The fake kneel down before the half

YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This isn't the history of now.  Yes, 2/3 lost today and the other was in a tough fight.  But they have won in the past by coaching to win, that is why I didn't have a problem with the final play of the first half.  As a side note, I would like to see McD adopt that type of mindset.  Don't take your foot off the gas pedal.

If "THAT's why? Lol ok" is a question to my presented concept, I suppose I should just consider myself enlightened.

You're welcome my child.

34 minutes ago, buffalonian said:

When an offense signals that they are going to kneel the ball at the end of a half or game, the defense understands that they should not hit the offensive linemen.  This is to avoid injury. The Ravens faking a kneel down was an incredibly cheap move because it undercut a league-wide understanding that a defense should take a passive stance when an opposing offense takes a knee to run out the clock. Harbaugh has no respect for the game for pulling that type of crap. 

I look at the same way if an offense hurried to the line to spike the ball, faked it and threw a pass. I get that some people don’t like what they did. That’s fine. I didn’t have an issue with it and quite frankly I won’t be convinced otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I look at the same way if an offense hurried to the line to spike the ball, faked it and threw a pass. I get that some people don’t like what they did. That’s fine. I didn’t have an issue with it and quite frankly I won’t be convinced otherwise.

Lol. As I explained above, it's totally different.....apples vs oranges. In the intentional spike situation, the defense has no idea that it's going to happen. IOW, they have to be ready, and should be ready, for a real play.

Buffalonian explained it perfectly. Not sure how anyone cannot understand this.

• Like (+1) 1

Its just not sportsman like. Its a Patriot move. When you go into kneel down formation, you are telling the D you are phoning it in on the play, so the D in same courtesy doesn't come flying in and try slamming the QB. Its the same going the other way, when D tries swatting snapped ball or plowing into center to create a turnover. Bad taste, but coaches can do whatever as it in fact isnt a written rule. I'd like to see one added. Unsportsmanlike should be called.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Honestly, I don’t care if they get blown up in the future taking a knee. What happens to them doesn’t matter to me. I didn’t have a problem with the play when it happened

Tbh I see it as an excuse any D can use if they choose to rush the QB on a kneeldown. “I can’t trust it’s a kneel down if teams are faking kneel downs”. Not just the ravens. 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tbh I see it as an excuse any D can use if they choose to rush the QB on a kneeldown. “I can’t trust it’s a kneel down if teams are faking kneel downs”. Not just the ravens. 

I didn't have a problem with it at the time. I was glad the Bills were disciplined and didn't over commit. That's not a surprise because they're really well coached.

You make an interesting point, though. It will be interesting to see if the Ravens get blown up in the victory formation in the future. What will their reaction be?

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. No idea what they were thinking. 

On the kneel down though I am with Yolo. When you line up in that formation the unwritten contract with the defense is "we won't hit you because you are not running a play." Once you muddy that water I think you make the kneel down a lot less safe moving forward. 

I think and emphasis on think....

They were debating going for it on 4th down and wanted to discuss it while still having time on the clock if they went for it and converted.  The Ravens had no timeouts so I think the thought was kickoff with 25 seconds and they will likely kneel it down or at the very least not have time to make anything happen.

I don't agree and thought a fg was a no brainer there but I imagine that was the line of thinking.

2 hours ago, section122 said:

I think and emphasis on think....

They were debating going for it on 4th down and wanted to discuss it while still having time on the clock if they went for it and converted.  The Ravens had no timeouts so I think the thought was kickoff with 25 seconds and they will likely kneel it down or at the very least not have time to make anything happen.

I don't agree and thought a fg was a no brainer there but I imagine that was the line of thinking.

But they never looked like going for it. They called the timeout then immediately trotted Hausch out. Was a bizarre situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Did not like that move by Harbaugh. By faking the kneel down you invite defenses to do start doing things like schiano’s buccaneers back in the day. 

Why are people upset?  It’s silly to be upset that an opposing team tried a trick play.  Your job as a defense is to take each play seriously for just this reason.  It’s the offenses job to fool the defense literally on their intentions every single play Of every single game.  

Pretty silly for people to be upset about it.  A kneel down is a play like any other and by no means does it require to actually kneel down.  If you can catch the opponent sleeping and surprise them and maybe score then good for you, do it.  

If we did this play successfully, everyone would be raving about instead of complaining

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

At the end of the game with the game in hand, i'd have an issue with it. In a 4 point game against a tough Defensive team and you can clinch the playoffs with a win? 

All is fair. They were trying to win the game at all costs. I'd be offended if they didn't feel like they needed to do that against us. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I love John  Harbaugh as well. Think he is the best coach in the league aside from Belichick. But it just felt unnecessary and silly.

This isn’t all directed at your reply, but others too.

My question is why is it an issue?   

I mean it’s literally the entire job of the offense to fool the defense on every single play.  That’s why you make sure your defense is alert and takes no plays off.  If the offenses sees a chance to get a big play and maybe get a score or get into scoring position in a tight game, then they should do it. 

The complaining on this by so many is comical to me.  If McD did this and we got an extra FG or a TD, and it was the difference in the game, everyone here would be crowning him COY.

This reminds me of when people complained in 2007 that the Pats were scoring too much.  You don’t like it, play better.  These are grown men being paid a gazillion dollars to play a game and for the purpose of winning games.  Fans get so sensitive as if it’s 8 year old kids playing out there.  

Bottom line:  Don’t take plays off and you got nothing to worry about.  Treat every play seriously. I mean this wasn’t a victory formation, the game was very much in question as it was only half time.  You better be ready for fake spikes, fake kneels, fake punts, etc.  

Really shocked at the complaining on this play.  Kudos to Harbaugh for trying to catch us sleeping and maybe steal a late score.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1