This Team is one year away

wppete

1 hour ago, wppete said:

We are one year away from being serious contenders. Bills showed today we are not an elite team yet. One more good FA class and Draft class. 

holes I see not in order 

DE - Less if they re-sign Lawson

TE - like Knox Potential but need more (can be less if we get a legit WR)

WR - Like Brown as No2. Beasley in Slot. Need a legit top end talent and a great draft to find one

OL - Still can have upgrades here 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

We are one year away from being serious contenders. Bills showed today we are not an elite team yet. One more good FA class and Draft class. 

We knew this already didn't we? The Bills just happen to be moving along a little quicker than we thought. They are ready to take that final step with a few additions and growth. The Bills remain a dangerous team that is capable of beating anyone. "Capable" is the word! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Agree.  Primary needs are a RT, DE, second RB, and a big WR.  Daboll is a problem, too.  He should be replaced but not with someone who will implement a whole new offensive system; just tweak what is there and go toward quicker passes.

Add TE to that group. Knox is decent, but is inconsistent. IMO, Knox would be a good #2 TE. Outside of Knox, the Bills have gotten next to nothing from the TE group this season.

34 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Add TE to that group. Knox is decent, but is inconsistent. IMO, Knox would be a good #2 TE. Outside of Knox, the Bills have gotten next to nothing from the TE group this season.

Yeah, I think Kroft was supposed to be the #1 TE.  It just hasn't worked out real well.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Knox just needs more experience I hope a full offseason with the team and him and Allen will have a much better dynamic I think.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Thought the same. 
They are learning to win also. The game seemed a little too big for them at times . That includes Josh, Beasely ( still don’t love him), Effing Knox with another key drop on an easy ball like Beasely.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Kinda unfair. Yeah they were trash today but come playoff time anyone has a shot to get hot.

Exactly. They are not the very Top Tier, "playoffs are a given unless injuries and such" level yet, but who would have though the Giants would win the SB in the year the Cheats were 18-0? Just get in. But yeah, one or two more year of good drafts and salary cap space... oh yeah! Still, let's win N O W

They are just as likely to take a step back this offseason as they are to take the next step forward.

They had an easy schedule this year and haven't beaten anyone better then them yet.

They need to take advantage of this year and go far, then hope they make the right moves this offseason to keep things going.

Every team in the offseason is looking to get better and many will. Seeing them keep it close against one of the leagues best teams is good, but it means nothing after this season is over.

Right now I can see the Bills being able to upset the pats IF the defence can play harder in the 4th quarter and keep them from trying to come back (hoping the Bills go into the 4th having a lead.....

They beat the earlier season Titans which appear to be a different team then the new Tannehill Titans

Rams an GB would be favorites to beat the Bills, but have the occasional bad weeks that they could be beaten, same with the Vikings.

The rest would probably take a fluke or a really bad game by them to lose to the Bills right now. 

I would almost want to add the Bears to that list, If Mitch has turned the corner, they have a defence that makes them a very good team.

Going into next season though, who knows what could happen

Allen is has some developing yet to do before he approaches his ceiling.  The Bills have another great cap situation and a surplus of draft picks.  Their talent will be upgraded again next season.   I think the Bills could win a playoff game in January, but I doubt they'll reach the Super Bowl.  I expect they will be a top 5 team in the league next year and it looks like they have a good shot at dethroning the Patriots in the AFC East.

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Allen is has some developing yet to do before he approaches his ceiling.  The Bills have another great cap situation and a surplus of draft picks.  Their talent will be upgraded again next season.   I think the Bills could win a playoff game in January, but I doubt they'll reach the Super Bowl.  I expect they will be a top 5 team in the league next year and it looks like they have a good shot at dethroning the Patriots in the AFC East.

Well I hope the talent is upgraded by more then just the draft. So far they haven't hit it big with their Big FA signings (Star, Morse) but have found a couple of lesser FAs in Brown and Beasley that have helped.

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Kinda unfair. Yeah they were trash today but come playoff time anyone has a shot to get hot.

The trash today lost by one score to the hottest team in the league. That’s my kinda trash!  ?

I said before the season began I was hopeful for  this year, but I think NEXT year we seriously contend. Now, could we get in and beat some playoff teams? ABSOLUTELY! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

The trash today lost by one score to the hottest team in the league. That’s my kinda trash!  ?

I said before the season began I was hopeful for  this year, but I think NEXT year we seriously contend. Now, could we get in and beat some playoff teams? ABSOLUTELY! 

I think this is the year it can be done, there are very few 'unbeatable' teams out there right now, and they just finished playing one. If KC is healthy, they may become one too. But outside of that, the rest of them are all beatable, the problem is that the Bills are just as beatable as the others.......... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Well I hope the talent is upgraded by more then just the draft. So far they haven't hit it big with their Big FA signings (Star, Morse) but have found a couple of lesser FAs in Brown and Beasley that have helped.

In my post, I mentioned Buffalo's upcoming cap advantage as well as their surplus of draft picks.  My assumption is they will add quality free agents.  I'm not impressed by splash free agent signings as they are usually over priced.  Brown and Beasley were great adds last off season.  Ideally, most of a team's long term core players will come via the draft, but there is always room for a few long term pickups.  Otherwise, free agency is also good for short term role players.  For example, Buffalo have six offensive linemen who weren't here a year ago.  Only Morse has a long term deal.  The rest are on 1 or 2 year deals.  Buffalo can retain some of them if they want.  Feliciano seems pretty useful for his position flexibility  for instance.  The Bills may draft one and sign one who is a little higher graded lineman to a 3 or 4 year deal and start to build some long term stability.  They can get rid of the weaker links in the group without a cap penalty.