This Team is one year away

wppete

37 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

We were one play away from tying in the fourth against the best team in the league WHILE letting our QB be crushed. We also stopped their rushing. 

We are good now. 

Damn right, yo. It's 1988 all over again. Just need another couple drafts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The biggest problem with the roster today was at QB.

Not sure the QB is a year away from making us a serious contender.

Unless you are thinking about drafting another or making a trade for one of the big names that are likely to come on the market this off-season.

Crusade away.

35 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Daboll is a problem, too.  He should be replaced but not with someone who will implement a whole new offensive system; just tweak what is there and go toward quicker passes.

He designs good plays, but he could use some help with play-calling. Can we get him a tutor? A game-time consultant?

I think Josh making strides as a pocket passer, reading the field and making good, quick decisions vs. the blitz, is going to determine whether we can become legit superbowl contenders or not. Right now he's so dynamic if/when he escapes the pocket but games like today show where he's at when he doesn't. We can draft/sign all the good players we want but until the pocket passing improves there's a hard ceiling for this team.

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The biggest problem with the roster today was at QB.

Not sure the QB is a year away from making us a serious contender.

Unless you are thinking about drafting another or making a trade for one of the big names that are likely to come on the market this off-season.

To blame this on the QB shows you know nothing. The oline couldn't  hold a block for more than 2 seconds, the WR/TE/RB couldn't catch a cold and the OC could design or call a decent game if his life depended on it. That said Allen could absolutely be better but to blame him for the loss shows your ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Edited by pop gun
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I think Josh making strides as a pocket passer, reading the field and making good, quick decisions vs. the blitz, is going to determine whether we can become legit superbowl contenders or not. Right now he's so dynamic if/when he escapes the pocket but games like today show where he's at when he doesn't. We can draft/sign all the good players we want but until the pocket passing improves there's a hard ceiling for this team.

Josh almost lost his life today. He was blasted all game by that Ravens Defense. We have to protect Josh and give him time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

We are one year away from being serious contenders. Bills showed today we are not an elite team yet. One more good FA class and Draft class. 

I m not writing them off as true contenders anymore.

Every team has weaknesses. This team can get better before, and even during the playoffs.

Edited by 32ABBA

20 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

He designs good plays, but he could use some help with play-calling. Can we get him a tutor? A game-time consultant?

Exactly.  He does design good plays, but part of the job is calling the plays.  If Daboll is replaced, which I wouldn't be against, I wouldn't want to blow up everything he did.  I think some tweaks are needed, such as quick, short passes (slants and screens).  I'm sure Daboll can add this, but it is up to McD to tell him to add it, as well as direct what he wants the offense to look like.  This is what John Harbaugh did with Greg Roman; there is no way Balt's offense would look like it does if Roman was left to his own devices.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

We are one year away from being serious contenders. Bills showed today we are not an elite team yet. One more good FA class and Draft class. 

We lost a close game to the best team in the NFL.  The Bills have a shot.  To be fair to the OP, our roster will be better next year.  The schedule will likely be harder and they will likely have more injuries next year though.  As fans, we cant assume next year will be better.  Go Bills!!

16 minutes ago, wppete said:

Josh almost lost his life today. He was blasted all game by that Ravens Defense. We have to protect Josh and give him time. 

Yes but some of that is recognizing when they're going to blitz and either audibling to better protection or a different play, or if they surprise you it's knowing where your hot read is and getting the ball out quickly. The fact he doesn't seem able to do that is exacerbating the problem. It's not like we're getting destroyed with four rushers on every play.

Edited by VW82

1 minute ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

We lost a close game to the best team in the NFL.  The Bills have a shot.  To be fair to the OP, our roster will be better next year.  The schedule will likely be harder and they will likely have more injuries next year though.  As fans, we cant assume next year will be better.  Go Bills!!

I think if we can replicate the success we had this year on FA signings and this years Draft class we will be unstoppable. I still believe we have a chance to win deep in the playoffs this year. But next year we should be destroying teams. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Ford needs to be moved and Spain should be sent packing.   Draft a lg and rt.  

If you're moving Ford (which I'm fine with) why do you then need a guard?  I'd think Morse, Ford, Feleciano, and Dawkins is a good 4 to start with.  Wouldn't be upset either if they moved Dawkins to the right side either.  Moving Ford back and forth as much as they have including during pre-season hasn't helped him or any rookies development for that matter.

Agree overall, we're a year away.  Need another good legit WR, doesn't have to be a #1 either but a good #2 i.e. Brown clone would do.  One lineman, a bruising RB usually they can be found in FA.  On defense, one or two DE and OLB plus overall LB depth