How about MVP Lamar Jackson today?

ToGoGo

Just now, InheritedBillsfan said:

Allen will be fine. It's sometimes difficult to keep perspective after an emotional loss. Trust me, I remember the Ravens/Bills game ( I was there in the stands at RW stadium )  back in '13 when Flacco tossed 5 INT's to the Bills defense and was doing his best impersonation of Ryan Leaf. After driving all the way to Orchard Park to see the defending Super Bowl champions get their butts whooped, I was ready to throw Flacco to the wolves. Along with the entire coaching staff, coordinators, and whoever else permitted the game to get out of hand.  And what made it worse were the crappy wings I had at Duff's on Orchard Park road after the game. The beers always colder and the wings are more crispy after a win. 

But I do think Allen will be fine. Put a decent line in front of him and give him another year to grow as a QB and he will most likely be better than we are seeing in 2019.

We put a lot of investment in our line since last year.  We were missing our best RT and playing a rookie in his spot.  We may need one more piece.

Allen calls his own protections and I'm thinking either he was getting confused by the Ravens blitzes and not making the right calls, or he was having trouble with his hot read (it was being taken away or he didn't know who it was).  That is something that will get better with experience.  The worst thing was the strip sack that gave you guys first down at our 24 yd line.  I wish Allen could have hung onto that one.

Where I think we need upgrade is at TE and WR.   We drafted a guy they are high on - he's the one who had that huge drop.  He was never given much chance to catch passes at Ole Miss.  He will make the high DOD catches and then drop the bunnies.  I don't know if that can be fixed.   We also signed Kroft in FA.  He missed training camp and the first 6 games or so, and he's been the Invisible Man since being activated.

22 minutes ago, InheritedBillsfan said:

Hey, don't insinuate all Raven's fans aren't showing class. :) 

I think what you're seeing is Buffalo fans ticked off that the Bills lost a close hard fought game, and doing a bit of undermining of Lamar. In response some Ravens -and- Bills fans are disagreeing with the negativity being spouted against Lamar. Because, most if not all of it simply is not true. 

I guess that's pretty good then, right? Leading the league in TD passes after 13 games and getting ready to break the NFL single season rushing record for quarterbacks.  Hey, if he doesn't get any better than this, I can't complain. As long as he is playing this way, he gives his team the best chance at winning. 

History hasn’t shown running quarterbacks win the big one. 
Has the rushing leader for QB’s ever won a SB? 

10 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

how the hell was he bad

it was a below average day for him but thats not bad by any means. he put up 24 points and 3 TD's and did enough to beat a 9-3 team on the road. 

Correct.  Jackson won.  That's not bad.

Kidz theze daze.

And hey, the Rams are roaring back after last week and knocking the Seasnakes down on their butts.  Lamar looked better than Wilson looking today.

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Jackson had a good game, nearly made a couple big mistakes but didn't.  But yes, the Bills defense did an excellent job keeping him from running all over them as he's done to most teams.  That's why the game came down to the final possession.

The D earned a win today.  Too bad the O couldn't hold up their end of the deal.   As good as the D played, the O played even worse.

i'm not angry that we lost, but the fact Dabboll had the entire game to make adjustments to the Ravens blitzes and did absolutely nothing

that is very worrying. I truly don't think he should be here next season. go get Jay Gruden and watch him turn Allen into a top 10 QB

20 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, he will not improve?  What leads you to say this?

Is it possible for Allen to improve? 

I don’t see him showing progress in learning how to read defenses. I see a great scheme by the perfect OC playing to his strengths. He was average at best today. That’s not scary to me. 

Just now, Penfield45 said:

i'm not angry that we lost, but the fact Dabboll had the entire game to make adjustments to the Ravens blitzes and did absolutely nothing

that is very worrying. I truly don't think he should be here next season. go get Jay Gruden and watch him turn Allen into a top 10 QB

I dunno....I have a hard time laying this on the coaches.  I saw an OL get whipped repeatedly.  And when they didn't, I saw Allen run out of clean pockets several times.  I saw Allen miss open receivers.  I saw dropped passes all over the field.  At some point the players have to execute.  You can't win a game from the sideline.

Just now, KD in CA said:

I dunno....I have a hard time laying this on the coaches.  I saw an OL get whipped repeatedly.  And when they didn't, I saw Allen run out of clean pockets several times.  I saw Allen miss open receivers.  I saw dropped passes all over the field.  At some point the players have to execute.  You can't win a game from the sideline.

Allen was terrible today I agree. Dabboll also called an abysmal game to be fair so it's both

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

History hasn’t shown running quarterbacks win the big one. 
Has the rushing leader for QB’s ever won a SB? 

Well Steve Young was a mobile quarterback who won three SuperBowls and Russell Wilson two.  I'll leave it to you to determine if they both led the league in rushing yards for a quarterback for each of the 5 SuperBowls that were won. 

However, given that Lamar is leading the league in passing touchdowns, I wouldn't consider him to be a running quarterback. Lamar is a passing -and- running quarterback. I would consider in excess 3,000 yards passing and over 30 passing TD's (what Lamar will end up with after 3 more games) to be acceptable passing numbers for a second year quarterback, but I guess you can't please or convince everyone. Depends on what agenda people have. 

Fortunately, history doesn't have much to do with the current or future success of dual threat quarterbacks.  Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lamar help his team win a Super Bowl.

36 minutes ago, stony said:

Idk Chan, he punched in TDs while we settled for FGs. I’ll say this though, our D was really good. Again. 

The punching in TD’s while we settled for field goals pretty much sums up the why I said he was less bad than Allen. But 2 of their scoring drives started on our side of the field, one started at their 49 and then there was the blown coverage big play TD. It’s certainly to his credit that he was able to take advantage of those favorable situations, but he did not move the ball consistently when he had to start a drive in his own territory. 

32 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

how the hell was he bad 

it was a below average day for him but thats not bad by any means. he put up 24 points and 3 TD's and did enough to beat a 9-3 team on the road. 

See above. He was not able to move his offense on a consistent basis. It just so happens that today our guy couldn’t either. 

Edited by Chandemonium

13 minutes ago, InheritedBillsfan said:

Well Steve Young was a mobile quarterback who won three SuperBowls and Russell Wilson two.  I'll leave it to you to determine if they both led the league in rushing yards for a quarterback for each of the 5 SuperBowls that were won. 

However, given that Lamar is leading the league in passing touchdowns, I wouldn't consider him to be a running quarterback. Lamar is a passing -and- running quarterback. I would consider in excess 3,000 yards passing and over 30 passing TD's (what Lamar will end up with after 3 more games) to be acceptable passing numbers for a second year quarterback, but I guess you can't please or convince everyone. Depends on what agenda people have. 

Fortunately, history doesn't have much to do with the current or future success of dual threat quarterbacks.  Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lamar help his team win a Super Bowl.

You are welcome to your opinion. The QB I watched today wouldn’t win a SB. 
Jackson is no where near a Steve Young or Russell Wilson. He reminds me almost exactly like Mike Vick. I watched a ton of Vick, and that’s who Jackson’s play resembles at this point.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Jackson is superlative at executing a fake handoff to Ingram.   If the defense gets sucked in, Jackson gets big yardage on the run.  That's why gap discipline is so important.  A lot of their pass completions happen because defenses have to pay so much attention to the dual run threat.  I thought Buffalo did a good job on defense today except for the one breakdown on Hurst's touchdown catch and run.  One other Baltimore touchdown happened when Buffalo gave them a short field on the turnover.

I thought early on Buffalo's offense had some issues with nerves.  I kept wondering why Daboll was dialing up deep passes on a windy day with a nervous QB.  All game I wondered why so many interior runs, since that's where the strength of Baltimore's defensive front lies.  My other primary observation is that Allen and the Bills still have work to do dealing with blitzes.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, InheritedBillsfan said:

Hey, don't insinuate all Raven's fans aren't showing class. :) 

I think what you're seeing is Buffalo fans ticked off that the Bills lost a close hard fought game, and doing a bit of undermining of Lamar. In response some Ravens -and- Bills fans are disagreeing with the negativity being spouted against Lamar. Because, most if not all of it simply is not true. 

I was referring to the Ravens Trolls that were here talking smack.   

had they showed class I wouldn’t have made my post.  

Lamar played good but the God image being portrayed was a bit tarnished IMO.  

54 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

You insulted me because I insulted the "game of football"? 

I didn't mean to make fun of your favorite QB. You clearly watch all his games and root for him so you would know better than I do. I apologize for having the gall for suggesting a blueprint to stop him. From now on, I will message you directly for permission. 

You're up in arms over Lamar Jackson being "overrated" for the sake of players who are being overlooked and "underrated" because of it?

Now he's my favorite QB? Smh

No need to get all silly because you oddly have it out for a player who the Bills don't have to face twice each year.

3 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I'm saying he is not an MVP. I'm saying that he is a great read-option QB on a great winning organization and nothing more. 

I agree with you about him being a great read-option QB. The second half IMO has absolutely nothing to do with his success and consideration for being the MVP. 

He's also a good passer...good, not great. I don't know his stats and I don't need to. I've seen him play several times and he puts the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be. He limits mistakes both in running and passing.

Anyway blah blah blah those are some of my thoughts.

BTW, we don't know if he's MVP yet or not. One thing everyone knows is that he is an MVP candidate, that's not opinion just facts.

I'd put Wilson ahead of him and then...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it's quite as simple as that, but the Josh Allen strip sack in the red zone was big.  And of course the Hurst TD made it harder for us to come back.

They were both big plays because the Ravens could not put together long drives against us and those 2 plays gave the Ravens easy TD's. That Hurst TD represented 61 of the 145 yards lamar had passing for the game (42%)

12 minutes ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

I agree with you about him being a great read-option QB. The second half IMO has absolutely nothing to do with his success and consideration for being the MVP. 

He's also a good passer...good, not great. I don't know his stats and I don't need to. I've seen him play several times and he puts the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be. He limits mistakes both in running and passing.

Anyway blah blah blah those are some of my thoughts.

BTW, we don't know if he's MVP yet or not. One thing everyone knows is that he is an MVP candidate, that's not opinion just facts.

I'd put Wilson ahead of him and then...

That's not true. 

They built a brilliant offense around his strengths, with top notch blocking and great execution. They have a consistent history of winning and expect to win. It's the same reason the Steelers are in the running for a wild card spot without Big Ben. That's what winning organizations do. Lamar is not a one man show on offense. That O-line is stellar. The tight ends do their job and Ingram is a tough RB. They just play Raven football with the same attitude that's been there since Ray Lewis. 

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The book on him is out? He threw 3 TDs and didn’t look nearly as rattled or erratic as Allen. So many horrible takes on Lamar. He’s having a great season.

He's having a great season, wasn't so great today but did enough to get a road win against a solid defense.

Neither qb played great today.

Ravens fan here. 

I came here here because I was curious what opposing fans thought of Lamar jackson. I have to admit I’m a little surprised at the disrespect.

i understand the hype around Jackson is over blown but people who call him a one read “limited” QB don’t know football or haven’t watched him this year and are regurgitating old draft talk.

he wasn’t great today but he was playing a great defence on the road. He made some plays and his team beat a 9-3 playoff team on the road.

He’s a legit MVP candidate. He’s made plays with his arm and legs. If he’s not an mvp candidate who is??? Russell Wilson? Terrible game against the rams tonight. By many people’s logic on here he’s out of contention.... Watson ..... blown out by Denver at home..... mahomes? Maybe but he hasn’t played any better than Jackson this year. Too much stock is being put into 1 game. Show me an MVP who hasn’t had a bad game...

anyway my thoughts on the bills are they are a really good team and absolutely no one wants to play them in the playoffs. Great defense which will travel well in January. Josh Allen will work his way into being a top 10 QB before long

good game and hopefully we don’t see you again 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills D did a good job with one coverage breakdown where the rarest of things happened - there was a communication failure between Hyde and Poyer which almost never happens. 

Even with the busted coverage how in the heck did they let a 270 lb tight end run 60 yards untouched into the end zone? Alright guys, you busted the coverage but at least run him down and tackle him!

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib