Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The point is having a receiver who catches passes even when contested would certainly improve the odds of winning, don’t ya think? And being that DW is the only guy on the team that fits that role your statement makes no sense, 

Maybe the coaches see him in practice and he's just not what you hope he is. It's not like the Bills are saving him for some reason. 

33 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Maybe the coaches see him in practice and he's just not what you hope he is. It's not like the Bills are saving him for some reason. 

Even Sal Capaccio stopped saying "they must be saving him for a particular match up".

47 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

It is odd to see a guy who has performed very well get benched in effect when he has caught all but one pass he has been targeted on, does get separation on routes, notably got separation on a winning TD pass (Baldy did a film review on it) DW got separation in restricted space in four steps, yes I counted, blocks very well on running plays, is a good red zone target, and this STs crap is not even close to a good argument, you always want players who perform on offense on the field ahead of ST needs, always. This is a case of coach sticking with non producers over a guy who does produce, SM does have a history of doing this, and on more than one occasion, can’t be argued. This point I’m making is on this specific situation, overall SM has been very good for Buffalo, I think we all agree on that, but like all humans he has faults, as pointed out above. Yes I’m always right, ?

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

So what about special teams.  He just needs to be on the field.  Our punter only punts it like 30 yards and out of bounds anyhow.  Even if he does boot it, I doubt one position on our special teams is going to be the difference.  He can however make a difference on a play or two in the offense.  Sometimes that's all it takes.  McKenzie and Foster made what difference?

So the punting average was 42.9 yards per NFL stats.  Are they wrong?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If we're not going to use McKenzie in the jet sweep game, let's activate Duke. 

If we decide to run those, Foster can run them and i'm beyond sick of seeing Josh throw one contested sideline pass per game to the smallest WR on the field.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we're not going to use McKenzie in the jet sweep game, let's activate Duke. 

If we decide to run those, Foster can run them and i'm beyond sick of seeing Josh throw one contested sideline pass per game to the smallest WR on the field.

This is my thinking too. While Duke may not be a deep threat, I do think he can make some of those contested catches on the sideline 10 yards downfield, and also in the red zone 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The point is having a receiver who catches passes even when contested would certainly improve the odds of winning, don’t ya think? And being that DW is the only guy on the team that fits that role your statement makes no sense, 

Go Bills!!!

So since Duke Williams played in the game against the Eagles, we should have won, correct?

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

So since Duke Williams played in the game against the Eagles, we should have won, correct?

Silly statement on your behalf, if you are going to act like this just go have a beer or two with your friends so as to spare the board of that level of wisdom. Nuthin but luv, dude but come on...

22 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

They are choosing the speed over size presently 

They can have both, if they would just choose to.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

See below...

4 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Which is pretty much what all the members of the media that covers the Bills say.  

The guy has 6 catches and 1 TD, but hasn't shown much else (either in games, or in practice, again from what the media says), not sure why everyone thinks that he's a super stud that we're just purposefully keeping stashed on the inactive list.  He's tall, he's made some nice contested catches in his CFL career, but perhaps he just needs more seasoning to be NFL ready. 

Stock NFL fandom though I guess, we always want something else, even if only because WE think it's best... ?:beer:

Edited by Heitz

7 minutes ago, Heitz said:

See below...

Which is pretty much what all the members of the media that covers the Bills say.  

The guy has 6 catches and 1 TD, but hasn't shown much else (either in games, or in practice, again from what the media says), not sure why everyone thinks that he's a super stud that we're just purposefully keeping stashed on the inactive list.  He's tall, he's made some nice contested catches in his CFL career, but perhaps he just needs more seasoning to be NFL ready. 

Stock NFL fandom though I guess, we always want something else, even if only because WE think it's best... ?:beer:

If you had payed attention to what you had read here, you would know that no one is saying he is Jerry Rice, but just a dependable guy who can catch passes, and has done so during NFL games with some success, as you pointed out yourself in your post, something that was in short supply in our last game.  It’s not an all or none proposition, it can be both. There is a forest in those trees...

Go Bills!!!

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

If you had payed attention to what you had read here, you would know that no one is saying he is Jerry Rice, but just a dependable guy who can catch passes, and has done so during NFL games with some success, as you pointed out yourself in your post, something that was in short supply in our last game.  It’s not an all or none proposition, it can be both. There is a forest in those trees...

Go Bills!!!

How many games has he played in the NFL? That is a reach to call him dependable and shown success in the NFL. He has barely played. At this point he is barely NFL talent yet on these board he is a dependable, proven, #1 WR that can help win games for you. Huh?

41 minutes ago, ngbills said:

How many games has he played in the NFL? That is a reach to call him dependable and shown success in the NFL. He has barely played. At this point he is barely NFL talent yet on these board he is a dependable, proven, #1 WR that can help win games for you. Huh?

Again, NO ONE is saying he is a #1 only you say this, because your argument is very weak, DW has been dependable during games he has played in, it can not be argued otherwise.  You make yourself appear childish with your unsubstantiated description of what members have posted. “ We are men of action, lies do not become us”  a quote from a popular movie, you should heed it. 

Go Bills!!!

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Again, NO ONE is saying he is a #1 only you say this, because your argument is very weak, DW has been dependable during games he has played in, it can not be argued otherwise.  You make yourself appear childish with your unsubstantiated description of what members have posted. “ We are men of action, lies do not become us”  a quote from a popular movie, you should heed it. 

Go Bills!!!

Yes people have said he is a #1 in essence by saying he is the guy you throw the ball to on the last play of the game. 

He has played in 3 games. Not sure what the definition of dependable is? I would think it at least is someone you suit up every week. And in the games he had one decent game and in the other tow despite receiving over 50% of the snaps in each caught 1 ball. Calling him dependable makes it sound like he came out and had at least average games, not 1 catch. Those are substantiated facts. 

Say hi to Duke for me...

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Yes people have said he is a #1 in essence by saying he is the guy you throw the ball to on the last play of the game. 

He has played in 3 games. Not sure what the definition of dependable is? I would think it at least is someone you suit up every week. And in the games he had one decent game and in the other tow despite receiving over 50% of the snaps in each caught 1 ball. Calling him dependable makes it sound like he came out and had at least average games, not 1 catch. Those are substantiated facts. 

Say hi to Duke for me...

In essences? Really?  so In other words no one has said it.

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Silly statement on your behalf, if you are going to act like this just go have a beer or two with your friends so as to spare the board of that level of wisdom. Nuthin but luv, dude but come on...

Just as silly as your comment that Duke Williams is the only receiver who can catch contested passes. Apparently you have little to no confidence in players like John Brown & Cole Beasley, who may not be perfect, but have been very good players for us.

Nuthin but luv, you say?

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

That's what you call luv?

On 12/11/2019 at 11:07 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think he would have been there and with better leverage, yeah. I don't think speed was a big factor there.

Nobody in the NFL was catching that ball. Peters literally had perfect coverage and his hand was on the ball before it got to the receiver. It was a great defensive play. Duke Williams is NOT making that catch. 

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

Honestly.  The guy had super limited snaps and his last play was a huge one when he got hurt.  Not sure about the separation thing.  

Think he banged someone's wife.