Josh Allen - week FOURTEEN report card

rayray808

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that’s harsh.  He slung some catchable balls under duress where his receivers let him down

I try to be fair and not just a Josh homer.   He missed some passes, if he had connected, might have loosened up the D pressure.  Took some unfortunate sacks instead of throwing the ball away.  Although I am frustrated with Dabol's lack of adjustments, Allen needs to read the blitz better.  

• Like (+1) 1

He left 3 long TDs on the field today.  He was not good at all.  A C- might be generous.  He picked it up a bit late, but this is a tough league and when you get guys running open for sure TDs, you have to hit them more often than not.  He didn't hit 1 of those long ones that were there for the taking.

And, between himself and the coaching staff, you have to learn to beat Cover 0 at least sometimes.  It was a bad game.  It happens.  Hopefully we have another shot at these guys in a few weeks.

• Like (+1) 2

C-

We gotta give him more protection or better play calls when D units are bringing the house. Drop passes when hit in 2 hands have to be caught 99% of the time. 

Allen still has work to do on his deep passes and my biggest knock still against him. He once again rose in the 4th qtr with the game on the line. I honestly did not see us clawing back in the 4th once we went down 15. I assumed we would not even score a TD on O. Somehow we still had a chance to tie the game with a minute or so left. You can't teach clutch, even in a loss that is special.

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I try to be fair and not just a Josh homer.   He missed some passes, if he had connected, might have loosened up the D pressure.  Took some unfortunate sacks instead of throwing the ball away.  Although I am frustrated with Dabol's lack of adjustments, Allen needs to read the blitz better.  

He does. I go a little higher than you on the grade but I think your critique is fair. 

I would give him a D as well. 114 combined net yards on only 2.78 yards per play. A couple bad sacks which took us out of FG range. Two fumbles.

Receivers let him down in the second half but he just wasn't good enough vs. the blitz today. I thought the ankle injury really hampered him. 

Edited by VW82

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Allen needs to read the blitz better but he did the right thing a number of times to take the sack and hold on to the ball.  Flinging the ball away recklessly is the path to interceptions and intentional grounding.  I wish he’d managed to hang onto it on that strip sack.

Probably a B-.  He was better than the NE game, but not nearly as good as the Dallas game.  I think Josh will get there, but in my opinion, Daboll isn't helping with some of his head scratching play calls.  At this point, Josh should be primarily working short to medium routes that are quick to develop, not sitting back in the pocket for 3+ seconds and taking a sack.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, skibum said:

D. Not an F because the line was horrid today. But Josh missed on passes to open receivers and made bad decisions in the pocket - like scrambling left or right when he actually had time to step up and throw. And he didn't use his legs to his advantage. I think he ran once or maybe twice? He took bad sacks and fumbled. He also threw multiple balls up for grabs, which he hadn't done in a few weeks.

It was a very bad day for Josh Allen, made worse by terrible pass protection. 

That's something that can improve with experience.

I'd say a D. His deep balls weren't in the same area code as his receivers. And the ravens knew it, they blitzed him cuz they had no need for over the top help since the 1st quarter. Ravens defensive scheme all day was to challenge Allen to step up in the pocket and deliver shots downfield on a dime and he couldn't. 

But in Allen's defense I said this last year, you can tell Allen thrives off of steam with his offense, and huge drops and his receivers not picking him up on the slightest difficult ball takes away that steam and confidence. If just half those catches were made I think it's a different game and a different Allen the rest of the game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow.  Our expectations are so low. C?

I’m a HUGE Josh fan. Love the kid. Yes, our line didn’t help and there were some big drops, but he had a horrendous day today. That final drive was only close because of flags against the Ravens. 

I’ll give him D- only because I’m a fan of his. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d really thought/hoped/prayed that Josh had turned a corner after that Dallas game toward becoming the guy. Of course he’s still learning and I’m not ready to write him off or anything. He just regressed pretty badly this week. Here’s hoping he shakes it off. That’s one thing he’s shown capable of doing. Besides, it’s the Bills. When have they ever made anything easy on us. 

41 minutes ago, MDH said:

C is very generous.br

I think C is spot on......i love how ppl dont want to give a good grade when he plays well and want to give him a crappier grade then he deserves when he doesnt play well......shows the bias

The strip sack totally not his fault......brought the team back to within 7 and a chance to tie...lots of dropped balls and smart plays like throwing when he say pass interference plays......but cant really grade him any higher then a C because of the sacks and over throws

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

Too many plays were complete crisis situations. Those plays also affect the QB when he actually has time. 

D goes to Dabol.  The call to throw to Singletary in the flat after the Bills stuffed it down the Ravens' throats completely changed the complexion of the game.  The offense wasn't the same after that play.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 1