Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Just watched this play again.  Beasley was in the middle of the spin to break free when Allen makes his decision to throw to Brown.  

At the moment of decision, Beasley was still covered.  

That .5 seconds of this pic made all the difference 

QBs have to read leverage. Brown was covered. If he looks to Beasley he’d see the DBs hips turned the wrong way and immediately know Beasley has his man beaten. He shouldn’t be waiting until Beasley is actually open to make that decision.

It looks like Allen saw single coverage one Brown and was going there no matter what.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Little TBD love nugget: the discussion here, as this thread progresses, is solid. Mostly clear-eyed, objective perspectives. Nice to see after a frustrating loss.

Maybe the knee-jerks have gone to bed?

Not to get in the way of bashing other posters, but there's probably some room for a li'l more love in that nugget. Another explanation is that the team is simply playing more consistently... leading to a more consistent dialogue from the fans. The team has solidified its identity over the last month-plus. There are fewer questions about, say, Allen's abilities than there were in September. 

My take on today's game is similar to everyone's — although it hurts that lost today, the team did not look outclassed. They were inches from winning. Obviously there are the drops. For another example, Tremaine Edmunds on the last Baltimore touchdown -- Edmunds had a solid day but he's still improving, and Edmunds a "level up" in his progression is maybe is in a slightly better position to get a hand on that ball or even pick it off.

Edmunds was the one I'd been saying all week would be the key to the game. That proved to be true. He mostly played one of his best games, I thought. He and the rest of the defense effectively contained Jackson-- they held them to 24 when Baltimore is a team capable of scoring 40+ in most weeks. This wasn't the "breakout game" for Edmunds that I hoped for, but it was definitely a "progression" game where you can see his tools getting sharper.

So even in the loss, this looked like a team that should be able to control the game against Pittsburgh, even though it's an away game at night... and they look like a team that's ready to punch New England straight in the mouth. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Why did he run a bad route?   Fourth down and game on the line, why would he not do his best?  This cannot happen. 

What was bad about Brown's route running on the last play? Genuinely asking. That did not appear to be a WR error -- it was just excellent coverage. IMO the problem was that Brown wasn't getting those targets throughout... Peters is a great CB, and I'm sure the separation wasn't ideal, but Brown needed more opportunities. He got fewer targets than Dawson Knox. 

Separately — here's a question I'd like to know the answer to — why can't we try Duke Williams at TE??? What is going on there??? I wouldn't sit any of the WRs but I would deactivate Tyler Kroft (or better yet Lee Smith but I know McD loves his ST play). 

3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB — Brown, Beasley, Foster/McKenzie, Duke, Singletary

2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB — Brown, Beasley, Duke, Knox/Smith, Singletary/Gore

Maybe this has been mentioned in this thread. I’ve read most of it and could’ve missed it

Has anyone figured out why we didn’t max protect today?

Did the press ask?

Did it happen and I’m ignorant to it?

Was the plan to spread them out and if so where were the quick hitters to beat the man coverage?

Josh took a beating. Some maybe all was his fault. Just seems like if he wasn’t getting through his reads quick enough we could’ve left more blockers in. Again it could’ve happened but I sure don’t remember it

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Thanks. I’ve got everyone telling me they know exactly what happened because I posted a screenshot when clearly I would have had to have watched the video in order to make that assessment and take the screen grab. You would think anyone disagreeing with this would actually go back and watch the video however they can find it before they make a counter argument.

Ain’t it Great here?!??

Eh, a 1 score loss to (arguably) the best team in the league when it’s pretty clear the bills didn’t play their best ball? I’ll take that. No moral victories or anything, but I’d feel pretty good if we had to play them again.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

c ya kid...

How’d you know? You got ESPn or somein’..?

Yes, he’s a street urchin tonight.

8 hours ago, 12+83=6 said:

Always the apologist.  Said the same thing about EJ and JP.  Guys like you keep making excuses.

and guys like you don’t stick around long.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Upthread @SDS posted a screen capture where he had Beasley circled and labeled "TD", but from the Nextgen simulation above, it looks as though at the point where Allen threw, Beasley had not yet started his break.  There's a DB and an LB pushing the L side of the line back towards Allen.  There is a pocket he could step up into, but perhaps he felt he couldn't count on time to let the play develop another second or two.

At the point where Allen threw, was Beasley looking for the Ball yet still too covered?    There seems to be a Ravens DL and an LB almost in line between Allen and Beasley.  Did Allen reject that route because he was afraid that would be tipped?  Beasley may not have had separation yet.

I think Josh made the right decision to throw to Brown.  It's 4th down; if Beasley makes the catch but gets stuffed short of the 1st down the game is over.  And he got the ball there.

This route by brown looks pretty bad. Is that how dabs drew it up? I feel like his vertical route should be more straight and his cut to the middle more sharp.  Hell id have been happy for him cuting to the middle hard at any point but instead its just like a lazy looking route to me *shrug* hindsight is 20/20 but I feel like we need more WR help.

If allen had waited another 0.5 sec he might have saw beasely coming open... of course same fans expecting that are the guys that say "he held onto football too long all day" so you cant win either way. If he holds it there and takes a sack everybody would be crying even harder. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

This route by brown looks pretty bad. Is that how dabs drew it up? I feel like his vertical route should be more straight and his cut to the middle more sharp.  Hell id have been happy for him cuting to the middle hard at any point but instead its just like a lazy looking route to me *shrug* hindsight is 20/20 but I feel like we need more WR help.

If allen had waited another 0.5 sec he might have saw beasely coming open... of course same fans expecting that are the guys that say "he held onto football too long all day" so you cant win either way. If he holds it there and takes a sack everybody would be crying even harder. 

I like our WRs but i don't love em. Talent is there but need better hands and in some cases better route running.

We need guys who can fight for the ball and make adjustments to Josh as well.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

7 hours ago, the skycap said:

This is showing Beasley break open for what irs worth

he breaks open after Allen makes his decision. He breaks open at the 2 yard line on 4-8. Brown was the read one on one in man. He is supposed to be the best receiver. That’s the read and that’s where the ball Is always going on 4th and game

5 hours ago, MDH said:

QBs have to read leverage. Brown was covered. If he looks to Beasley he’d see the DBs hips turned the wrong way and immediately know Beasley has his man beaten. He shouldn’t be waiting until Beasley is actually open to make that decision.

It looks like Allen saw single coverage one Brown and was going there no matter what.

Right but it's an all out blitz and Brown is obviously first read, with M2M single coverage. Beasley is probably 3rd read on that play. With how the OL had been playing all game and the fact that he see's Brown 1v1 going past the 1st down, to me that's the correct decision. There's no way of knowing if Allen comes off Brown and goes to Beasley, that Beasely get's the first down. Yea he may of beat his man but the other Secondary players, there's 2 behind the play, would have come off their coverage to tackle. He's literally 7 yards short of the 1st down.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I like our WRs but i don't love em. Talent is there but need better hands and in some cases better route running.

We need guys who can fight for the ball and make adjustments to Josh as well.

....which seemed to be a characteristic of Duke....who has now vanished.........

5 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

Maybe this has been mentioned in this thread. I’ve read most of it and could’ve missed it

Has anyone figured out why we didn’t max protect today?

Did the press ask?

Did it happen and I’m ignorant to it?

Was the plan to spread them out and if so where were the quick hitters to beat the man coverage?

Josh took a beating. Some maybe all was his fault. Just seems like if he wasn’t getting through his reads quick enough we could’ve left more blockers in. Again it could’ve happened but I sure don’t remember it

We're going to have to look at the film and see what adjustments we could've made.  What worked.  What didn't.  

I'm not going to get into specifics but we could've executed better.  It's something we'll learn from moving forward.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Im a big Allen guy,  but he was bad today.  It’s ok to admit that.  

He’s made a ton of progress and has really played well against a few above average defenses (Dallas/Denver) of late.  

What he needs to improve upon is his performance against elite defenses and for the love of all that’s holy, figure out the deep ball...  He’s a young QB, struggling is ok, but he’s been a dumpster fire against the two elite defenses we’ve seen - Baltimore and New England.  

Of course, he’s not alone. The entire offense has failed against those two teams, which leads to a larger point of us needing to upgrade at WR, RB and probably TE this offseason.  Brown, Beasley, Knox and Singletary is a good start but obviously not the finished product, and by design.. we all knew this needed another offseason to complete.  

The OL was uncharacteristically bad, but most OL’s will look bad when your QB is struggling against zero blitzes all game.

I say this with great respect, understanding that we do, eventually need a QB who can complete those deep throws:  ***** the deep ball.  It was blowing a gale out there.  A low-percentage play is going to be lower percentage in those conditions. 

The deep ball isn't what lost us the game.  What lost us the game was Allen trying to make a first down on every throw especially early in the game, when he could have taken the quick easy throws on 3rd and 4 or turned 2nd and 10 into 3rd and 4.  He had enough protection to make those throws and he needs to take them and put some trust in Singletary and/or Brown's feet.

Our TE Knox and Kroft got pwned today when asked to block in pass protection.  Morse got beaten like a drum a few times- though Allen could have gotten the ball out long before that time.  But still, you don't want to see your starting center getting thrown a** over teakettle.

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

It's becoming more clear why Beane bothered inquiring about AB before realizing he was a mental case.  I see future stars in DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin, AJ Brown, etc...  and some of us were pounding the table to draft one of them in the 2nd round.  Especially AJ Brown in my case as we needed a precise route runner considering at the time I only though Brown, Foster, McKenzie were just speed guys with limited route running ability.  I felt like we adequately addressed the o-line in free agency at the time.  Cody Ford has been underwhelming and I hope they move him to guard next year where he'll hopefully develop into an above average starter.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's becoming more clear why Beane bothered inquiring about AB before realizing he was a mental case.  I see future stars in DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin, AJ Brown, etc...  and some of us were pounding the table to draft one of them in the 2nd round.  Especially AJ Brown in my case as we needed a precise route runner considering at the time I only though Brown, Foster, McKenzie were just speed guys with limited route running ability.  I felt like we adequately addressed the o-line in free agency at the time.  Cody Ford has been underwhelming and I hope they move him to guard next year where he'll hopefully develop into an above average starter.

Some of us were pounding the table to take Metcalf in the first. Because some of us KNEW that was our #1 need.