Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

15 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I respect Joe B but that is stupid take. Duke would never be on the special teams anyway. And besides what does it matter currently, our kick return game is garbage. In addition, he "doesn't strain the defense"?  yeah except when he caught that TD in Tennessee? and the entire point of Duke is he DOESNT NEED Separation to be effective. He can catch contested balls. Good grief, its like the poor guy has been blacklisted with the team and its "company line" media.

yet we were starting Kelvin Benjamin last year who is even slower and has hands of stone   There is more to it than this explanation

I'm just going to go in the record ... Duke needs to be activated. Kind of an obvious no brainier . Instead this offense and coaching staff like to see Josh bomb it down the field 40 yards in the wind on 3rd and short. Does anyone remember Eric moulds? Quick slants . 

8 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

I'm just going to go in the record ... Duke needs to be activated. Kind of an obvious no brainier . Instead this offense and coaching staff like to see Josh bomb it down the field 40 yards in the wind on 3rd and short. Does anyone remember Eric moulds? Quick slants . 

Duke is not Moulds.

• Like (+1) 1

When we win not much is said about Duke being inactive. Today we lost and I think he could have made a difference. My question is rhetorical but what element does McKenzie bring to the table that we don’t already have out there? It’s his speed. We have enough speed and quickness. What we don’t have is a big bodied WR who can catch. We have guys that can do what McKenzie does but we don’t have guys that can do what Duke does. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I respect Joe B but that is stupid take. Duke would never be on the special teams anyway. And besides what does it matter currently, our kick return game is garbage. In addition, he "doesn't strain the defense"?  yeah except when he caught that TD in Tennessee? and the entire point of Duke is he DOESNT NEED Separation to be effective. He can catch contested balls. Good grief, its like the poor guy has been blacklisted with the team and its "company line" media.

Bingo to the part in bold. Dude, wrs should be able to separate and get open. Why would you prefer to throw contested pass vs a pass to an open wr? Why? The whole point of throwing a pass is NOT to throw to a guy who's not open. We had a couple of wide open receivers missed and too many dropped balls from OPEN receivers. You think contested throws are a better option?

2 minutes ago, SJDK said:

When we win not much is said about Duke being inactive. Today we lost and I think he could have made a difference. My question is rhetorical but what element does McKenzie bring to the table that we don’t already have out there? It’s his speed. We have enough speed and quickness. What we don’t have is a big bodied WR who can catch. We have guys that can do what McKenzie does but we don’t have guys that can do what Duke does. 

This^ I think the Duke love around here is crazy. Whenever we talk about needing a big WR, Duke is mentioned like we have Randy Moss on the practice squad or something. I’m trusting the coaches aren’t seeing much from him to make them believe he can contribute. However, what has Foster or McKenzie contributed ? Even if Duke doesn’t shine in practice, it’s clear the other two guys aren’t very useful, so why not give the big WR more of an opportunity? 

3 minutes ago, SJDK said:

He probably is the best on our team at having to catch contested balls cuz he's not open. You're right.  Don't think coach likes throws to wrs who aren't open. I know I don't.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Just now, Dopey said:

He probably is the best on our team at having to catch contested balls cuz he's not open. You're right.  Don't think coach likes throws to wrs who aren't open. I know I don't.

He got open enough against Tennessee 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SJDK said:

He got open enough against Tennessee 

4 catches for 29 yds in 50 snaps vs Tennessee.

68 snaps over 2 more games for 2 more catches and 29 yds. He didn't get open enough when he got the chance. We're not throwing contested balls when others get open on a more regular basis. 6 catches in 118 snaps. He got his chance. He's an injury fill in right now.

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

This I believe is the same reason for the bias vs Duke. McD insanely stuck with Peterman just like he insanely stuck with useless crazy Zay Jones. These coaches never like to admit a mistake and TBH most of them are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Add to this some anti CFL bias and Duke is the irrational odd man out, week after week. 

I agree 100%

Weird that McKenzie wasn't even a draft pick for us.  McD, Daboll and the WR's coach must have their reasons for keeping Duke inactive but it sure seems like it needs a harder look.  It's not like we are lighting up the scoreboard, and it makes sense to try a big receiver package w Foster, Duke and some TE's.  

37 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Bingo to the part in bold. Dude, wrs should be able to separate and get open. Why would you prefer to throw contested pass vs a pass to an open wr? Why? The whole point of throwing a pass is NOT to throw to a guy who's not open. We had a couple of wide open receivers missed and too many dropped balls from OPEN receivers. You think contested throws are a better option?

this exactly. Activating a guy that can’t get open to throw 50/50 balls to all day seems like not a very realistic formula for sustained offensive success. Yet here we are. Every week. The same people. (These people who, btw, do not see Duke in practice, as the coaches do, who are making the (likely) wise decision to park his butt on the inactive list.)

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Totally agree. How does he  not offer anything different than McKenzie when he's got six inches on him? And Foster isn't doing anything anyway. Awful take.

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

If only the coaching staff knew as much as the fans when it comes to Duke Williams.  ?

Foster has 3 catches on the season, it’s not hard to top that. Not sure what’s going on in practice but he is pretty much useless on the field.