How about MVP Lamar Jackson today?

ToGoGo

12 minutes ago, Ravensfan0911 said:

Ravens fan here. 

I came here here because I was curious what opposing fans thought of Lamar jackson. I have to admit I’m a little surprised at the disrespect.

i understand the hype around Jackson is over blown but people who call him a one read “limited” QB don’t know football or haven’t watched him this year and are regurgitating old draft talk.

he wasn’t great today but he was playing a great defence on the road. He made some plays and his team beat a 9-3 playoff team on the road.

He’s a legit MVP candidate. He’s made plays with his arm and legs. If he’s not an mvp candidate who is??? Russell Wilson? Terrible game against the rams tonight. By many people’s logic on here he’s out of contention.... Watson ..... blown out by Denver at home..... mahomes? Maybe but he hasn’t played any better than Jackson this year. Too much stock is being put into 1 game. Show me an MVP who hasn’t had a bad game...

anyway my thoughts on the bills are they are a really good team and absolutely no one wants to play them in the playoffs. Great defense which will travel well in January. Josh Allen will work his way into being a top 10 QB before long

good game and hopefully we don’t see you again 

Right, Bills fans wouldn’t know anything about one read Greg Roman QBs lmao 

It was a good showing by our defense but he still quietly dropped 3 passing TDs and was really efficient. I like that we more or less took away his legs. That team is not all Lamar Jackson, which kind of makes them more terrifying. Judon is really turning into premier pass rusher, Justin Tucker is the best ever, they stole Marcus Peters who is better than Jalen Ramsey, etc.

Edited by Nelius

1 minute ago, Ravensfan0911 said:

Yes. Because Lamar happens to be a special athlete... what’s your point?

Hes a tremendous talent as a runner and a passer. You make it sound like a negative

Not at all. He is a particular talent as a runner. Maybe one of the best ever. But you confuse passing efficiency with talent. Efficiency, especially with a coordinator like Roman, is often more a product of scheme than individual QB talent. That’s all I’m saying.

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not at all. He is a particular talent as a runner. Maybe one of the best ever. But you confuse passing efficiency with talent. Efficiency, especially with a coordinator like Roman, is often more a product of scheme than individual QB talent. That’s all I’m saying.

We will agree to disagree - good luck the rest of the season 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ravensfan0911 said:

Ravens fan here. 

I came here here because I was curious what opposing fans thought of Lamar jackson. I have to admit I’m a little surprised at the disrespect.

i understand the hype around Jackson is over blown but people who call him a one read “limited” QB don’t know football or haven’t watched him this year and are regurgitating old draft talk.

he wasn’t great today but he was playing a great defence on the road. He made some plays and his team beat a 9-3 playoff team on the road.

He’s a legit MVP candidate. He’s made plays with his arm and legs. If he’s not an mvp candidate who is??? Russell Wilson? Terrible game against the rams tonight. By many people’s logic on here he’s out of contention.... Watson ..... blown out by Denver at home..... mahomes? Maybe but he hasn’t played any better than Jackson this year. Too much stock is being put into 1 game. Show me an MVP who hasn’t had a bad game...

anyway my thoughts on the bills are they are a really good team and absolutely no one wants to play them in the playoffs. Great defense which will travel well in January. Josh Allen will work his way into being a top 10 QB before long

Thanks for coming by.  I mostly agree with your post.  Jackson didn’t have a great game, but he was playing against maybe the best defense in the league, in a tough environment.  He’s very hard to defend and he’s still learning.

I thought the Ravens play calling was highly questionable at times.  They got fancy too often when they should have just fed Ingram and Edwards (who’s a beast, by the way).  One thing I noticed was that Ravens were almost totally shut down when they were in unfavorable down and distance; it’s critically important to hold them to 3 yds or less on first down—easier said than done, of course.

Ravens defense was tremendous; much better than I expected.  They are right up there with the best units in the league.  Also highly impressed with special teams; Roberts had nowhere to go.

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t see him showing progress in learning how to read defenses. I see a great scheme by the perfect OC playing to his strengths. He was average at best today. That’s not scary to me. 

Watching yesterday it looked to me like Allen was unprepared for the blitzes that Baltimore was sending his way.  I guess he is at his ceiling too.

It was just like watching a turbo charged version of Tyrod Taylor out there. Hes tough to defend the edge on when he is the fastest guy on the field. If you get a lead on them I don't think there is anyway he drops back and throws for a come behind win. That D is pretty good though, so they have a good thing going. I'd like to see them again in the playoffs and beat them when it counts. ?

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen calls his own protections and I'm thinking either he was getting confused by the Ravens blitzes and not making the right calls, or he was having trouble with his hot read (it was being taken away or he didn't know who it was).  That is something that will get better with experience.  The worst thing was the strip sack that gave you guys first down at our 24 yd line.  I wish Allen could have hung onto that one.

It has been a constant issue since Allen came into the lineup and I still believe his inability to do it in that pre-season game against the Browns where Greggo sent pressure every down was the reason for McDermott's ill fated decision to start Nathan Peterman last season. It has got better, I'm not saying there has been no improvement, but it remains an issue.

I don't put it all on Josh either. I had this debate with folks last night but the center has an important role to play too. We saw last season that Groy was no worse a physical player at center than Bodine but Bodine was better in terms of line calls and helped Josh more to that end. Part of the reason for signing Morse (who is Eric Wood like in that he is not a physical road grader of a center but can move and has a high football IQ) was to help Josh with the protections and identifying blitz pickup. I put some of this on Morse as well.... and to be honest if he isn't helping there I am not beyond questioning his role as our starting center, because physically Feliciano has outplayed him in that spot in his two games of spot duty (and Feliciano is less comfortable at guard than he is at center in my honest opinion).

They have to get it figured out. You can have the best offensive coordinator in the world and you can make better adjustments in playcalling than Brian Daboll did yesterday (too little, too late) but if your center and Quarterback cannot diagnose the defense pre-snap and work out when the blitz is coming and where it is likely to come from and then your Quarterback can't expose the blitz by getting the ball to his hot reads then it makes it really difficult to operate efficiently on offense.

Yesterday was the most stark it has been all season, but this has been an issue in other games too. A lot of people are putting too much of yesterday on the offensive line to my mind. There were only a couple of plays that watching live looked like complete blown assignments by offensive linemen. They looked for the most part like they were blocking the right guy and doing a respectable job doing it. There were guys running free that we hadn't identified and weren't picking up.

I do think it is an experience thing, and I am not piling on Josh for it.... if anything I expected more help for him from Morse than it would appear, at least to the naked eye, he is getting.

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Thanks for coming by.  I mostly agree with your post.  Jackson didn’t have a great game, but he was playing against maybe the best defense in the league, in a tough environment.  He’s very hard to defend and he’s still learning.

I thought the Ravens play calling was highly questionable at times.  They got fancy too often when they should have just fed Ingram and Edwards (who’s a beast, by the way).  One thing I noticed was that Ravens were almost totally shut down when they were in unfavorable down and distance; it’s critically important to hold them to 3 yds or less on first down—easier said than done, of course.

Ravens defense was tremendous; much better than I expected.  They are right up there with the best units in the league.  Also highly impressed with special teams; Roberts had nowhere to go.

And that is the key point for me too. I also agree with a lot of what our Ravens visitor said (though to me Russell Wilson is clearly the MVP even if he wasn't great last night) but the bolded was my point in the first page of this thread. When you force them into obvious passing 3rd and longs and the RPO and the traditional play-action game are off the table and you make Lamar beat you with the drop back passing game and ask him to read the entire field then he isn't quite there yet.

That is not to say he can't continue to improve. In fact the one thing that is obvious about Lamar Jackson is he works to improve and keeps improving. When I was evaluating Lamar coming out of college I thought the 2016 tape was that of a 5th round pick. His 2017 tape to me was low end NFL starter and I gave him a high 2nd round grade. But I was very clear that if he improved again at that rate he had franchise QB potential. He has taken another step, without doubt, since coming into the league. At some point he will hit a ceiling as everyone does, but for the time being he still looks like an improving QB. And the genius of Greg Roman is helping the Ravens to be dynamic on offense while that improvement happens in the background.

8 hours ago, Ravensfan0911 said:

Ravens fan here. 

If the scores had been flipped and Allen won with the same stat line as Jackson. The narrative amongst fans and in the media would be that he rode his defense to a win. 

but Jackson did it and he’s the darling right now..... so MVP I suppose. 

he should be in the discussion, but all week all I saw was the bills were gonna have to deal with this unstoppable force. I read ravens fans talking about Jackson romping all over buffalo because he did it to other solid d’s.... none of that happened. Half his freaking passing yds came on one busted play. Cripes. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

If the scores had been flipped and Allen won with the same stat line as Jackson. The narrative amongst fans and in the media would be that he rode his defense to a win. 

but Jackson did it and he’s the darling right now..... so MVP I suppose. 

he should be in the discussion, but all week all I saw was the bills were gonna have to deal with this unstoppable force. I read ravens fans talking about Jackson romping all over buffalo because he did it to other solid d’s.... none of that happened. Half his freaking passing yds came on one busted play. Cripes. 

You are talking to a HUGE TROLL who may never visit this board again.  Well maybe if the Bills have to face the Ravens in the playoffs

The Bills Defense contained Lamar. Whether they choose to believe it or not. 

1 blown coverage allowed him to pass for over 100 yards (139) and the team 118 TOTAL rushing yards and score a TD.

1 NON CALL by the refs of 12 man in the huddle gave them 7 points

LJ's 40 rushing yards is the 2nd lowest yardage gained of the season 11 for 40  3.64 ypc 

The 2nd fewest was against KC (46) where the Ravens Lost. 

His lowest * Rushing in a game was against Miami when they won 59-10.   When you can pass at will,  why run?? 

So many threads covering the game  I have to repost the above 

Lamar is not a God 

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

There’s a reason you run read option.

Because it's allowing them to have the best offense in the league lol.

This would be like criticizing a QB for throwing out of playaction so much when everyone should be using it statistically speaking.

10 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

i'm not angry that we lost, but the fact Dabboll had the entire game to make adjustments to the Ravens blitzes and did absolutely nothing

that is very worrying. I truly don't think he should be here next season. go get Jay Gruden and watch him turn Allen into a top 10 QB

This would absolutely be a home run.

Jay Gruden is a really really good offensive coordinator, light years better than Dumbell!

14 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

2 plays cost us the game today. The Hurst 61 yards for the TD and the Josh Allen fumble. We wasn’t a push over so that’s that

3 plays.  The missed 12 men call.

We bottled up Jackson all day long.  We're gonna beat these guys when we see them in the playoffs.