Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

On 12/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, JoPoy88 said:

because he’s not an NFL caliber receiver. No need to mention what is obvious to everyone (besides you.)

Zay jones fan here...

On 12/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, Dopey said:

Bingo to the part in bold. Dude, wrs should be able to separate and get open. Why would you prefer to throw contested pass vs a pass to an open wr? Why? The whole point of throwing a pass is NOT to throw to a guy who's not open. We had a couple of wide open receivers missed and too many dropped balls from OPEN receivers. You think contested throws are a better option?

It’s a red herring, look at his TD catch, in limited space he gets separation and scores, try paying attention.  

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s a red herring, look at his TD catch, in limited space he gets separation and scores, try paying attention.  

This response doesn't make sense...Its not a red herring, and you are using a single play to establish he does, in fact, consistently get open, which he does not. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm sorry, what? I mean, what? 

Are you having difficulty counting the snaps for Dimarco and Smith?  Williams possesses traits otherwise missing in our WRs.  Not having him active (the point of this thread) has hurt the team. Meanwhile DiMarco and Lee continue to be active.  What do they contribute?

That better?

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Are you having difficulty counting the snaps for Dimarco and Smith?  Williams possesses traits otherwise missing in our WRs.  Not having him active (the point of this thread) has hurt the team. Meanwhile DiMarco and Lee continue to be active.  What do they contribute?

That better?

Annnnnd how does this correlate to two losses?????

On 12/8/2019 at 8:24 PM, Dopey said:

4 catches for 29 yds in 50 snaps vs Tennessee.

68 snaps over 2 more games for 2 more catches and 29 yds. He didn't get open enough when he got the chance. We're not throwing contested balls when others get open on a more regular basis. 6 catches in 118 snaps. He got his chance. He's an injury fill in right now.

You forgot the game winning TD thing that happened against Tennessee. I think McKenzie has had his chance. I think Foster has had his chance. Do you agree with that? Are you happy with the production we get from those two? I’m not. Again, I’m sure you notice that we are loaded with little guys and fast guys. Those players aren’t producing. Let’s mix in Duke and see if he can catch us another game winning touchdown. Seems logical and rational to say it’s time we get him in there again. Please don’t try to tell me he doesn’t get open, neither does Foster and neither does McKenzie consistently.

14 hours ago, GregPersons said:

I singled out Kroft because he's done absolutely nothing as our TE1, in 5 games played. Duke is a WR but physically he has the size to play as a pass-catching TE. I'm advocating for the creative genius Daboll to creatively look at his roster and see if we can upgrade the TE position from within. McKenzie's use as a gadget WR is different enough from Duke that I'd prefer to keep him active... he, too, has done very little, though not as little as Kroft! 

I think the offense could open up quite a bit with Duke & Knox as the receiving TEs. Lee Smith for blocking and taking penalties.

2 WR, 2 TE - Brown, Beasley, Duke, Knox 

3 WR 1 TE - Brown, Beasley, Foster/McKenzie, Knox/Duke/Smith

If you want to talk about nothing at tight end, I give you lee Smith. If it’s blocking they need add a the swing tackle.

I’m not sure why they have 4 corners + 5 safeties and 5 LB active either. Seems like 4 of each would be just fine. 

could even argue for Hyde or McKenzie to to KRPR, since Roberts can’t seem to do anything for the offense anyway. 

Also Perry is the fastest RB on the team by a lot. What is it about him that makes him so useless to an offense that they rather attempt outside runs with a guy getting 3.6 ypc and falling. 

Gore and the smurfs just aren’t getting it done vs good defenses. 

Not saying any of these are the solution, but can a guy turn the corner from the backfield or make a contested catch once in a while? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Annnnnd how does this correlate to two losses?????

Here is what I said:

McDermott's intractability with the roster has potentially cost us 2 games this year. 

You no comprende potentially?

Gore/Yeldon being our only RB options went a long way to costing us the NE game. Chew on that one for a while.

14 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Duke is literally the same size as foster just 20 pounds heavier. 
I have mentioned before people keep saying Kroft has done nothing. Well of course not he had one target in the raven game and played like 20 snaps. Knox is the pass catching TE as far as the playbook goes. He’s the only one schemed in the playbook for passing routes. Kroft can’t do anything if they don’t throw him the ball. You know what he can do? Run out 5-8 yards and catch passes all day long if they actually throw it. He can also body a defender in the end zone if they throw it. 
If they had any interest in upgrading the passing game via tight end they have 2 options they don’t even try to use. Sweeney showed a little flash for making catches and Kroft can. They just don’t try. Or Allen doesn’t look. I keep defending Kroft and I’m not even a big fan of his, I just can’t believe he’s become a whipping boy around here who “does nothing” when they don’t even throw him the ball. If you are looking for production from tight ends and what Knox gives isn’t enough look not further then Daboll and Allen. Guys are missed open short all the time. Allen is fixated on 15-30 yard completions a lot. Singletary for example could catch passes all day from the backfield he’s open a ton and Allen never even considers looking that way unless it’s a designed play. Cheer for duke as we all should, but stop hating on Kroft over make believe “does nothing”

You would absolutely have to be a HUGE fan Kroft's to claim he can do the things you see bolded above.

He has caught 8 passes in 2 years.  You would have to pour over his only productive season out of five--2 years ago to even claim that he can "catch 5-8 yard passes all day long" or "can body a defender in the end zone of they throw it" (a guy who has 8 career TDs).

Is that how you came to your conclusion?  You went over his game film form 2 years ago?  Help us out here.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Here is what I said:

You no comprende potentially?

Gore/Yeldon being our only RB options went a long way to costing us the NE game. Chew on that one for a while.

You are being super condescending as if you have just dropped this knowledge bomb that makes your original claim abundantly obvious.  Not only have you not done that, your claim is laughably untrue. Not having an extra 4th string RB did not cost us the Pats game. Nor did not playing a street free agent WR.  I think suggesting that to any serious person/coach/analysts would get you laughed out of the room. 

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You are being super condescending as if you have just dropped this knowledge bomb that makes your original claim abundantly obvious.  Not only have you not done that, your claim is laughably untrue. Not having an extra 4th string RB did not cost us the Pats game. Nor did not playing a street free agent WR.  I think suggesting that to any serious person/coach/analysts would get you laughed out of the room. 

Read your first response to me and tell me who is being condescending. 

The extra RB I'm referring to is LeSean McCoy.  Maybe you've heard of him?  He was cut so that Yeldon could be retained.   Williams does indeed possess traits otherwise missing in our WRs.  

You think McDermott can do no wrong. I get that, you're a fanboi. There, now I'm being condescending.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Read your first response to me and tell me who is being condescending. 

The extra RB I'm referring to is LeSean McCoy.  Maybe you've heard of him?  He was cut so that Yeldon could be retained.   Williams does indeed possess traits otherwise missing in our WRs.  

You think McDermott can do no wrong. I get that, you're a fanboi. There, now I'm being condescending.

LeSean wasn't let go to make room for Yeldon. He was cut because he is a feature back and we wanted to give the reps to Singletary.  Coaching is about managing personalities. You take a guy like McCoy and give him 5 carries a game and you are creating a toxic influence in the locker room. 

Williams is big, that is true, but nothing about his performance is game changing. 

McDermott has done lots wrong. But to say that he is "intractable," without an ounce of evidence (and I am not exaggerating when I say no evidence), and say that it has cost us at least two games, is nothing short of belligerently ignorant. 

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You would absolutely have to be a HUGE fan Kroft's to claim he can do the things you see bolded above.

He has caught 8 passes in 2 years.  You would have to pour over his only productive season out of five--2 years ago to even claim that he can "catch 5-8 yard passes all day long" or "can body a defender in the end zone of they throw it" (a guy who has 8 career TDs).

Is that how you came to your conclusion?  You went over his game film form 2 years ago?  Help us out here.

Guy caught 60 passes his one season in Cinci where he was used due to their injuries. Can’t dog him out that he had to play behind Eifert and Uzomah or however it’s spelled. 
60. Our wide receivers barely catch 60 balls in a season. 

Sooooooooo the point I was making was people saying Kroft has done nothing here in buffalo, yet nobody says why? Is he too slow after the injuries and can’t get open? Is he not running routes? I’m not a huge fan of his, I’m just not going to jump on the bandwagon of “he’s done nothing” with zero evidence of why he’s done nothing. One poster says something and it becomes gospel around here. One guy becomes a whipping boy and has to be ran out of town. That is just ignorant of people on here. People blame him as if it’s his fault they don’t throw, or that his contract was too big when he has a season under his belt with more production than we’ve seen from a tight end in a very long time. Please if you want to bash the guy give some examples of him not being able to beat coverage or catch a pass? People are seriously suggesting a 220 pound receiver with like 6 career catches play tight end. I appreciate your sarcasm of my reviewing of game film lol but no I just happened to pick him up on my fantasy team that year and watched him play occasionally on the Sunday ticket. Crazy to think Andy Dalton could check down to Kroft for easy safe short completions but here he can’t even get open at all. I don’t do the film reviews of our games but I’d love for one of the better educated guys on here who do the reviews to see if Kroft is never open, or never running routes. If I was to be a betting man I would wager on his routes Allen isn’t looking his direction ever. 

Edited by Rc2catch

On 12/8/2019 at 7:12 PM, tannins said:

Any mentions in media or by the coaching staff why Duke Williams isn’t on the 53 msn roster? 

This is the million dollar question. I'm don't know why John Murphy think you have to sit a different WR in order for Duke to be active. I say sit Lee Smith/Tyler Kroft. Both seem to serve same purpose except for the penalties. 

On 12/8/2019 at 9:21 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have a feeling that after today, we will see Duke activated next week. Foster hasn’t done enough as a receiver, and isn’t worth much in the red zone.

Why do Foster have to sit? Deactivate Lee Smith

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, the skycap said:

This is the million dollar question. I'm don't know why John Murphy think you have to sit a different WR in order for Duke to be active. I say sit Lee Smith/Tyler Kroft. Both seem to serve same purpose except for the penalties. 

It’s not a bad point. If lee smith is only going to get 3 snaps why is he active? I know you want depth in case of an injury but you should be able to game plan around that. 

36 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

LeSean wasn't let go to make room for Yeldon. He was cut because he is a feature back and we wanted to give the reps to Singletary.  Coaching is about managing personalities. You take a guy like McCoy and give him 5 carries a game and you are creating a toxic influence in the locker room. 

Williams is big, that is true, but nothing about his performance is game changing. 

McDermott has done lots wrong. But to say that he is "intractable," without an ounce of evidence (and I am not exaggerating when I say no evidence), and say that it has cost us at least two games, is nothing short of belligerently ignorant. 

So, you're saying McCoy is toxic in KC?  It was a mistake, plain and simple.

Back to the topic at hand.  Williams can contribute in ways that our other receivers cannot.

What contributions were made by DiMarco to the offensive effort on Sunday?

What contributions were made by Smith to the offensive effort on Sunday?

Pick one of those two unnecessary pieces and sit them; activate Williams.  Does it make a difference? Nobody knows, that chance is gone.  Could it have made a difference? Potentially, yes.

If you cannot agree with this then we don't really have anything to discuss.

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, you're saying McCoy is toxic in KC?  It was a mistake, plain and simple.

Back to the topic at hand.  Williams can contribute in ways that our other receivers cannot.

What contributions were made by DiMarco to the offensive effort on Sunday?

What contributions were made by Smith to the offensive effort on Sunday?

Pick one of those two unnecessary pieces and sit them; activate Williams.  Does it make a difference? Nobody knows, that chance is gone.  Could it have made a difference? Potentially, yes.

If you cannot agree with this then we don't really have anything to discuss.

On McCoy: 

(1) McCoy is the lead back

(2) Its a different situation. McCoy lost snaps after a trade; it is entirely different if you are demoted within the building

(3) McDermott is in the locker room, you are not. 

(4) You are literally the first person I have heard suggest it was a mistake. This is a wild take. 

(5) McCoy is not a change of pace back. He replicates Singletary. Gore is a bruiser. 

On Williams:

(1) He doesn't get seperation, and with Josh being as cautious as he has been there is zero reason to think that he will throw to the guy with a DB draped over him. 

(2) DiMarco is the special teams captain. Williams doesn't play special teams. 

(3) All of that aside, would have made a difference? Maybe. There isn't any evidence to suggest it would, but sure, anything is possible.  Point is: at the end of the day suggesting McDermotts handling of the roster cost this team two games is a silly comment, which I, for the life of me, cannot understand why or how you are still defending. 

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

On McCoy: 

(1) McCoy is the lead back

(2) Its a different situation. McCoy lost snaps after a trade; it is entirely different if you are demoted within the building

(3) McDermott is in the locker room, you are not. 

(4) You are literally the first person I have heard suggest it was a mistake. This is a wild take. 

(5) McCoy is not a change of pace back. He replicates Singletary. Gore is a bruiser. 

On Williams:

(1) He doesn't get seperation, and with Josh being as cautious as he has been there is zero reason to think that he will throw to the guy with a DB draped over him. 

(2) DiMarco is the special teams captain. Williams doesn't play special teams. 

(3) All of that aside, would have made a difference? Maybe. There isn't any evidence to suggest it would, but sure, anything is possible.  Point is: at the end of the day suggesting McDermotts handling of the roster cost this team two games is a silly comment, which I, for the life of me, cannot understand why or how you are still defending. 

DiMarco is the special teams Capt. That explains why it sucks so much.