A Few Thoughts about the Ravens Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Daboll runs an offense similar to the rest of the league.  The passing plays were well called, but poorly executed.  If Allen is accurate on 3 of his passes and Knox, Singletary, Brown, and Beasley all pull in one of their throws, we are talking about Daboll the genius. 

Daboll made adjustments when he realized Allen didn't have it and we went back to the rushing game. 

Show me all the drives where we stalled because the play called was bad vs bad throws or drops.  I promise you there aren't that many.

Allen needs to hit on at least one of those deep throws or he needs to not be a starting quarterback.  He will tell you all day he needs to make those throws

The Ravens have a good defense and two of the sacks came from Allen holding onto the ball for an eternity.  They sent a lot of zero blitzes that I can't fault the offensive line for breaking down against.  Allen has to see it and get it out quick.  Allen had just as many plays where he had a lot of time to throw and the running game was sound.  I think the offensive line did okay for the team they played, minus a few plays here or there (Knox and Ford whiffs)

Wow!

I guess we saw a different game then. Too many times defenders got through untouched.

I don't care how good the Ravens defense is, that kind of play by the O-Line is inexcusable.

Yes, Allen did hold onto the ball too long a few times, but I cannot put this all on him.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Just like to add that the Bills two minute offense continues to remain tragically inept...1st and 10 on the 18 with two minutes to go and the bills only manage 2 yards is beyond egregious...if we can somehow figure that out, along with the deep ball miscues, I think we could finally become an elite team...

and the first and goal from the 1/2 yd line was tragically screwed up. just do the damn sneak---not a slow developing run off tackle...and then throws.we were lucky to get the points

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If you can't ask your QB to throw passes 30 yards down field, you need  to find a new QB.

It was windy, I didn't see Lamar Jackson having his great game as usual. Did you see Jackson completing 30 yard passes downfield?  Besides most QB's with a strong arm tend to overpower early throws. I can't tell you how many times I've seen QBs do this same thing...even Brady does this.

My point was what worked for the offense in the last three game was to get that run game going and the QB with short quick throws to get him settled in and gaining confidence.

Singletary finished the game with a 5.2 yard per carry average. How do you not run him more?  Beasley and Singletary should have been targeted with shorter passes in the beginning of the game.

From my view the Bills OC went away from what worked the previous three weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

It was windy, I didn't see Lamar Jackson having his great game as usual. Did you see Jackson completing 30 yard passes downfield?  Besides most QB's with a strong arm tend to overpower early throws. I can't tell you how many times I've seen QBs do this same thing...even Brady does this.

My point was what worked for the offense in the last three game was to get that run game going and the QB with short quick throws to get him settled in and gaining confidence.

Singletary finished the game with a 5.2 yard per carry average. How do you not run him more?  Beasley and Singletary should have been targeted with shorter passes in the beginning of the game.

From my view the Bills OC went away from what worked the previous three weeks. 

I can’t stand Lamar so it’s hard to admit this.  His deep balls downfield at least hit his players in the hand.  

The TE who was wide open was a completion.  

So yes, his throws were better 

16 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Wow!

I guess we saw a different game then. Too many times defenders got through untouched.

I don't care how good the Ravens defense is, that kind of play by the O-Line is inexcusable.

Yes, Allen did hold onto the ball too long a few times, but I cannot put this all on him.

I just can’t say they are even in the top 3 for reasons we lost today.  I’m not saying they were great.  They were as expected for me 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I can’t stand Lamar so it’s hard to admit this.  His deep balls downfield at least hit his players in the hand.  

I just can’t say they are even in the top 3 for reasons we lost today.  I’m not saying they were great.  They were as expected for me 

So then our O-Line really sucks?

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

Brown hasn’t done much in the past two games....

Is he in a slump?

Is he getting tighter coverage?

Has Josh moved to Beasley as his “go to” guy?

Something else?

He’s always had an up and down nature. It was my worry with him. When riding the crest of the wave he’s among the better out there, but is he that guy 16 (or day i say 20) weeks? 

curious to see how he rebounds or if he’s in a rut 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

With all the pressure, how about an RB screen or 2? 

Allen did not have a great game but I'd be curious to review Dawkins' play. Lots of blind side pressure today. Also a fair amount up the middle. Josh was getting rushed a lot. 

We tried a few quick passes to the outside and got blown up immediately

Allen was battered and bruised all game. Looked like Balt was bringing the house every play and still had our receivers locked. Allen looked like he was in pain early on. 

With the exception of the deep ball--which we all can plainly see is overthrown every time--Allen had a good game, IMO, given the situation. 

I didn't see many open receivers. Lots of drops. We lack a top flight receiver. 

I just trust this defense. That secondary is stellar. 

Baltimore is a damn good team and we hung around and could've beaten them.

Get that deep ball rolling, and stop dropping balls, and we can win a playoff game or two. 

• Like (+1) 1

Everytime Allan was under center I was telling my wife this will not work . We need to stay in shotgun formation . I think the whole game we had one positive run play from under center . It is very clear that Allan does much better from shotgun . Even our running backs do better from there . 

• Like (+1) 1

1. Oline played a bad game

2. Daboll needs to coach up Allen on blitz reads and give him a few more options

3. Frazier should watch some tape of Ravens D and blitz more. I have no issue with his game plan today. But against a rookie next week and a statuesque Brady, they need to keep bringing the blitz.

4. I don't agree with three WR set as the primary offensive grouping. I've posted before, we should be in two TE, two WR, single back most of the game. 

5. Need to use Beasley earlier and more often

With all that said, I think Bills win out but still end up the 5 seed and have a rematch with Tennessee.

31 minutes ago, Easterner said:

Anybody know who the main culprit on the O Line was today, or was it more than 1. 

It was a systemic failure. They beat us up the middle and around the edges. Morse is just average. Ford is probably better at guard. The rest are average journeymen and it shows against superior defensive lines.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We tried a few quick passes to the outside and got blown up immediately

WR screens in the NFL don't work well. Most teams are too fast to the ball. RB screens run well slow down the pass rush. 

The bomb to Foster that was a 50-50 ball was frustrating to me. Forget the PI, Iif Foster goes for that ball with his hands up instead of trying to catch it in his gut, he will get the call or the ball. The team lacks a guy who can high point challenge for a ball. Frustrating. 

Edited by Sundancer

54 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Virgil good write up and I agree w most of your points.

However, the Bills inability to find a solution for the pressure and blitzes was definitely the biggest reason for the L today.  Whether you

want to blame, O-line, Allen, Daboll or WRs, they had no answer at the end of the game. Allen was getting sacked or throwing up prayers.

Yes they were in position to tie the game, but the entire last drive was penalty yards.  The O could not hold off the rush to make a play in the passing game

• Like (+1) 1

Good post @Virgil! I thought you were gonna be full negative Nancy, but this is a lot of fair takes.

Here's my pushback on Allen's first half (and it is in no way absolving him of blame):

Is there not a tangible difference how our offense plays when we're running quick slants, crossers, and come backs that get Allen confidence and move the ball, versus what we saw in the first half that was primarily a vertical passing attack that relied on deep outs and posts? To me there is a clear difference between the two and I can't understand why we don't start with the quicker stuff, especially when the Oline is getting whipped. All that to say... Allen looked much better when we switched to our faster offense in the second half. Isn't that on Daboll, at least partly, for not starting that way? (also consider that Allen's handle on his deep ball is much better when he's got the confidence built from positive plays). Allen left a lot on the field no doubt, but my question is- whose to blame between the disparity in these two offensive approaches? Allen, or Daboll? Why can't we do what has consistently worked throughout the year? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

With all the pressure, how about an RB screen or 2? 

Allen did not have a great game but I'd be curious to review Dawkins' play. Lots of blind side pressure today. Also a fair amount up the middle. Josh was getting rushed a lot. 

It would be nice, but the Bills are absolutely awful at setting up/ selling the screen. Gets blown up routinely

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Good post @Virgil! I thought you were gonna be full negative Nancy, but this is a lot of fair takes.

Here's my pushback on Allen's first half (and it is in no way absolving him of blame):

Is there not a tangible difference how our offense plays when we're running quick slants, crossers, and come backs that get Allen confidence and move the ball, versus what we saw in the first half that was primarily a vertical passing attack that relied on deep outs and posts? To me there is a clear difference between the two and I can't understand why we don't start with the quicker stuff, especially when the Oline is getting whipped. All that to say... Allen looked much better when we switched to our faster offense in the second half. Isn't that on Daboll, at least partly, for not starting that way? (also consider that Allen's handle on his deep ball is much better when he's got the confidence built from positive plays). Allen left a lot on the field no doubt, but my question is- whose to blame between the disparity in these two offensive approaches? Allen, or Daboll? Why can't we do what has consistently worked throughout the year? 

I agree with you.  But when are are going to be able to start games without having to build up our starting quarterbacks confidence.  

He should have been ready to roll after his last three games.  I think that’s why I am so disappointed in how he came out of the gate.