Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And another nice moment of Harbaugh reaching out to a no doubt dejected Josh Allen who did the right thing to congrat Lamar.

I just like Harbaugh as a coach and what I can tell as a guy.  He is hard nosed, no doubt, but he just seems like a decent human.

Love John Harbaugh.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 8:37 PM, Penfield45 said:

just curious what part of that game made you think he is a future elite QB

bc that was the worst he has looked since his rookie year 

His ability to withstand an insane rush without collapsing. I understand that it is hard to wrap ones' head around. And maybe It's the worst time for me to call him out as a QB of the future because of it, but I think that seeing a QB at his worst, while performing admirably, is a little bit more predictive than him performing at his best when he has an easy ride.

I know, that's not a great explanation. Maybe this is purely from emotion, but I have never seen a crappy Ravens QB perform like that in what is possibly the worst game of his career. It's not something that is inherently easy to explain. So take it as a grain of salt. But I've watch the Ravens since 1999 more or less every game; and I can't say I've ever felt that good about a sh*tty performance from Testaverde, Banks, Dilfer, Grbac, Redmond, Wright, Boller, or any other tragic QB we had until Flacco. And even with Flacco, when he had a terrible game, I am not sure I had hopeful feelings about his future. He was a different QB entirely when the playoffs were on the line. Not the same expectations I had then. He blew my mind with the 2012 Superbowl run, and I admit that.

The Bills O-line was crap against the Ravens. You fix that, and give Allen an extra second to throw, and he can be awesome. Don't be the Colts and ruin a good QB's career by failing to protect him (I know "you" have nothing at all to do with that). After Luck, I think any team can learn from that. I am sure the Bills can.

Also, please look at some of the better QB's in recent history. Their first season sucked. Their second season was not incredibly impressive. I don't think Allen is the next Peyton Manning or Pat Mahomes. I am not suggesting that by any means. But I think he might potentially be capable of being Elite if the offense continues to be built around him, and the defense is this good to give him the opportunities he has to make a big difference. If his defense suddenly sucks, I would not say that he can lead the Bills to a superbowl despite that. I have faith; Not a dream.

Edited by asyranok

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems likely to me that Josh Allen is hitting those deep throws in practice more often than not.  I mean, if it didn't ever work in practice, why put it in the game?  That being the case, there are several possibilities:

1) the WR aren't running the route the same in the game as they are in practice - they may be getting jammed up or held going against actual DBs.  This may be something where coaching can help, even if it's just coaching on acting to sell defensive holding or DPI to the refs

2) Josh isn't making the throw the same way in practice as he is in the game - he is more "juiced up" or there is some subtle difference in his mechanics when he's in the game.  This should be something they can find someone to work with him on, whether it's a mental or a physical thing or if there are physical things he could focus on to overcome the mental thing (I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but I've heard it before from athletes)

3) Josh knows that 1) is happening but he's afraid to throw shorter lest it be picked.  This might be something they could run drills on in practice - build confidence that if they can't catch it, the receivers will defend it.

But yes, if the only workable strategy to back off those blitzes is a series of deep throws Josh has yet to make in games this year, that's a Bad Plan

This is way out there, but how about Josh calling his own plays?  When relaxed he does better.  Calling plays that he is confident with relieves a great deal of stress.  Look how much he has improved since Daboll went to the booth--not sitting down next to him after every series.  I read somewhere that Daboll runs a very complex offense.  Why not dumb it down in conjunction with turning play calling duties to Josh?  Try it for a series or two.  If it does not work, go back to business as usual. 

4 hours ago, Buffbills716 said:

This is way out there, but how about Josh calling his own plays?  When relaxed he does better.  Calling plays that he is confident with relieves a great deal of stress.  Look how much he has improved since Daboll went to the booth--not sitting down next to him after every series.  I read somewhere that Daboll runs a very complex offense.  Why not dumb it down in conjunction with turning play calling duties to Josh?  Try it for a series or two.  If it does not work, go back to business as usual. 

I'm not sure of the level of complexity Daboll's system has, but they discovered that one of the hindrances to success was the constant substitutions. Daboll developed his system after New England's scheme which exploits mismatches and aims to adapt from week to week based on opponent. What they started doing a few weeks ago that has helped them get better was cutting back on all the subs. Instead, they've stuck with the same few personnel groupings over the last few games. This has made communication a bit easier and it's allowed them to get up to the line with time to spare so Allen can diagnose the defense and determine if he needs to check into another play. It definitely worked for them against Dallas, Denver, and Miami in weeks prior, but against Baltimore, odds are Allen was given a whole bunch of looks and disguises he hasn't seen before or hasn't seen much of  Despite the poor offensive performance, they were still in the game with a chance to tie late. That's all you can ask for is an opportunity. They fell short, it happens. I think they come back strong against Pittsburgh.

Edited by blacklabel

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems likely to me that Josh Allen is hitting those deep throws in practice more often than not.  I mean, if it didn't ever work in practice, why put it in the game?  That being the case, there are several possibilities:

1) the WR aren't running the route the same in the game as they are in practice - they may be getting jammed up or held going against actual DBs.  This may be something where coaching can help, even if it's just coaching on acting to sell defensive holding or DPI to the refs

2) Josh isn't making the throw the same way in practice as he is in the game - he is more "juiced up" or there is some subtle difference in his mechanics when he's in the game.  This should be something they can find someone to work with him on, whether it's a mental or a physical thing or if there are physical things he could focus on to overcome the mental thing (I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but I've heard it before from athletes)

3) Josh knows that 1) is happening but he's afraid to throw shorter lest it be picked.  This might be something they could run drills on in practice - build confidence that if they can't catch it, the receivers will defend it.

But yes, if the only workable strategy to back off those blitzes is a series of deep throws Josh has yet to make in games this year, that's a Bad Plan

Agree with you - just adding...

4) Josh is rushed because of that pressure and the timing was off from practice.

This week is another tough assignment against another team with great game-plan coaching.  It's going to be interesting to see.  Still not 'panic' time for the team as far as the playoffs go - but winning this game would go a long way to quieting the critics and also towards a possible win of the AFCE.  We just faced a team that is better than the Patriots and put forth a good effort.  they continue with that effort Sunday and I think we win.  I won't go so far as to make predictions, but it is a winnable game.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

In hindsight and without all the gameday emotion, the game was pretty much what observers would expect ; two high level defenses and coaching staffs in a chess match. Both offenses were limited in their effectiveness. The difference in the game was the Ravens offense had an answer in the red zone and the Bills D had one huge( uncharacteristic) breakdown that led to a cheap but ultimately decisive TD. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1