Josh Allen - week FOURTEEN report card

rayray808

C- as he kept us in the game with field goal drives yet he hurt us with taking sacks or missing on some throws. Granted at times he was a victim of drops and bad blocking. He's second worse game of the season (New England still the top because of the INTs). I was a little upset we didn't see many designed runs to help maybe prevent the Ravens from blitzing so much and open up the middle of the field. 

The good thing about playing the best (or near best) teams is that you are stressed to the max. That is what you saw yesterday, and Josh doesn't get a pass because of this. He needs to learn and continue to develop. I give him a D+. Having said that the offensive coaching staff, the pass protection and the 10 thumbed receivers who can't get open enough also get very poor grades.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think on that play Peters got his knee in there before the ball got to McKenzie and deflected it.

it was a really nice throw and I thought the replay showed it got into this chest. tough catch, but I thought he needed to haul it in.

allen wasn't good, pass catchers weren't good, line wasn't good.... yuck.

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

it was a really nice throw and I thought the replay showed it got into this chest. tough catch, but I thought he needed to haul it in.

allen wasn't good, pass catchers weren't good, line wasn't good.... yuck.

It did get into him but on a deflection right before it got there. I don't think he had time to adjust his hands. His hands were just to the left of him as he was falling to catch it on its original flight and the ball was deflected by Peters knee (as he fell in front of him) inches away from the catch point. Was a really tough catch.

Allen was horrible yesterday. 

He missed three wide open deep balls to Brown, Foster and Knox in the 1st quarter that all should have gone for long scores. For all his arm strength, his deep ball is one of the worst I've ever seen in the NFL. They're never even close to finding their targets. 

I was really hoping he turned a corner against the Cowboys, but yesterday was just awful.

The Pittsburgh game is huge. He needs to bounce back and put together a good game on the road against a quality opponent. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Allen was horrible yesterday. 

He missed three wide open deep balls to Brown, Foster and Knox in the 1st quarter that all should have gone for long scores. For all his arm strength, his deep ball is one of the worst I've ever seen in the NFL. They're never even close to finding their targets. 

I was really hoping he turned a corner against the Cowboys, but yesterday was just awful.

The Pittsburgh game is huge. He needs to bounce back and put together a good game on the road against a quality opponent. 

was wondering when this guy would show up.... been pretty quiet the last 3 weeks. wonder why.....

• Like (+1) 1

Rams only put up 6 against them, San Francisco only put up 17, Texans only put up 6, New England only put up 20, Seattle only put up 16.

Allen didn't play good but he was getting killed and pressured all day, they blitzed 50% of the time. Didn't seem like Daboll's game plan had many hot options for Allen.

Given that we put up more points than most other good teams did....I say Allen is at least a C, not sure how the Ds are justified given the opponent and the game script...

23 minutes ago, Mango said:

C is average. This is what people think average QB play looks like in the NFL?

Considering what other teams were doing against the Ravens, yes

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

When people are grading Josh, are they looking around at other NFL games and QB performances?    A guy like Drew Lock, who looks 12 years old and scared to death threw for 309 yds, 81%, 3 TDs  AT Houston.      

I want Josh to succeed, but he can't be shut down so easily by every good defense he plays against.   That was maybe a D performance at best yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

He was atrocious for most of the game.. His poor play adds stress to our already poor offense.  Guys start dropping balls, making mistakes, etc.  

Dabol was bad again but if Josh hits on any of those deep throws (0 for again), the whole complexion of the game changes and probably makes play calling a little easier.

The numbers on Josh passing over 20 yards has to be the worst all time this season right?  It's comically bad.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Rams only put up 6 against them, San Francisco only put up 17, Texans only put up 6, New England only put up 20, Seattle only put up 16.

Allen didn't play good but he was getting killed and pressured all day, they blitzed 50% of the time. Didn't seem like Daboll's game plan had many hot options for Allen.

Given that we put up more points than most other good teams did....I say Allen is at least a C, not sure how the Ds are justified given the opponent and the game script...

Considering what other teams were doing against the Ravens, yes

The issue is there were plays to be made yesterday.

Allen missed 3 wide open deep touchdowns in the first quarter alone.

His deep ball is laughably bad. 

17 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

17/39 - 146 yards - 44% completion - 1 TD - 9 yards rushing - 6 sacks - 1 fumble

The good: We went toe to toe with the top team in the AFC and had a chance to tie it at the end

The bad: Our defense is what kept us in it, and our RB/TE/WRʻs had some pretty bad drops that would have extended drives.

The ugly: Josh missed many throws that would have been HUGE gains, and took sacks that absolutely killed us... including the fumble.

All in all, I decided to keep it simple this week because we all saw the same thing: our offense blew a big game for us and has now caused us to lose to the top two teams in the AFC.

GO BILLS!

We don't do well against teams that can run Cover 0 effectively and have 3 good CB's that can play press man.  Realistically the only ones that can are New England and Baltimore, at least in the AFC.  Allen needs to be able to connect on shots down the field against them and he hasn't been able to at all this year.

On one hand: he is just a sophomore, improvement is not linear, and the team seems to rally around him even when times are bad.

On the other hand: his deep ball is atrocious, he fumbles the ball almost every time he gets his, and his bad play has single handedly caused us to lose vs the Pats and Ravens.

I still have faith that he will be our franchise however I really hope that by the end of this year he can remove the stigma of fans already knowing that itʻs "bad Josh" who showed up to play that day.

• Like (+1) 1