Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is so key every Bills fan should read it, learn it and live it!

Singleterry is almost this type of player but no one else on the Bill's O is.  Our lack of big play makers on offense is killing us.  Is it any surprise that in the face of all out blitzing ONLY Singleterry could make a play?

Yeah safeties are kept back to make the tackle if the guy manned up misses. Everyone thinks it just about a deep ball. There is no WR on the roster teams are worried will turn a shallow slant into a TD. 

Great call btw... If singtary had any top end speed at all he’d be one of the best backs in the game. His vision and cut ability is eye popping.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Why I watched the game.  What did you do?  Allen maybe had 2 sacks where he held on to the ball to long.  And I suspect NO ONE was open on those plays.  On the other 4 sacks Allen was under pressure almost as soon as he got the snap.  Then you have the 3 or 4 sacks that didn't happen because of Allen's athleticism. 

The Ravens were pretty physical and definitely owned the line of scrimmage. I think at some point everyone on Our offense probably failed in their individual matchups. 

I think it was a good test. I think it will be good focus  this week going to pit. I don’t think we are a better team than the Ravens at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Show me 1 qb in the league who successfully takes deep shots vs the Blitz.  

Quick passes to home run RAC guys are a nice way to keep the safeties back.

Safety blitz? Better watch more football. If you're watching the Patriots game, you just saw one. CB got away with PI though.

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yeah safeties are kept back to make the tackle if the guy manned up misses. Everyone thinks it just about a deep ball. There is no WR on the roster teams are worried will turn a shallow slant into a TD. 

Great call btw... If singtary had any top end speed at all he’d be one of the best backs in the game. His vision and cut ability is eye popping.

Robert Foster has the speed to turn a shallow slant into a TD. So does Smoke.

I knew the Pats would lose today because we did.  It just happens that every time we can take the division we don't do our own part.  However, this does mean the division is still in play if we win out and the Pats lose one more against Miami.  Go Fitz!

Here's my take on a disappointing loss:

*  What made this game so disappointing was that we had a real chance to take it to OT.  And a win today would have really set us up for a Division title push in the last 3 games.  But the fact we were so disappointed today is a sign that this team is getting better.  Tonight I feel like I used to after a Bills loss to a good team in the 1990's.  And that's a big step in the right direction even if it sucks big time in the moment.

*  The reality check is that we lost to the best team in the NFL by a TD in December! 

*  Today showed us all what this team needs to get to the next level:

-  we need to further upgrade the O-line.  It's a lot better then it was last year but it can't handle the blitz and they're not athletic enough to get out in space and effectively block for screen passes. 

-  we need play makers on offense.  At the very least we need a pass catching TE, a BIG & dominating #1 WR & another RB.  If we're lucky, Knox might grow into that TE for us but we have acute needs for a 2nd RB and a 1st WR.  Fouts correctly pointed out that our passing options are limited without a big bodied WR that can go up and win a ball. 

*  The defense is very good but still not elite.  You just can't let a team come out of the 2nd half locker room and score as easily as the Ravens did.  That TD pass to the TE was high school open. 

*  The dropped passes have to stop.  The Bills lead the league in this category and we probably widened our lead today.  On 2 critical 2nd half possessions dropped passes cost us dearly.  The first was by Knox.  When your QB is running for his life and makes a fantastic throw that hits you between the #'s in the red zone YOU HAVE TO HANG ON TO IT.  We had to settle for a FG on a drive that might have netted a TD had Knox caught that ball.  The other bad drop was by Beasley where again Allen avoids a sack and throws a perfect long ball down the sideline.  You have to make that catch.  We likely get a FG at least on that drive. 

*  Finally I'm sick & tired of NFL officiating.  These guys suck.  Not calling a PI on that deep throw to Foster is utterly incompetent.  What a huge non-call.  The only encouraging thing about this play is that the pass was on target and the Baltimore DB had to interfere to prevent the catch.  But my goodness NFL officiating is making it almost impossible to watch the games.  I mean look at the KC/NE game as a perfect example.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, SDS said:

lol. Ok champ. Sorry to hurt your feelings. There were multiple times he took sacks while in field goal range today. It was discussed on the broadcast. Sorry you missed them. 

Sometimes taking a sack is the ONLY option you have champ.  You know there is such a thing as grounding in the NFL.

3 hours ago, MDH said:

Both the Steelers and Pats have better Ds than the Ravens. On the road for both of those games too.

I’m worried about getting a W in both those games after this showing. 

Seriously? I thought there Ravens were the best we've played. To my eye.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Reposting. 

B4EB67B7-E1AA-41E9-98E4-8A9D0BE19CBD.jpeg

733F0E57-DDB0-48B5-8292-19BFF81A5946.jpeg

Just watched this play again.  Beasley was in the middle of the spin to break free when Allen makes his decision to throw to Brown.  

At the moment of decision, Beasley was still covered.  

That .5 seconds of this pic made all the difference 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Just watched this play again.  Beasley was in the middle of the spin to break free when Allen makes his decision to throw to Brown.  

I don't fault Allen that much but I'd love to have seen him immediately look for Beas with Brown having good coverage. Still, he went with his guy, hit him in the hands on a bullet. Extremely tough tough catch but it needs to be made. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Correct.  I actually made a screenshot of the moment Allen made his decision.  Beasley was still covered.

I don't think there was a single deep throw where Josh didn't have to get rid of it just in time to get creamed. Baltimore would line up their defense and just before the snap someone would move up to the edge as an additional rusher. The Bills could not find a way to stop it. This offense is pretty good but they are not elite yet. They managed to make a few plays but there is still room to grow. I'd have been happier if the Bills found a way to tie the game late in the 4th, but I am still proud of this team.

For those thinking Josh can't hit those deep shots, I'm calling BS. He can do it. He did it repeatedly last year. I think the offense came into this season specifically working on the short to intermediate routes, something Josh really needed to work on, with the new receivers. There has been enormous improvement but this offense is still a work in progress. That's what I see. The Ravens D had our number this game. Might be different the next time. Not sure I would call this game a step back either....more of a speed bump. They'll go look at the tape, learn and make adjustments.

We might just get a second crack at this team.

• Like (+1) 1