Josh Allen - week FOURTEEN report card

rayray808

26 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

The sacks in plus territory to start. Throw the dang ball into the bleachers. A number of times this year he’s knocked us out of FG range with that stuff or made the down and distance impossible (like the 4th down PI on Cole Beasley today that didn’t have to be 4th and a mile). That stuff is inexcusable at any level. Have to get rid of it and live to play another down or it’s points off the board. 

Those defenders were on him IMMEDIATELY on those sacks......would it be better if he forces the ball for turnovers?

Is Josh fully healthy? Even before the apparent leg injury he was a lot less aggressive running today. No designed runs today, and he seemed hesitant to pull it down and run when things broke down. And they broke down often. On the one scramble up the middle for good yardage he seemed to give himself up far easier than he usually would in a late game critical situation. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Those defenders were on him IMMEDIATELY on those sacks......would it be better if he forces the ball for turnovers?

That wasn’t always the case. Look the offensive line and Daboll did him no favors today, but some of it was on him.  

Also, he DID force the ball on a couple throws that could’ve been picked. I can think of one in particular in the first half where he was rolling right and nearly sacked and threw a floater that could’ve easily been picked. Just throw it away and move on. This game was a regression for him and he needs to be better. 

24 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Give the kid a break he also erased a few immediate pressures  by escaping and getting rid of the ball  He missed on several deep passes early that could have swung the game  After that he took a severe beating but hung in there  O line sucked and Daboll continues to call endless route combos that take too much time.  Also the empty set negates the ability to run draws/screens/swing passes to slow down the pass rush  He played poorly but lot of blame to pass around

I don’t disagree. The offense sucked collectively today. But this thread was about grading Allen. He needs to be better. He was reverting to some old bad habits. Doesn’t mean he won’t be better next week. This experience is great for him and the entire team, but this is big boy football this time of year. Have to step up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

17/39 - 146 yards - 44% completion - 1 TD - 9 yards rushing - 6 sacks - 1 fumble

The good: We went toe to toe with the top team in the AFC and had a chance to tie it at the end

The bad: Our defense is what kept us in it, and our RB/TE/WRʻs had some pretty bad drops that would have extended drives.

The ugly: Josh missed many throws that would have been HUGE gains, and took sacks that absolutely killed us... including the fumble.

All in all, I decided to keep it simple this week because we all saw the same thing: our offense blew a big game for us and has now caused us to lose to the top two teams in the AFC.

GO BILLS!

Totally agree.  He bails out of the pocket way too much.

C- drops line at times was horrid and it wasn't four vs five it was 5 vs five and they were getting beat one on one.  When the QB is getting hit and knocked around a lot all of them start being a bit yippy.  Yes he could be better but some of you think he should be top 5 atm and he is not atm

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

That wasn’t always the case. Look the offensive line and Daboll did him no favors today, but some of it was on him.  

Also, he DID force the ball on a couple throws that could’ve been picked. I can think of one in particular in the first half where he was rolling right and nearly sacked and threw a floater that could’ve easily been picked. Just throw it away and move on. This game was a regression for him and he needs to be better. 

I don’t disagree. The offense sucked collectively today. But this thread was about grading Allen. He needs to be better. He was reverting to some old bad habits. Doesn’t mean he won’t be better next week. This experience is great for him and the entire team, but this is big boy football this time of year. Have to step up. 

He for sure looked more like 2018 Josh but the O line also looked more like the 2018 raggedy unit.  Getting hit that many times has to rattle any qb.  Bottom line is we still dont have a consistent answer from cover 0 blitzes and Daboll continues to call stretches of weird cutesy stuff.  Still if John Brown wins off the line and creates some separation we might be singing the praises of Josh Allen .   I'm curious how many hits Allen took today  Had to be 20-25   That is not a recipe for success or his long term health

• Like (+1) 1

A C is what lamar jackson did, 3 TD's and 24 points 

Allen gets a big fat D today. looked lost from minute 1 until the end. We forced the ravens into a season high 9 points and only 24 points and at home the offense couldn't do anything. 

he was awful today. 

Edited by Penfield45

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Solid D.   And I’m getting tired of nobody’s like Drew Lock throwing for 300 yds five minutes into their careers and our guy isn’t close.  

683CE768-B483-4784-A9F5-5011A07B57AB.jpeg

Doesn’t get any easier next week with the Steelers who are 3rd in sacks and did a number on Kyler Murray today.

F.

He must figure out his accuracy beyond 20 yards for this team to be successful against playoff caliber teams. That's all there is to it. And as we approach year 3 he has to stop taking sacks the way he does. Throw the ball away. I'd say he left up to 17 points on the field yesterday with the two missed passes downfield that were open and the sack that took us out of field goal range. Yes his supporting cast was also awful but to truly be the guy he has to rise above it.

• Like (+1) 1

He's gotta figure out a way to start better. Even when he's "on", the 1st quarter is usually wasted on Allen getting his head into the game, or getting rid of nervous energy that causes him to overthrown the ball. Seriously, I think the Bills should make him run laps for half an hour pre-game to calm him down.

14 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

C not a great performance. Second half was better than a horrible first. 

But I will continue to give Baltimore a lot of credit, our offense isn’t like out of this world we can beat anyone.

we almost have to play mistake free against the best of the best.. lots of breakdowns everywhere. 

Agree Josh's second half was better than his first.

Definitely think a D is being overly generous. Felt like he was trying to play too much hero ball with the missed deep throws and getting out of the pocket. Hopefully he bounces back like he did after the pats game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Again Daboll, Daboll, Daboll.....  Allen was not good, but Daboll was so obvious....  Strong wind & every play was telegraphed.  Bad drops & too often put in a bad position.

This team can't throw a screen or slant to save their lives & Allen under ridiculous pressure.  

They only showed one replay but Mackenzie dropped a great pass that would have been a TD.  

I have it a C  

I'm OK with the C. Some bad drops in this game, and also some bad throws/decisions. That was a very good D, if not the best he will face this year. Not sure why Daboll didnt have some hot reads built into these plays. Guys were coming at Allen free and clear and he was doing his best to make something happen. The bright side was he wasn't forcing any passes and turning into picks.