Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

1 hour ago, asyranok said:

Also... I am reading through this thread...

Trust me. Josh Allen is a future "Well Above Average" to "Elite" QB. I promise you (again as a Ravens fan) that I know a competent QB when I see one (aka they are on the other team) unless they are the 2012 Playoffs Flacco or 2019 Jackson. The best QB we had before them was Vinny Testaverde. Allen is an excellent QB. He has to want to be better; and the Bills need to continue building around him. If they do, he's a top 8 QB for sure. If they cater to him, he's more of a Steve Young type QB. It's up to coaching. The raw talent is clearly there. I know talent when I see it; considering that I know a complete black hole of talent when I don't see it at that position.

just curious what part of that game made you think he is a future elite QB

bc that was the worst he has looked since his rookie year 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

just curious what part of that game made you think he is a future elite QB

bc that was the worst he has looked since his rookie year 

You’re asking the wrong question. All trees, no forest. The more relevant question is :

What part of the season made you think Allen has the potential to be an elite quarterback?  Then the answer is obvious if you have been watching all of the games

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Just watched this play again.  Beasley was in the middle of the spin to break free when Allen makes his decision to throw to Brown.  

At the moment of decision, Beasley was still covered.  

That .5 seconds of this pic made all the difference 

Beasley was catching stuff all day.  One problem with JA at this point is lack of anticipation. 

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

You’re asking the wrong question. All trees, no forest. The more relevant question is :

What part of the season made you think Allen has the potential to be an elite quarterback?  Then the answer is obvious if you have been watching all of the games

I'll save this argument until the end of the season, I need to see him go into Pittsburg and clinch us a WC. 

so far all he has done is beat up on mediocre teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

And he’s done it with a mediocre supporting cast! It’s not as simple as you think. If you can’t see the indicators from what he has done already regardless of this overstated strength of schedule stuff then you are just missing it IMO.

But, the question of how good he will ultimately be has not been finally answered.  So, let’s wait and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Here's my take on a disappointing loss:

*  What made this game so disappointing was that we had a real chance to take it to OT.  And a win today would have really set us up for a Division title push in the last 3 games.  But the fact we were so disappointed today is a sign that this team is getting better.  Tonight I feel like I used to after a Bills loss to a good team in the 1990's.  And that's a big step in the right direction even if it sucks big time in the moment.

*  The reality check is that we lost to the best team in the NFL by a TD in December! 

*  Today showed us all what this team needs to get to the next level:

-  we need to further upgrade the O-line.  It's a lot better then it was last year but it can't handle the blitz and they're not athletic enough to get out in space and effectively block for screen passes. 

-  we need play makers on offense.  At the very least we need a pass catching TE, a BIG & dominating #1 WR & another RB.  If we're lucky, Knox might grow into that TE for us but we have acute needs for a 2nd RB and a 1st WR.  Fouts correctly pointed out that our passing options are limited without a big bodied WR that can go up and win a ball. 

*  The defense is very good but still not elite.  You just can't let a team come out of the 2nd half locker room and score as easily as the Ravens did.  That TD pass to the TE was high school open. 

*  The dropped passes have to stop.  The Bills lead the league in this category and we probably widened our lead today.  On 2 critical 2nd half possessions dropped passes cost us dearly.  The first was by Knox.  When your QB is running for his life and makes a fantastic throw that hits you between the #'s in the red zone YOU HAVE TO HANG ON TO IT.  We had to settle for a FG on a drive that might have netted a TD had Knox caught that ball.  The other bad drop was by Beasley where again Allen avoids a sack and throws a perfect long ball down the sideline.  You have to make that catch.  We likely get a FG at least on that drive. 

*  Finally I'm sick & tired of NFL officiating.  These guys suck.  Not calling a PI on that deep throw to Foster is utterly incompetent.  What a huge non-call.  The only encouraging thing about this play is that the pass was on target and the Baltimore DB had to interfere to prevent the catch.  But my goodness NFL officiating is making it almost impossible to watch the games.  I mean look at the KC/NE game as a perfect example.

Spot on. Its a bummer because we had a still had a shot despite the miscues. 

I also think back to play calling those last four downs. Daboll needs to put us in the best plays he has on tap.

I didn’t like the first down run. I think considering how physical they were up front the chances we break one was low. Thought it was a waste of a down.

The Second play Josh was rolling  left I think. It was just a strange play all around but rolling left Effectively takes half the field out for play. 

I can’t remember what the play was on third down but I remember not liking it.

Fourth down was a good call in my mind , it was a good throw , one on one with Smoke. and the defender made a good play on. 

I like Knox and think he can be the guy but he needs to step up on some of those plays. At this level those should not have been drops.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I also thought it was a tale of two Allen's in each half.  In the first half Allen was bad, on par with the NE game but minus the INT's but in the 2nd half he had a solid outing that would have been very good:

*  had Knox held onto that throw giving us a 1st down in the Red Zone.  We had to settle for a FG on that drive.

*  had Beasley caught that deep pass that would have given us a 1st down inside the Raven's 40 yard line. 

*  had Singleterry run through rather then leap early for that deep pass down the sideline that would have been a 40 - 50 yard gain and it may have even gone for a TD.

*  had the ref done his job and thrown the flag on that obvious PI on Allen's deep shot to Foster that would have given us a first down at the Baltimore 25 yard line.  BTW, that pass was well thrown and on target 50 yards downfield.  The PI was the only play the DB could make to prevent the catch.

I know I'm playing the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" game here but I think it's justified.  Everything I listed above should happen in an NFL game.  And if they happened today you could add 10 - 17 points to our score.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't fault Allen that much but I'd love to have seen him immediately look for Beas with Brown having good coverage. Still, he went with his guy, hit him in the hands on a bullet. Extremely tough tough catch but it needs to be made. 

And of course we don't get to know the play's prescribed route concepts/progressions. If you'd love to see Allen look for Beasley first on that play, that might not be up to the QB. (But on that given, isolated example of said play, retrospect might reveal a better design or execution.)

I'm probably not pointing out anything you don't already know. But so many football fans gripe about so many things that don't make sense from our very limited perspectives. Sitting in the stadium today, I heard a lot of blaming and griping based mostly on overall results, which is a VERY flawed way to evaluate plays and players. Some isolated aspects of plays can be easily assessed with the old fashioned eye test and common sense. But for a sport as complex and often esoteric as modern football, there's too much we don't know.

Seems like people don't want to admit that basic fact. 

6 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Spot on. Its a bummer because we had a still had a shot despite the miscues. 

I also think back to play calling those last four downs. Daboll needs to put us in the best plays he has on tap.

I didn’t like the first down run. I think considering how physical they were up front the chances we break one was low. Thought it was a waste of a down.

The Second play Josh was rolling  left I think. It was just a strange play all around but rolling left Effectively takes half the field out for play. 

I can’t remember what the play was on third down but I remember not liking it.

Fourth down was a good call in my mind , it was a good throw , one on one with Smoke. and the defender made a good play on. 

I like Knox and think he can make the guy but he needs to step up on some of those plays. At this level those should not have been drops.

I would also add that it seemed like DaBoll forgot that we could have gotten another 1st down before scoring the TD.  There was plenty of time and we had 2 TO's left.  On 3 of the 4 plays they went for the end zone rather then try to get us into a 4th & 3 type situation.

One thing that I admired about Baltimore was how they reduce each series into 10 yard segments.  Throw an incomplete pass on 1st down or get stuffed for no gain they go all out on 2nd down to pick up 5 or 6 yards to get to 3rd & 4. 

• Like (+1) 1