Josh Allen - week FOURTEEN report card

rayray808

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I’d really thought/hoped/prayed that Josh had turned a corner after that Dallas game toward becoming the guy. Of course he’s still learning and I’m not ready to write him off or anything. He just regressed pretty badly this week. Here’s hoping he shakes it off. That’s one thing he’s shown capable of doing. Besides, it’s the Bills. When have they ever made anything easy on us. 

Progress of a QB doesnt work that way.....its going to be up and down.   Tom Brady is struggling today against a very suspect Cheifs defense......that is the way it works

• Like (+1) 4

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think C is spot on......i love how ppl dont want to give a good grade when he plays well and want to give him a crappier grade then he deserves when he doesnt play well......shows the bias

The strip sack totally not his fault......brought the team back to within 7 and a chance to tie...lots of dropped balls and smart plays like throwing when he say pass interference plays......but cant really grade him any higher then a C because of the sacks and over throws

If you can’t admit when he has a crap game then yeah, there’s bias being shown, but it’s not on my side of the table.

Edited by MDH
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Progress of a QB doesnt work that way.....its going to be up and down.   Tom Brady is struggling today against a very suspect Cheifs defense......that is the way it works

I realize that, but this was a pretty steep regression. Vintage rookie year josh. He hasn’t shown that since the Cheats game. But this might be the best defense he’s played since then. He hung in and battled, but still made some inexcusable mistakes. Like I said, I’m still with him. Just disappointing. 

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That first half was an F. His worst half of football in his career. He played better in the 2nd but his players let him down.

That first half against the Cheats was worse. Had like 2-3 picks. Did zilch on offense. 

I don’t feel this is an immediate overreaction, but this game gives me serious pause about next Sunday. Yes, he played great last week on the big stage, but in the other 2 games this year that I would consider the biggest games (today and New England) he pressed incredibly hard and did not have good games. If he can play like he did last week next week will be a win. If it’s like today though, it will probably be another loss 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How many of the sacks were his fault? Serious question. I could see him hold the ball too long at times, but he also had no time at all other times (not to mention bs route combos)

Right, held the ball waiting for the hour long routes to developed, terrible play design and play calls.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I realize that, but this was a pretty steep regression. Vintage rookie year josh. He hasn’t shown that since the Cheats game. But this might be the best defense he’s played since then. He hung in and battled, but still made some inexcusable mistakes. Like I said, I’m still with him. Just disappointing. 

That first half against the Cheats was worse. Had like 2-3 picks. Did zilch on offense. 

What are the inexcuable mistakes......

I see poor play against a readlly good defense......but I dont see turnovers....or throwing the ball into coverage...the sacks he took he literally had no chance to throw the ball away

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

What are the inexcuable mistakes......

I see poor play against a readlly good defense......but I dont see turnovers....or throwing the ball into coverage...the sacks he took he literally had no chance to throw the ball away

The sacks in plus territory to start. Throw the dang ball into the bleachers. A number of times this year he’s knocked us out of FG range with that stuff or made the down and distance impossible (like the 4th down PI on Cole Beasley today that didn’t have to be 4th and a mile). That stuff is inexcusable at any level. Have to get rid of it and live to play another down or it’s points off the board. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think a C is about right.  Allen didn't start off well.  He missed some throws he should have made.  Then he played better.  No one wanted to help him out.  Not Daboll, not Knox, not Beasley, not Singletary.  Then they played better a little too late.

6 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

The sacks in plus territory to start. Throw the dang ball into the bleachers. A number of times this year he’s knocked us out of FG range with that stuff or made the down and distance impossible (like the 4th down PI on Cole Beasley today that didn’t have to be 4th and a mile). That stuff is inexcusable at any level. Have to get rid of it and live to play another down or it’s points off the board. 

Give the kid a break he also erased a few immediate pressures  by escaping and getting rid of the ball  He missed on several deep passes early that could have swung the game  After that he took a severe beating but hung in there  O line sucked and Daboll continues to call endless route combos that take too much time.  Also the empty set negates the ability to run draws/screens/swing passes to slow down the pass rush  He played poorly but lot of blame to pass around

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

The Oline was bad today, yes, but we’ve seen guys in the NFL do much better with much worse. Watson very quick comes to mind. 

The Texans scored 7 points against the Ravens. They also scored 3 points against the Broncos before going down by 5 TDs. 

Josh gets a solid D for today’s game. He got blitzed 98% of the time and didn’t make them pay with a quick pass. I think this game was a blessing in disguise because Josh can learn some big lessons from it. This is the last game we lose this season.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Josh gets a solid D for today’s game. He got blitzed 98% of the time and didn’t make them pay with a quick pass. I think this game was a blessing in disguise because Josh can learn some big lessons from it. This is the last game we lose this season.

Right, as of now Josh is playing like a below average franchise QB, good enough to win the majority of games, but will stink it up from time to time. If he learns from this I am extremely excited about his play going forward.

• Like (+1) 1