Josh Allen - week FOURTEEN report card

rayray808

38 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The issue is there were plays to be made yesterday.

Allen missed 3 wide open deep touchdowns in the first quarter alone.

His deep ball is laughably bad. 

So many posters are excusing Josh's performance because he was under heavy pressure most of the game.  The problem is that they're ignoring the reason for the pressure.  Baltimore was able to pick their ears back and blitz because they weren't afraid of Allen beating them over the top.  The Ravens basically decided that they didn't need their safeties to defend passes, and it's not because their corners weren't getting beat.  It's because JA was missing his receivers by 5 yards.  If he's even close on those throws, Wink would have had to be more judicious with his blitzes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

So many posters are excusing Josh's performance because he was under heavy pressure most of the game.  The problem is that they're ignoring the reason for the pressure.  Baltimore was able to pick their ears back and blitz because they weren't afraid of Allen beating them over the top.  The Ravens basically decided that they didn't need their safeties to defend passes, and it's not because their corners weren't getting beat.  It's because JA was missing his receivers by 5 yards.  If he's even close on those throws, Wink would have had to be more judicious with his blitzes.

I hadn't even considered this.

Really great point. 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Allen was horrible yesterday. 

He missed three wide open deep balls to Brown, Foster and Knox in the 1st quarter that all should have gone for long scores. For all his arm strength, his deep ball is one of the worst I've ever seen in the NFL. They're never even close to finding their targets. 

I was really hoping he turned a corner against the Cowboys, but yesterday was just awful.

The Pittsburgh game is huge. He needs to bounce back and put together a good game on the road against a quality opponent. 

Look who decided to show up to the party. I figured you would be back after yesterday. You really dont have any dignity do you?

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Reader said:

Right, as of now Josh is playing like a below average franchise QB, good enough to win the games against bad defenses, but will stink it up from time to time. If he learns from this I am extremely excited about his play going forward.

Fixed it for you. So far against the teams with good defenses he has played below average. That should be a cause for concern. These next 2 games he plays 2 good defenses. These games plus the Ravens game will show if Allen has really turned a corner. 

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Rams only put up 6 against them, San Francisco only put up 17, Texans only put up 6, New England only put up 20, Seattle only put up 16.

Allen didn't play good but he was getting killed and pressured all day, they blitzed 50% of the time. Didn't seem like Daboll's game plan had many hot options for Allen.

Given that we put up more points than most other good teams did....I say Allen is at least a C, not sure how the Ds are justified given the opponent and the game script...

Considering what other teams were doing against the Ravens, yes

Average QB Play against the Ravens Defense: 

21/35- 219 yards- .85 TD/.85 INT- 5.8 yards/per attempt

Josh Allen: 

17/39- 146 yards- 1 TD/0 INT- 3.75 yards per attempt

Our QB did not in fact perform to average performance against the Baltimore defense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Fixed it for you. So far against the teams with good defenses he has played below average. That should be a cause for concern. These next 2 games he plays 2 good defenses. These games plus the Ravens game will show if Allen has really turned a corner. 

He just played what is considered the best overall team in the NFL and lost by 7 while being on their 20 to score.

I like our chances against Steelers/jets

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

was wondering when this guy would show up.... been pretty quiet the last 3 weeks. wonder why.....

There's no point. He's already said that he won't show up when the Bills win OR when Josh plays well because "there's nothing to talk about".

He basically staked his reputation on "Allen is horrible" back in March of 2018 and so now he's married to it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

He just played what is considered the best overall team in the NFL and lost by 7 while being on their 20 to score.

I like our chances against Steelers/jets

The Bills defense carried them to being that close in the game. Allen wasn't good. His deep ball is awful. I watch around the league and I see deep ball passes that completed quite often. Allen struggles with it. 

22 minutes ago, Billl said:

It's the old saying, Baltimore decided to make Josh exclusively a pocket passer and he failed.  Failed miserably.  And his receivers failed him too on about 4 or 5 occasions.  And the O-line broke down as well a few times.  So it's on all of them but the QB has the most control to elevate guys up and mask some of the deficiencies.   The Patriots also tried to make him a pocket passer in the game in September and Josh wasn't good.  

McDermott keeps saying over and over "we have to learn from it"..  OK, start learning to beat that system!!  

Baltimore was unrelenting with the blitzes and pass rush. The wind was obviously a factor and ironically he throws better into it then with it. That being said allot of missed opportunities between overthrows and drops. I feel like we abandon the run for long stretches of the game when that was our most effective way to move the ball. I give Josh a C for his performance but a big A for the heart and toughness he showed while he was getting battered.

10 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The Bills defense carried them to being that close in the game. Allen wasn't good. His deep ball is awful. I watch around the league and I see deep ball passes that completed quite often. Allen struggles with it. 

No QB is perfect they have all had bad games and they all miss deep throws which by definition are statistically low percentage completions.

You are just an Allen hater whose bias shows in emotional hot takes after a loss.

I dont think allen played great, but watching the NFL for so many years ive seen lots of great QBs not play great.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

There's no point. He's already said that he won't show up when the Bills win OR when Josh plays well because "there's nothing to talk about".

He basically staked his reputation on "Allen is horrible" back in March of 2018 and so now he's married to it.

I actually remember this.... how pathetic is that?

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I find it more odd than anything else. But then again, if you're married to a take and are willing to go down with it, I suppose it makes some sense.

only showing up to spout off after crappy games that fit your narrative is pathetic. hands down. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I actually remember this.... how pathetic is that?

When there are concerns there is generally much more to talk about. If Allen goes 20-20 and Bills win it is kind of pointless to be in a discussion of - Hey Allen played great what do you think? I agree, that pass to Know was amazing. My favorite was the one to Brown. Some real good takes there...

He plays bad it is -how can we fix this? Can we beat a team in the playoffs with this offense? Do we run more to set up the pass? Do we keep in more blockers. Much more discussion to be had. 

Unless we intend this to be a who is the biggest cheerleader contest?

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

only showing up to spout off after crappy games that fit your narrative is pathetic. hands down. 

Jrober38 was one of the worst on the old Bills message board and it’s not surprising that the clown is one of the worst here. 

But saying you won’t be on after the Bills win and Allen looks good is extremely pathetic. Cowardly, in fact...

17 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Give the kid a break he also erased a few immediate pressures  by escaping and getting rid of the ball  He missed on several deep passes early that could have swung the game  After that he took a severe beating but hung in there  O line sucked and Daboll continues to call endless route combos that take too much time.  Also the empty set negates the ability to run draws/screens/swing passes to slow down the pass rush  He played poorly but lot of blame to pass around

This is where I am.  Mistakes of teammates in a team sport snowball and impact the performance of all.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

It's the old saying, Baltimore decided to make Josh exclusively a pocket passer and he failed.  Failed miserably.  And his receivers failed him too on about 4 or 5 occasions.  And the O-line broke down as well a few times.  So it's on all of them but the QB has the most control to elevate guys up and mask some of the deficiencies.   The Patriots also tried to make him a pocket passer in the game in September and Josh wasn't good.  

McDermott keeps saying over and over "we have to learn from it"..  OK, start learning to beat that system!!  

In my humble opinion, the times when the pocket didn't break down was the exception yesterday.  The edges were runways straight to our QB.  The offense as a whole just didn't execute.  I'm so frustrated with the blocking on our screens and flat routes.  These are badly needed against blitzes and our WRs and even TEs are constantly missing their blocking assignments.  There was one yesterday where Beas was behind Singletary instead of out in front of him.  The entire scheme on these is missing and missing badly.  If I was an opposing DC, I'd blitz all the time until we get these fixed.