Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

4 hours ago, Magox said:

They need one more quality WR, and with next years draft setting up to be one of the best WR drafts I think it’s a good bet that the Bills will do just that.

The team is progressing just the way you would realistically hope it would.   

We aren’t that far off.  The defense is elite, Allen is progressing and will learn from this game and the offense is one playmaker away from being nearly complete.

Supposedly this year's Draft is loaded at WR. I think we need 1 or 2 Taller Speedsters that catch the Ball from Josh. FA  may help too. Keep building the lines of keep what we got. In the meantime let's see what we can do for the rest of the season.  :D

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Seems to me that the offensive gameplan coming in was to make the Ravens pay for blitzing by hitting an early deep shot or two.  If I'm right, Daboll screwed up big time. Betting on your weakness to overcome the other side's strength is a fool's errand.

Good point Coach

The Buffalo Bills were establishing some continuity by doing what they do best. Running the football with Devin Singletary for instance. Something I wish Buffalo would have done more of vs the Ravens. Bright future ahead for Singletary in the NFL IMO. Like Allen we're just scratching the sutface in my humble opinion coach Tuesday.

Do what you do best, no,  long ball hasn't been one of them. 

• Like (+1) 3

• SDS unpinned this topic
23 minutes ago, Figster said:

Good point Coach

The Buffalo Bills were establishing some continuity by doing what they do best. Running the football with Devin Singletary for instance. Something I wish Buffalo would have done more of vs the Ravens. Bright future ahead for Singletary in the NFL IMO. Like Allen we're just scratching the sutface in my humble opinion coach Tuesday.

Do what you do best, no,  long ball hasn't been one of them. 

dude, this is so true.

all of the analytics dorks and so on basically say "you have to be able to do X vs Y, or else you need a new qb/OL/WR whatever" as if to imply that they are the final say on football.

Lamar Jackson can't do X vs Y in a lot of cases, and they don't ask him to.  they dictate and use their scheme and player to great effect (top 2 O, top scoring i think).  trying do not only what you are not good at vs a pressure d, but also something that requires a degree of difficulty that exceeds what most plays do, is a recipe for disaster.  i really think dabol is too clever by half.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Literally yesterday lol. Knox made a helluva one armed catch while being interfered with. 

Agreed our TEs didnt play well yesterday outside of that one catch by Knox, otherwise he had a particularly bad day. 

That was a good catch but not the type of jaw dropper I'm talking about.  Just watched a replay of it and the ball literally falls into his bicep!  But for all his drops yesterday's catch by Knox and one he made against NE are probably the only 2 catches that could be classified as special in any way.  Note, the WR's haven't made one yet.

One final report on the Knox one handed catch.  if you watch the reply Knox is clearly being held by the DB before the ball arrives.  And yet no flag was thrown.  Meanwhile against Dallas they flagged White twice in the 1st quarter for the slightest bit of contact beyond the LOS.  I truly despise NFL officiating.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Pretty much all the talking head coverage I've seen today just was just about Lamar is so fantastic - with the requisite clip of Milano grabbing air with over-excited "WOW" "OH MAN" "LOOK AT HIM" voiceovers - if you didn't watch the game you would think the Bills D got dominated 

BTW - Bomani Jones was the first and only person I've seen who came out and said the Cheaters problem on offense is that Brady sucks but no one will say that, if any other QB was playing like he is they would be skewered for bad play

Edited by stevewin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Marcel L-J answers questions on twitter:

image.thumb.png.33df052188a65001d8df0edb98d67ea7.png

image.thumb.png.c27645b6579590555955ebdbf28e6f26.png

image.thumb.png.48e50bd487720a9d2b094663009ce4b3.png

I could not see on all of the plays from the TV coverage but in others there were clear checkdown options. Of course we don't know how Allen was coached, but the overall offensive game plan might be "take the shot if it's there"

image.thumb.png.0ade35e8dafa4aae0539d206658f0d6a.png

image.thumb.png.c05fbb17a5f9e3642e30186d6d80d6c3.png

Shut up, Hughes.  At least he stayed to talk to the press

image.thumb.png.397b5c8915e6c3c54ed346406258e228.png

image.thumb.png.a566e8a3a076a7a50272f4b1db5f6377.png

image.thumb.png.80aad2e8526f9b906fd7e9e5be19cf12.png

image.thumb.png.f0dc15693849af1d2cb06acfdf39772c.png

On 12/8/2019 at 5:14 PM, london_bills said:

And so what I think you are saying is Daboll should be modifying the offense in light of Allen's inconsistencies? That the brown throw for the touchdown could of been a. Shorter throw call but more guaranteed? 

I think Daboll is modifying the offense in light of Allen's inconsistencies. He is just doing a poor job of it. 

They are who we thought they were!

Ravens are a better team - and they showed us that on the field.  They challenged Josh to beat them with the long ball, something he's not been able to do consistently.  If he doesn't overthrow a couple passes, we probably win that game.  I thought it was a gutty performance by the team.  We just played the best team in the league, one which is probably going to win the SB this year - but we also made it a tough game and perhaps we'll get to say something about who goes to the SB in the playoffs.

Hey - the Chiefs won though, so that gives us hope that we could still win the division!  That'd give us a home playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Seems to me that the offensive gameplan coming in was to make the Ravens pay for blitzing by hitting an early deep shot or two.  If I'm right, Daboll screwed up big time. Betting on your weakness to overcome the other side's strength is a fool's errand.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems likely to me that Josh Allen is hitting those deep throws in practice more often than not.  I mean, if it didn't ever work in practice, why put it in the game?  That being the case, there are several possibilities:

1) the WR aren't running the route the same in the game as they are in practice - they may be getting jammed up or held going against actual DBs.  This may be something where coaching can help, even if it's just coaching on acting to sell defensive holding or DPI to the refs

2) Josh isn't making the throw the same way in practice as he is in the game - he is more "juiced up" or there is some subtle difference in his mechanics when he's in the game.  This should be something they can find someone to work with him on, whether it's a mental or a physical thing or if there are physical things he could focus on to overcome the mental thing (I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but I've heard it before from athletes)

3) Josh knows that 1) is happening but he's afraid to throw shorter lest it be picked.  This might be something they could run drills on in practice - build confidence that if they can't catch it, the receivers will defend it.

But yes, if the only workable strategy to back off those blitzes is a series of deep throws Josh has yet to make in games this year, that's a Bad Plan

• Like (+1) 2

I have no problem with the Bills going deep to loosen up the defense.  You gotta be able to hit some of them, if he hits either Brown or Foster early on, this game changes.

I have all the faith in the world that at some point in the not so distant future that Allen will be hitting those passes with some consistency.