Are the Bills better on the road?

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bills seem to have a problem playing at home. ALL of their weakest performances this year have been at home. In fact, the biggest blowouts throughout the McD era have been at home. The Bills have even looked nervy during most of their home WINS this season. I'm beginning to think the Bills have a homefield disadvantage, but why? Too comfortable? Too much pressure to play for the fans?

2019:

Home: 4-3
Away: 5-1

Also, the Bills have yet to show that they can handle the adversity of success, as they seem to lay eggs at home after big road wins. Similar to their inability to step on throats during a game, they have not shown an ability to do so over the course of a season either. Young team? Growing pains?

Good Post yes basically. And yes to the inability to beat good teams. The dallas game was a good win though and it's disappointing that Allen and the offence regressed right back to how they were in earlier games, mostly at home. 

20 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Nope,  wins on road were against bad teams and as were now seeing you can include Dallas.  The Bills do not have enough play makers on offense to win against good teams, WR are all smurfs and still no separation.  Why are DB'S always knocking ball down?  no separation and too small to shield defenders

The Eagles are a bad team if that's how you define Dallas and that was BY FAR our worst game all season...

And it was at home in the elements, which is always supposed to be Buffalo's advantage.

Home-- 54.8% completion %, 6 YPA, 11 TDs (8 passing, 2 rushing), 7 turnovers (5 INTS, 2 fumbles lost), 77.4 QB Rating 

Away--65% completion %, 7.5 YPA, 14 TDs (8 passing, 6 rushing), 5 turnovers (3 INTs, 2 fumbles lost), 94.7 QB Rating

Allen is better on the road. Personally I think the immediate and added pressure and expectation of a ravenous fanbase behind him just makes him overly excited and causes him to lose focus.

Oddly enough he seems to thrive under duress on the road.

I expect a bounceback good game for him in primetime on the road against the Steelers in SNF.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Time will tell, I suppose, but the eye test is pretty clear to me.

You guys may have something here but I think we are giving more to than it really is. He plays a little tighter especially early in home games but this year our toughest opponents have been at home too. I think it’s something he will adjust to as he matures.

I saw an interview with some players (NCAA and pro) earlier this year and they were asked about playing home/road games.   Many of them said they loved the "us against the world" feeling they got from playing on the road and how great it felt to silence the stadium.  I think it also has to do with camaraderie on the road and just being locked in because it's a business trip for these guys.

Clearly this version of the Bills are road warriors and they spin their wheels at home, especially the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Or it could be explained by the actual eye test and watching Buffalo play in every home game, especially 1st halves.

I bet if someone broke down our 1st half offensive stats vs 2nd half at home the numbers would be staggeringly atrocious.

I don't get what your point would be there.  You'd have to look at our 1st half offensive stats against other strong defensive teams that we played in other stadia to decide that we were worse.  Oh, wait....

The best teams we've played on the road have been Titans, Browns, and Cowboys.  The best teams we've played at home have been NE, Eagles, and Ravens.  In defensive ranking (points) that would be #1, #5, #15 at home vs #9, #16, #12 on the road.

We have had worse first halves at home because that's where we've played better defensive teams, not because of some magic too-hyped too-pressured juju.

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Don't you think the quality of opponent impacts the analysis?

The 3 home losses this year have come to Philly, NE, and Baltimore, arguably the 3 best teams we have played.

The 2 best teams we have played on the road are (maybe) Cleveland and Dallas.

We beat one and lost to one.

Rather than focus on venue, I would suggest the rule is more that we beat bad teams and lose to good ones.

You're exactly correct in this.

A secondary factor would be Daboll's failure to take the Buffalo game-time weather into sufficient account in his game planning (or maybe he has excessive faith in Allen's arm to overcome it).  That was a factor in the Eagles game and yesterday IMO.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't get what your point would be there.  You'd have to look at our 1st half offensive stats against other strong defensive teams that we played in other stadia to decide that we were worse.  Oh, wait....

The best teams we've played on the road have been Titans, Browns, and Cowboys.  The best teams we've played at home have been NE, Eagles, and Ravens.  In defensive ranking (points) that would be #1, #5, #15 at home vs #9, #16, #12 on the road.

We have had worse first halves at home because that's where we've played better defensive teams, not because of some magic too-hyped too-pressured juju.

giphy.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dallas is a top 10 team defense and currently 7th in pass defense.

That was one of Allen's best games.

Philly has a worse defense, but you pull that out as though they're a better team.  Why?

I'm a little amazed that you're clinging to a solely statistical argument.

You seriously don't notice a difference in the way our offense and Allen in particular play when he's at home?

Next Sunday on the road against one of the league's best defense will be a great test to this theory.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Dallas is a top 10 team defense and currently 7th in pass defense.

That was one of Allen's best games.

Philly has a worse defense, but you pull that out as though they're a better team.  Why?

I'm a little amazed that you're clinging to a solely statistical argument.

You seriously don't notice a difference in the way our offense and Allen in particular play when he's at home?

Next Sunday on the road against one of the league's best defense will be a great test to this theory.

The point that you don't seem able or willing to address is that we have played better defenses at home than on the road.  The statistic on points given up is one measure of that.

Better opponent defenses = worse offensive play

I don't understand why people enthralled with some "eyeball test" fail to acknowledge that eyeballs and statistics  really should have some connection.  There's no need to go  into woo-woo overhyped amped up stuff when a better defense than we are as an offense is simply kicking our offense's butt.

One promising characteristic of Allen is that he does seem able to learn from his mistakes.  As I've posted elsewhere a couple times, especially early in the game Allen was passing up 3-4 yd gains to take shots.  If he learns from those mistakes and takes the easier completions vs Pittsburgh, it's not gonna test a theory about "just plays worse at home", it's gonna test a theory about whether or not Allen is coachable.

I think this year is just an anomaly.   The last ten years the Bills have a 330 win percentage on the road, and a .550 win percentage at home. 

I just think its a little too early to tell if they have been better one way or the other this year.  If end up losing the next two, and then only beating the Jets week 17, you will have a 5-3 record at home, and a 5-3 away.   To say they play better one way or the other you really need to consider the opponents.  

20 hours ago, Lurker said:

I've thought that Josh seems less amped up in some of those road games.  He's just too jacked in some of the home games. 

And as much as he knows he can't play Hero Ball, he plays hero ball for the hometown fans too, too much...

My uncle and I were saying the same thing yesterday.  He gets too pumped up when he plays at home.

• Like (+1) 1

Just a statistical curiosity at this point, more than anything. A lot of it has to do with the offensive matchups vs quality DBs, single coverage and overload pressures. Dallas has talent, but they don’t run a scheme similar to the Ravens or Pats. PHL game was oddball due to extreme wind and a strange gameplan by Daboll in those conditions. There’s not much mystery to this really, it’s about matchups and scheme. 

The two best defense we faced were at home so it's just as likely the same poor offensive showings would've happened on the road.  However, we played much better in Miami than we did facing them at home so evidence points to them being more comfortable on the road.  Josh Allen in particular seems more amped up in front of the home crowd which isn't that uncommon for a young quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Kiva said:

They can’t play in the Buffalo weather, we NEED a dome. 

That does seem to be an issue. They're a good running team but they're a finesse running team, not a power one. They run out of 11 personnel most of the time and rely on spreading the D out to gain yards on the ground. If a D plays cover zero and clogs the middle of the field Allen seems to struggle in the wind hitting his outside targets.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point that you don't seem able or willing to address is that we have played better defenses at home than on the road.  The statistic on points given up is one measure of that.

Better opponent defenses = worse offensive play

I don't understand why people enthralled with some "eyeball test" fail to acknowledge that eyeballs and statistics  really should have some connection.  There's no need to go  into woo-woo overhyped amped up stuff when a better defense than we are as an offense is simply kicking our offense's butt.

One promising characteristic of Allen is that he does seem able to learn from his mistakes.  As I've posted elsewhere a couple times, especially early in the game Allen was passing up 3-4 yd gains to take shots.  If he learns from those mistakes and takes the easier completions vs Pittsburgh, it's not gonna test a theory about "just plays worse at home", it's gonna test a theory about whether or not Allen is coachable.

I can concede that Baltimore and the Patriots are the best defenses the Bills have faced, but even subtracting those games from the rest of his home games, you don't think these numbers look pretty different since you can't see him playing tight during the games?

Home-- 59.6% completion %, 6.8 YPA, 9 TDs--less than 2 per game (8 passing, 1 rushing), 3 turnovers (2 INTS, 1 fumble lost)

Away--65% completion %, 7.5 YPA, 14 TDs --more than 2 per game (8 passing, 6 rushing), 5 turnovers (3 INTs, 2 fumbles lost)

I don't know why you're so unwilling to accept that sometimes there are intangible factors that aren't parts of the football field within the sidelines that also come into play for football players.

Watching Allen yesterday there were multiple times he was wildly inaccurate.  Some could be attributed to weather and some to defensive pressure, but yes, he looked jittery from the get go.

Like you, I feel better about Allen moving forward because I do think he learns from his mistakes and will continue to get better, but this year I feel more comfortable with the Bills and Allen especially on the road.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Better teams they have faced at home so far.

3 losses and 2 of them coming to NE and Balt, only bad loss was to Phili.

But they have for sure taken care of business on the road so far, only tough loss of course was against the Browns

yes, that horrible dominant Browns team