Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

They need one more quality WR, and with next years draft setting up to be one of the best WR drafts I think it’s a good bet that the Bills will do just that.

The team is progressing just the way you would realistically hope it would.   

We aren’t that far off.  The defense is elite, Allen is progressing and will learn from this game and the offense is one playmaker away from being nearly complete.

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

If Beasley isn’t the first read against a cover 0 that’s a problem.  Beasley is averaging 3.2 ish yards of separation 

Brown is 2.4

Brown is running the deeper routes with a lower probability of catch. Beasley is usually within 10 yards of the LOS

If we aren’t drawing up plays to get Beasley the ball on blitz beaters or he isn’t the primary read shame on the coaching staff. 

Beasleys route was 2 yards and covered as a first read. It was the final play of the game with 8 yards to go minimum. Josh made the right decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Magox said:

They need one more quality WR, and with next years draft setting up to be one of the best WR drafts I think it’s a good bet that the Bills will do just that.

The team is progressing just the way you would realistically hope it would.   

We aren’t that far off.  The defense is elite, Allen is progressing and will learn from this game and the offense is one playmaker away from being nearly complete.

I'd say receiving weapon. That can come from the TE position (George Kittle), WR (Hopkins, Jones), RB (Kamara). Like u said, another playmaker. 

8 hours ago, GregPersons said:

What was bad about Brown's route running on the last play? Genuinely asking. That did not appear to be a WR error -- it was just excellent coverage. IMO the problem was that Brown wasn't getting those targets throughout... Peters is a great CB, and I'm sure the separation wasn't ideal, but Brown needed more opportunities. He got fewer targets than Dawson Knox. 

Separately — here's a question I'd like to know the answer to — why can't we try Duke Williams at TE??? What is going on there??? I wouldn't sit any of the WRs but I would deactivate Tyler Kroft (or better yet Lee Smith but I know McD loves his ST play). 

3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB — Brown, Beasley, Foster/McKenzie, Duke, Singletary

2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB — Brown, Beasley, Duke, Knox/Smith, Singletary/Gore

Agree. Another poster said it was a bad route and that 8 of 10 times he runs a better route and we get a TD. 

It looks like the corner had great coverage, got inside and made the play.  

I wish the solution was as simple as play Duke Williams. The offense needs playmakers.  A star WR is a priority.  

Great, great game yesterday. Great defensive battle on both sides today. Your offense had the right idea against a blitz heavy defense, make them pay with some deep shots. They were there, but Josh just missed them, and I think that was ultimately the deciding factor in the end. The Patriots look just about done. Their offense isn't getting any better and their D is starting to show some cracks.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Agree. Another poster said it was a bad route and that 8 of 10 times he runs a better route and we get a TD. 

It looks like the corner had great coverage, got inside and made the play.  

I wish the solution was as simple as play Duke Williams. The offense needs playmakers.  A star WR is a priority.  

A clutch, explosive playmaker at TE completely redefines this offense. I'm not saying that's definitely Duke Williams, but I am saying it doesn't look like it's gonna be Tyler Kroft or Lee Smith. Knox has potential -- he's great at catching the ball as long as it doesn't hit him in the numbers perfectly on target. 

This loss hurts the worse so far.  Knowing that we could have complete control of the AFC by winning this game and falling short stings.  just like most games, it takes just one or two busted plays to make the difference.  We win if we didn't fumble the ball deep in our own territory or if Poyer didn't cover the wrong TE (mistakes happen).  Even with those mistakes, we had the chance to tie the game.  Smoke was shut down all day.  Why didn't we draw up a play for Beasley?  He finds a way to get open almost every play.  And throughout the game, Josh Allen had receivers open on deep passes.  He has to find a way to connect on at least one of those.  Easy TDs thrown away because of his deep ball accuracy.  We all know this is an issue with him and I do believe he'll work on it and get better, but that time is now.  And Dawson Knox, for goodness sake, stop dropping the damn ball!  We all loved the one arm grab and aggressive run, but we need efficient hands every time.  We had the chance to prove so many doubters wrong about our team. 

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No one asked Allen about the ankle injury or asked McDermott about it in the pressers.  

Josh Allen had a hard time limping off the field after the play was over. It is what it is,  you have to play through it. Why the media failed to inquire about it is beyond me.  Allen is normally going to make a few plays with his legs. ( 8 rushing TD's) Its no coincidence Allens ankle gets taped up and he fails to do so, atleast not in my humble opinion Happless. 

I'm not looking to make excuses, but the ankle injury hurt Josh Allens mobility and altered his style of play. Daboll in all likelihood adjusted the game plan accordingly minus designed runs. IMO

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MDH said:

D made the Ravens punt time and time again. I didn’t do anything with those opportunities. 

Ravens scores three times when they got the ball aeound the 50 yard line or better. Offense not moving the ball and the turnover killed them today.

That was the difference.

When they blitz, hit the open guy. Their QB hit Hurst for a 60 yard TD, our QB was scatter shot for 70% of the game and when he was hitting, drops. 

19 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

This loss hurts the worse so far.  Knowing that we could have complete control of the AFC by winning this game and falling short stings.  just like most games, it takes just one or two busted plays to make the difference.  We win if we didn't fumble the ball deep in our own territory or if Poyer didn't cover the wrong TE (mistakes happen).  Even with those mistakes, we had the chance to tie the game.  Smoke was shut down all day.  Why didn't we draw up a play for Beasley?  He finds a way to get open almost every play.  And throughout the game, Josh Allen had receivers open on deep passes.  He has to find a way to connect on at least one of those.  Easy TDs thrown away because of his deep ball accuracy.  We all know this is an issue with him and I do believe he'll work on it and get better, but that time is now.  And Dawson Knox, for goodness sake, stop dropping the damn ball!  We all loved the one arm grab and aggressive run, but we need efficient hands every time.  We had the chance to prove so many doubters wrong about our team. 

I disagree with this.  Allen missed one and maybe two deep throws in the first quarter but after that was accurate on the throws he made down the field:

*  His deep throw to Beasley was dropped. 

*  Singleterry misjudged Allen's well placed deep throw to him down the sideline.  if he runs through the ball rather then jump it's likely a catch.

*  The deep throw to Foster in which the Ravens DB committed PI was accurate.  If the DB doesn't interfere that's a 50 yard plus catch.  That PI wasn't called there is a joke.

Allen played poorly in the 1st half.  But what seems to be riding a bit under the radar is that he played very well in the 2nd half even though his O-line was a sieve.  Several dropped and misplayed passes and one egregious non-call on PI doomed the Bills.  had those plays been made we win.  And as I said earlier I know it's a case of coulda, woulda, shoulda but in honestly judging Allen you can't ignore those plays.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Big drops by Bease and Knox altered the outcome of this game for sure (knox also got abused on the sake/fumble). Defense was lights out, contained the best offense in the league for much of the game. 

We were in this game, it stings, but they are the class of the NFL so it was an expected loss (gave us a 40% chance and seemed right). 

On to the Steelers, wrap ourselves up a playoff spot! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

A clutch, explosive playmaker at TE completely redefines this offense. I'm not saying that's definitely Duke Williams, but I am saying it doesn't look like it's gonna be Tyler Kroft or Lee Smith. Knox has potential -- he's great at catching the ball as long as it doesn't hit him in the numbers perfectly on target. 

This probably is the Bills most critical need on offense.  Yesterday I believe TE's caught only one pass.  And it's not a case of Allen not targeting them as they were targeted 4 times.

Watch a Bills game, almost any Bills game, and the TE's don't get open.  Compare a Bills game to almost any other NFL game and what stands out to me in the passing game are:

*  Very little TE production. 

*  Dropped passes

*  The inability to effectively execute a screen pass.  Outside of the one Singleterry took for 49 yards against the Redskins have we run another successful screen?

*  The complete lack of ESPN level awesome pass catches.  When was the last time a Bills receiver caught a 50/50 ball or made a grab that had you yelling at the TV - "I can't believe he caught that".

All of these things matter in executing an NFL passing game.  I just don't see Allen as the problem here.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree with this.  Allen missed one and maybe two deep throws in the first quarter but after that was accurate on the throws he made down the field:

*  His deep throw to Beasley was dropped. 

*  Singleterry misjudged Allen's well placed deep throw to him down the sideline.  if he runs through the ball rather then jump it's likely a catch.

*  The deep throw to Foster in which the Ravens DB committed PI was accurate.  If the DB doesn't interfere that's a 50 yard plus catch.  That PI wasn't called there is a joke.

Allen played poorly in the 1st half.  But what seems to be riding a bit under the radar is that he played very well in the 2nd half even though his O-line was a sieve.  Several dropped and misplayed passes and one egregious non-call on PI doomed the Bills.  had those plays been made we win.  And as I said earlier I know it's a case of coulda, woulda, shoulda but in honestly judging Allen you can't ignore those plays.

valid points.  If i'm not mistaken, he did overthrow Smoke as well.  And yes, I can't believe we didn't challenge that non-PI call.  I was screaming at the TV.  I love our coach, but sometimes, he's too conservative.  and I understand that he doesn't want to waste his challenges because they could be useful later, but that's the time he needs to try.  If it's overturned, it's likely to result in points on the board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This probably is the Bills most critical need on offense.  Yesterday I believe TE's caught only one pass.  And it's not a case of Allen not targeting them as they were targeted 4 times.

Watch a Bills game, almost any Bills game, and the TE's don't get open.  Compare a Bills game to almost any other NFL game and what stands out to me in the passing game are:

*  Very little TE production. 

*  Dropped passes

*  The inability to effectively execute a screen pass.  Outside of the one Singleterry took for 49 yards against the Redskins have we run another successful screen?

*  The complete lack of ESPN level awesome pass catches.  When was the last time a Bills receiver caught a 50/50 ball or made a grab that had you yelling at the TV - "I can't believe he caught that".

All of these things matter in executing an NFL passing game.  I just don't see Allen as the problem here.

Literally yesterday lol. Knox made a helluva one armed catch while being interfered with. 

Agreed our TEs didnt play well yesterday outside of that one catch by Knox, otherwise he had a particularly bad day. 

They took the hottest team in football to the limit.  Defense had one lapse but was outstanding. Made Jackson look ordinary.  Offense made too many mistakes.  Offensive line had a hard time in pass blocking.  Too many drops.  Allen has some glaring misses. Clean up those issues and this team can play the best and win 

• Thank you (+1) 1