Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

On McCoy: 

(1) McCoy is the lead back

(2) Its a different situation. McCoy lost snaps after a trade; it is entirely different if you are demoted within the building

(3) McDermott is in the locker room, you are not. 

(4) You are literally the first person I have heard suggest it was a mistake. This is a wild take. 

(5) McCoy is not a change of pace back. He replicates Singletary. Gore is a bruiser. 

On Williams:

(1) He doesn't get seperation, and with Josh being as cautious as he has been there is zero reason to think that he will throw to the guy with a DB draped over him. 

(2) DiMarco is the special teams captain. Williams doesn't play special teams. 

(3) All of that aside, would have made a difference? Maybe. There isn't any evidence to suggest it would, but sure, anything is possible.  Point is: at the end of the day suggesting McDermotts handling of the roster cost this team two games is a silly comment, which I, for the life of me, cannot understand why or how you are still defending. 

This is my last response to you and I'm only making it because you are having such trouble here.

In both of those games one play makes a difference.

One play.

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

This is my last response to you and I'm only making it because you are having such trouble here.

In both of those games one play makes a difference.

One play.

This is so crazy!!!! How do people like you actually exist???? I could be the guy on the roster, I could make that play! Literally anything can happen. To extrapolate as far as you do is crazy town. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But how come no one edited the tweet posts to make sure everyone knows it’s not Duke the WR though?

Good question. Yea, OP, WHY NOT!? Just kidding. I think most people got it. It went way over my head, though. I did think it was strange that Duke(WR) would make those comments. Glad it's cleared up.

1 hour ago, SJDK said:

You forgot the game winning TD thing that happened against Tennessee. I think McKenzie has had his chance. I think Foster has had his chance. Do you agree with that? Are you happy with the production we get from those two? I’m not. Again, I’m sure you notice that we are loaded with little guys and fast guys. Those players aren’t producing. Let’s mix in Duke and see if he can catch us another game winning touchdown. Seems logical and rational to say it’s time we get him in there again. Please don’t try to tell me he doesn’t get open, neither does Foster and neither does McKenzie consistently.

They have all had there chances. The coaches seem to think Duke offers less out there overall. I tend to agree. If Duke could play special teams or beat someone off the LOS, he would have been in a ton more. I just don't think the coaches want to make special teams any worse to bring in Duke. He just doesn't bring enough to the table yet. I do know Foster definitely gets open out there. I honestly didn't see that in Duke. 

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s a red herring, look at his TD catch, in limited space he gets separation and scores, try paying attention.  

I did watch the Tennessee game and the TD catch. I jumped up and yelled "DUKE!!" like everyone else. If he get's the call for the Pittsburgh game, I hope he kicks ass. I really do. I've said this a few times throughout various threads. Bring him in, the right way. I don't want to make are ST's any worse, just to bring in Duke. The only guy I might consider bringing him in for is Foster. But even then, Foster and Josh hit it off pretty well at the end of last year and he is getting open. It seems Duke isn't showing enough in practice or when he had his chance, that 1 TD aside. JMO, but I think he struggles beating CB's off the LOS. He's used to the running start in the CFL. Please don't bring up college. In college, 1/2 the time you're up against an 18 or 19 year old kid. Now he's got to beat professional CB's who are not wearing the "no contact" jersey in practice and he's having issues with that. I can't imaging the staff would prefer a contested pass vs. one to an open WR. The goal is still to get open. He's working on it in practice, but it seems coaches don't think he's progressed enough. As to the part in bold, I am.

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Guy caught 60 passes his one season in Cinci where he was used due to their injuries. Can’t dog him out that he had to play behind Eifert and Uzomah or however it’s spelled. 
60. Our wide receivers barely catch 60 balls in a season. 

Sooooooooo the point I was making was people saying Kroft has done nothing here in buffalo, yet nobody says why? Is he too slow after the injuries and can’t get open? Is he not running routes? I’m not a huge fan of his, I’m just not going to jump on the bandwagon of “he’s done nothing” with zero evidence of why he’s done nothing. One poster says something and it becomes gospel around here. One guy becomes a whipping boy and has to be ran out of town. That is just ignorant of people on here. People blame him as if it’s his fault they don’t throw, or that his contract was too big when he has a season under his belt with more production than we’ve seen from a tight end in a very long time. Please if you want to bash the guy give some examples of him not being able to beat coverage or catch a pass? People are seriously suggesting a 220 pound receiver with like 6 career catches play tight end. I appreciate your sarcasm of my reviewing of game film lol but no I just happened to pick him up on my fantasy team that year and watched him play occasionally on the Sunday ticket. Crazy to think Andy Dalton could check down to Kroft for easy safe short completions but here he can’t even get open at all. I don’t do the film reviews of our games but I’d love for one of the better educated guys on here who do the reviews to see if Kroft is never open, or never running routes. If I was to be a betting man I would wager on his routes Allen isn’t looking his direction ever. 

So many words to say you ARE. basing this on a si hike season in 5.  Flash in the pans are just that 

On 12/8/2019 at 5:14 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Duke Williams and Yeldon should both be active. But instead we are dressing guys like Senorise Perry that you couldn’t even find on the telecast. Then you have Frank Gore who is taking touches away from Singletary and looks like he’s running with an air conditioner tied to his cleats. This team is desperate for play makers and we are sitting guys that are capable of making big plays on offense. Very frustrating. 

Agree completely.  None of us know if Williams would make a difference but all of us know Gore, Perry, and McKenzie are not making a difference. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So many words to say you ARE. basing this on a si hike season in 5.  Flash in the pans are just that 

Ok whatever. You can’t even type a coherent sentence I don’t know why I would expect you  to understand anything. Hold your ground hater, and jump on the bandwagon of hating a bills player. And a player you don’t even have a reason to hate on. ?

Duke got his chance and as far as I could tell he was doing everything he was asked to do and catching pretty much everything thrown to him. It wasn’t reported but I believe he had a shoulder injury in the Miami game. There has to be more to the story than we know. From what I have seen he is the only receiver on the team that will go up and fight for a ball but I’m just casual fan so what do I know?

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is so crazy!!!! How do people like you actually exist???? I could be the guy on the roster, I could make that play! Literally anything can happen. To extrapolate as far as you do is crazy town. 

Don't demean. It doesn't make your argument stronger. Agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

McKenzie is. I never said I want him out. He’s important 

Not really but I get your point. 

I'd would sit Dimarco, Gore, and McKenzie, in favor Williams, Yeldon, and Taylor. Perry would be the third RB. I like having an additional body on the DL to go up against very good Steelers o-line. Lee Smith can play third TE or FB. 

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

They have all had there chances. The coaches seem to think Duke offers less out there overall. I tend to agree. If Duke could play special teams or beat someone off the LOS, he would have been in a ton more. I just don't think the coaches want to make special teams any worse to bring in Duke. He just doesn't bring enough to the table yet. I do know Foster definitely gets open out there. I honestly didn't see that in Duke. 

I did watch the Tennessee game and the TD catch. I jumped up and yelled "DUKE!!" like everyone else. If he get's the call for the Pittsburgh game, I hope he kicks ass. I really do. I've said this a few times throughout various threads. Bring him in, the right way. I don't want to make are ST's any worse, just to bring in Duke. The only guy I might consider bringing him in for is Foster. But even then, Foster and Josh hit it off pretty well at the end of last year and he is getting open. It seems Duke isn't showing enough in practice or when he had his chance, that 1 TD aside. JMO, but I think he struggles beating CB's off the LOS. He's used to the running start in the CFL. Please don't bring up college. In college, 1/2 the time you're up against an 18 or 19 year old kid. Now he's got to beat professional CB's who are not wearing the "no contact" jersey in practice and he's having issues with that. I can't imaging the staff would prefer a contested pass vs. one to an open WR. The goal is still to get open. He's working on it in practice, but it seems coaches don't think he's progressed enough. As to the part in bold, I am.

We all have our thoughts on Duke, and I understand that, I do think that as good as SM has been for the Bills, he does have a history of not using some players he should and using players he should not, many many fans see this, you may as well, I think in this specific case SM is being overly ridged in his own process and falling into the above stated. It is hard to see a guy who has shown himself to be productive not be used. 

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree completely.  None of us know if Williams would make a difference but all of us know Gore, Perry, and McKenzie are not making a difference. 

Mckenzie has certainly made a difference 

On 12/8/2019 at 7:56 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I know people are joking about this as ridiculous, but if Daboll isn't utilizing McKenzie or Foster with those motion sweep plays consistently the way he has all season, Duke needs to be active.

Allen needs a big bodied receiver who can actually catch. Knox could be that guy in the future, but he's unreliable now.

Just activate him already so we have a WR who can make contested catches.

This is how I feel about it.  I am flabbergasted that they ran 0 jet sweeps in this game.  I seen one play where they faked one.  This play worked well for us and we haven't used it in weeks really.  If we aren't going to use it then bring in the Duke.  He isn't a star but he is that thing the offense doesn't have.  The thing that brings a little versatility.  We don't need Foster AND McKenzie both active.  They are essentially the same player.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:17 PM, YoloinOhio said:

So what about special teams.  He just needs to be on the field.  Our punter only punts it like 30 yards and out of bounds anyhow.  Even if he does boot it, I doubt one position on our special teams is going to be the difference.  He can however make a difference on a play or two in the offense.  Sometimes that's all it takes.  McKenzie and Foster made what difference?

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

My point is that I do not believe that we lost the game just because Duke Williams was inactive.

The point is having a receiver who catches passes even when contested would certainly improve the odds of winning, don’t ya think? And being that DW is the only guy on the team that fits that role your statement makes no sense, 

Go Bills!!!