Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

Ifs and buts...

Seriously? So, so stupid. I thought the wild duke comparisons were over but this takes it to that next level.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow.

Really idiotic.

Especially now in a league that's pretty obviously veering strongly away from the statuesque QB and in a year when Brady blows.

have another one hawaii. Good lord.

22 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Knox can't catch.

That's one of just 2 critical components 

Stop being such a whiny cotton headed ninny muggins.

I'm looking at this year. Duke can be cut in the offseason for all I care so long as we take care of the prerequisite qualifications.

Stop focusing on your misconception that I'm comparing Duke Williams with Gonzalez and Gronk--which I'm not--and start focusing on our most disturbing issue...

HIGHEST DROP PERCENTAGE IN THE NFL

Why even make this silly thread listing great receivers that other teams have? Why not just go to the other stupid Duke thread and say how you think he should be active. Is that not LAMP enough?

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No, I am not REMOTELY saying Duke Williams is on the level of one current 1st ballot HOFer and one future 1st ballot HOFer...

but...

When was the last time Buffalo had AND utilized a well known surehanded AND big bodied WR or TE?

Pete Metzelaars????

I'm talking surehanded in the manner that Gronk's scouting report describes him, which is the description of "consistent hands and plucks the ball." Gonzales was the same player throughout his career.

Is there any more important attribute as a guy who catches the football?

Guys, the Bills have the HIGHEST drop percentage in the NFL through 13 games BY FAR!!!

Has the Bills organization been overvaluing lesser important skillsets over the last 2+ decades?

I feel like off the top of my head I can go through a BUNCH of NFL teams and find guys very recently that fit this category:

Detroit had Megatron 

San Diego had Gates

Tampa has Mike Evan's

Pat's had Gronk

Cardinals have Fitz

Cleveland had Gordon (saw Pats and now Seahawks follow)

Bengals have AJ Green

Bears then Eagles had/have Jeffery 

Saints have Michael Thomas

Saints then Eagles had/have Jimmy Graham 

Chiefs have Kelce (had Gonzalez)

Falcons have Julio (had Gonzalez)

Panthers have Olsen

Honestly, do we have this guy on the roster? I truly think Knox could be that guy if he could learn to catch the damn football, but not right now. Maybe he gets with the jugs machine and wildly improves next year... happened with Gonzalez in the aforementioned show by his own admission.

Truthfully, right now the closest guy we have is Duke Williams, who's inactive every week.

This all just seems like a bad recipe for a team with a young QB who's been repeatedly advertised as "inaccurate."

Again, the Bills have the 2nd highest total number of drops in the NFL but have the highest drop % in the NFL!!!

This has been seemingly a trend with this team as we care about "versatility" and "athleticism"--see Charles Clay. Those are great traits unless they exist without the ability to reliably finish the play.

I hope Knox becomes this guy next year, but he sucks for reliability right now.

Time to activate Duke and start throwing it to him. 

Get a true #1 next year, but let's make sure we have all our best options actually active to start utilizing them so we can make some damn noise this year...and it starts Sunday!!!

Spot on. We need sure-handed receivers who won’t kill drives. So frustrating to see the perfect play call blown up by poor execution. Too bad some reader-posters here missed your point. 

I would make the argument differently than TPBF but have much the same opinion about Duke.  He has traits that others in the WR corps lack.  That deep ball to Foster that some wanted a challenge for PI?  Duke does not get easily bumped out of position and then used like a pommel horse by the db.   On that post by Brown Duke could lean into the db just prior to the break with a bump and then his wider body prevents the db from getting to the catch point to get the pbu.   Anyways, a bigger bodied wr has ways to win a play that others do not.

Freddie, it could have been autocorrect.  I’m sure the OP knows it’s Mike Evans.

The only part that is a knock on Williams is it’s reported he’s slow so cannot get separation.  I know that is in contrast to speed, but if they can’t catch, it doesn’t matter how fast they run.

I see both sides.

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Freddie, it could have been autocorrect.  I’m sure the OP knows it’s Mike Evans.

The only part that is a knock on Williams is it’s reported he’s slow so cannot get separation.  I know that is in contrast to speed, but if they can’t catch, it doesn’t matter how fast they run.

I see both sides.

....the whole "Duke" issue is pretty confusing.....first, I read an article where McBeane was quoted (paraphrased), "the signing of Duke Williams made drafting a WR early not a top priority"........sounds like a pretty confident statement IMO....secondly, if separation was a major issue, shouldn't it have been clearly evident in CFL game tapes (certainly there is a significant talent level difference with NFL vs CFL)?..........thirdly, he has appeared in THREE games this year....is that a fair and valid assessment period to evaluate his separation abilities?...

Old Time, you know I respect you’re opinion, and I’m not stating he’s slow, just stating it has been commented by either coaching or Mgmt or the media.  In his three games, I watched on TV, and one limitation is in real time not shows no enough down the field of whether he was getting separation or not.  For anyone who has season tickets and seen him play, I defer to you’re opinions.

Dawson Knox    at his pro day for Ole Miss he ran a reported 4.57.   Apr 26, 2019

At the NFL Combine, Duke Williams ran a 4.72 in the 40-yard dash

Not sure which one is better at contested passes or who is sure handed. It would be nice to have both tall targets on the field.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow.

Really idiotic.

Especially now in a league that's pretty obviously veering strongly away from the statuesque QB and in a year when Brady blows.

2 HOF TEs make you want to see more of a CFL WR that has been active for 3 games? I’m the idiot?

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Old Time, you know I respect you’re opinion, and I’m not stating he’s slow, just stating it has been commented by either coaching or Mgmt or the media.  In his three games, I watched on TV, and one limitation is in real time not shows no enough down the field of whether he was getting separation or not.  For anyone who has season tickets and seen him play, I defer to you’re opinions.

'......absolutely not challenging your assessment my good friend.......was citing some questions I have as to how they could have apparently missed so badly on their pre-signing assessment whereby he has only been in three games...do you think there could be more to it, perhaps not a good fit in what Daboll wants to do?......

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Knox can't catch.

That's one of just 2 critical components 

Stop being such a whiny cotton headed ninny muggins.

I'm looking at this year. Duke can be cut in the offseason for all I care so long as we take care of the prerequisite qualifications.

Stop focusing on your misconception that I'm comparing Duke Williams with Gonzalez and Gronk--which I'm not--and start focusing on our most disturbing issue...

HIGHEST DROP PERCENTAGE IN THE NFL

I guess I wonder about that. Per this link:https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=13466

He drops 15% but catches 57%. Is thst terrible for a rookie or normal but hecause he is a Bill we notice it more? Not arguing the point just wondering out loud. Perhaps plug in an average TE in the league, is he close? Way off? 

9 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

I guess I wonder about that. Per this link:https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=13466

He drops 15% but catches 57%. Is thst terrible for a rookie or normal but hecause he is a Bill we notice it more? Not arguing the point just wondering out loud. Perhaps plug in an average TE in the league, is he close? Way off? 

Here you go.....

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Second in the league...... 26 receptions & 9 drops!!!!!!  Wow that is bad.

Add to that Beasley, Brown & Singletary with 4 apiece!!!!!  

Duke catches balls & is a BIG Target.  At least he would make a better target then Foster or Mackenzie.

Edited by Billsfan1972

24 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here you go.....

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Second in the league...... 26 receptions & 9 drops!!!!!!  Wow that is bad.

Add to that Beasley, Brown & Singletary with 4 apiece!!!!!  

Duke catches balls & is a BIG Target.  At least he would make a better target then Foster or Mackenzie.

I dont disagree.  Was looking for those #s. Thanks.

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Honestly, do we have this guy on the roster? I truly think Knox could be that guy if he could learn to catch the damn football, but not right now. Maybe he gets with the jugs machine and wildly improves next year... happened with Gonzalez in the aforementioned show by his own admission.

....he's a damn 3rd round rook who has started nine games.....and who had 18 games of experience at the collegiate level with 39 receptions.....safe to say your expert analytical prowess has carried over from your BBMB days....SMH....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Dawson Knox    at his pro day for Ole Miss he ran a reported 4.57.   Apr 26, 2019

At the NFL Combine, Duke Williams ran a 4.72 in the 40-yard dash

Not sure which one is better at contested passes or who is sure handed. It would be nice to have both tall targets on the field.

Duke clearly has better hands over Dawson but not as fast. This might simply boil down to draft position.  More has been invested in Knox than Duke. Duke has caught every ball thrown to him. This is a frustrating development and the staff will have to figure out what direction they want to go in with selecting between Knox or Williams. This stupid NFL rule is embarrassing. Let all 53 play. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....he's a damn 3rd round rook who has started nine games.....and who had 18 games of experience at the collegiate level with 39 receptions.....safe to say your expert analytical prowess has carried over from your BBMB days....SMH....

All great points. This was my point in the post above. His drops percentage is 15% and how does that compare as a rookie. Also just thinking about it he also has quite a few drops because he is turning his head upfield before he is completing the catch. That seems more of a muscle memory fix then an ability issue no? He has the potential to be great and the coaches and team to get there imho.