that has kept him off the field.

Nothing else,makes sense to me! 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:16 PM, GregPersons said:

To me this is a question of who would you rather have had active on Sunday? Based on what you've seen this year. Tyler Kroft (5 games) or Duke Williams (1 game)?

Who would you rather running across the middle when you need a TD? Why would anyone say Kroft?

Why would it be Kroft or Duke? If they decide to activate him Kroft won’t be the one sitting. Kroft had 21 plays he was out there vs Baltimore. Don’t even think he was targeted. McKenzie played like 50 something meaningless snaps and basically did nothing. 

Edited by Rc2catch

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why would it be Kroft or Duke? If they decide to activate him Kroft won’t be the one sitting.

I have an idea. Why doesn't the shield allow all 53 players to play. This whole activate crap is ridiculous. Would 7 extra players on the sideline in uniform really throw off the league flux continuum?  

Edited by LABILLBACKER

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I have an idea. Why doesn't the shield allow all 53 players to play. This whole activate crap is ridiculous. Would 7 extra players on the sideline in uniform really throw off the league flux continuum?  

Pretty sure the 53 man roster limit was a compromise because teams were simply stashing players on IR. It’s to limit the advantage a team might have if they’re lucky enough to be relatively injury free. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why would it be Kroft or Duke? If they decide to activate him Kroft won’t be the one sitting. Kroft had 21 plays he was out there vs Baltimore. Don’t even think he was targeted. McKenzie played like 50 something meaningless snaps and basically did nothing. 

I singled out Kroft because he's done absolutely nothing as our TE1, in 5 games played. Duke is a WR but physically he has the size to play as a pass-catching TE. I'm advocating for the creative genius Daboll to creatively look at his roster and see if we can upgrade the TE position from within. McKenzie's use as a gadget WR is different enough from Duke that I'd prefer to keep him active... he, too, has done very little, though not as little as Kroft! 

I think the offense could open up quite a bit with Duke & Knox as the receiving TEs. Lee Smith for blocking and taking penalties.

2 WR, 2 TE - Brown, Beasley, Duke, Knox 

3 WR 1 TE - Brown, Beasley, Foster/McKenzie, Knox/Duke/Smith

Edited by GregPersons

47 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

I singled out Kroft because he's done absolutely nothing as our TE1, in 5 games played. Duke is a WR but physically he has the size to play as a pass-catching TE. I'm advocating for the creative genius Daboll to creatively look at his roster and see if we can upgrade the TE position from within. McKenzie's use as a gadget WR is different enough from Duke that I'd prefer to keep him active... he, too, has done very little, though not as little as Kroft! 

I think the offense could open up quite a bit with Duke & Knox as the receiving TEs. Lee Smith for blocking and taking penalties.

2 WR, 2 TE - Brown, Beasley, Duke, Knox 

3 WR 1 TE - Brown, Beasley, Foster/McKenzie, Knox/Duke/Smith

Duke is literally the same size as foster just 20 pounds heavier. 
I have mentioned before people keep saying Kroft has done nothing. Well of course not he had one target in the raven game and played like 20 snaps. Knox is the pass catching TE as far as the playbook goes. He’s the only one schemed in the playbook for passing routes. Kroft can’t do anything if they don’t throw him the ball. You know what he can do? Run out 5-8 yards and catch passes all day long if they actually throw it. He can also body a defender in the end zone if they throw it. 
If they had any interest in upgrading the passing game via tight end they have 2 options they don’t even try to use. Sweeney showed a little flash for making catches and Kroft can. They just don’t try. Or Allen doesn’t look. I keep defending Kroft and I’m not even a big fan of his, I just can’t believe he’s become a whipping boy around here who “does nothing” when they don’t even throw him the ball. If you are looking for production from tight ends and what Knox gives isn’t enough look not further then Daboll and Allen. Guys are missed open short all the time. Allen is fixated on 15-30 yard completions a lot. Singletary for example could catch passes all day from the backfield he’s open a ton and Allen never even considers looking that way unless it’s a designed play. Cheer for duke as we all should, but stop hating on Kroft over make believe “does nothing”

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Duke is literally the same size as foster just 20 pounds heavier. 
I have mentioned before people keep saying Kroft has done nothing. Well of course not he had one target in the raven game and played like 20 snaps. Knox is the pass catching TE as far as the playbook goes. He’s the only one schemed in the playbook for passing routes. Kroft can’t do anything if they don’t throw him the ball. You know what he can do? Run out 5-8 yards and catch passes all day long if they actually throw it. He can also body a defender in the end zone if they throw it. 
If they had any interest in upgrading the passing game via tight end they have 2 options they don’t even try to use. Sweeney showed a little flash for making catches and Kroft can. They just don’t try. Or Allen doesn’t look. I keep defending Kroft and I’m not even a big fan of his, I just can’t believe he’s become a whipping boy around here who “does nothing” when they don’t even throw him the ball. If you are looking for production from tight ends and what Knox gives isn’t enough look not further then Daboll and Allen. Guys are missed open short all the time. Allen is fixated on 15-30 yard completions a lot. Singletary for example could catch passes all day from the backfield he’s open a ton and Allen never even considers looking that way unless it’s a designed play. Cheer for duke as we all should, but stop hating on Kroft over make believe “does nothing”

Well that's fair enough. Kroft hasn't been targeted, and subbing in Duke or anyone else might not change that if they aren't calling plays to target the TE. 

Really all of these are coming from the same place — just pitching ideas to the ether and hoping for the coaches to find ways to use the talent already on the roster to fill the need of the big-bodied target, something that was felt notably at the Baltimore game but all season too. 

Knox isn't enough, not yet. They need another dude, and maybe they have him on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, Mark Vader said:

Someone at my club actually believes that if Duke Williams had played today, the Bills would have won.

Duke Williams outmuscles Peters there on the goal line and catches that ball IMO

On 12/9/2019 at 1:45 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Duke Williams says we need a WR#1

This is Duke Williams the DB, not WR. Just in case you weren't aware. I'm not sure.

@Dopey

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Duke Williams outmuscles Peters there on the goal line and catches that ball IMO

This is Duke Williams the DB, not WR. Just in case you weren't aware. I'm not sure.

@Dopey

Yea, initially I thought it was the WR. I've had a couple of people here straighten this out. Reed83HOF was one of the folks to bring it to my attention. Thanks. 

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

@Dopey

You think that Duke would have gotten there, faster than Brown?

On 12/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, Mark Vader said:

I don't think we lost today because of our wide receivers.

Well the pass catching was certainly pRt of why we lost.