Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

except he dropped JA’s best throw all day— would have been a game changer too. The receivers need to make big plays and tough catches once in a while. 

Spot on here. 

We are now almost through season 2 of Allen and I've yet to see a WR make what I would call a great NFL catch.  Sure Beasley & Brown are very efficient route runners, get open and have made some big, game changing plays but neither has made the type of circus catch or run after catch that you see a couple of times in almost every NFL game.  I just saw a couple in the NE/KC game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I also thought it was a tale of two Allen's in each half.  In the first half Allen was bad, on par with the NE game but minus the INT's but in the 2nd half he had a solid outing that would have been very good:

*  had Knox held onto that throw giving us a 1st down in the Red Zone.  We had to settle for a FG on that drive.

*  had Beasley caught that deep pass that would have given us a 1st down inside the Raven's 40 yard line. 

*  had Singleterry run through rather then leap early for that deep pass down the sideline that would have been a 40 - 50 yard gain and it may have even gone for a TD.

*  had the ref done his job and thrown the flag on that obvious PI on Allen's deep shot to Foster that would have given us a first down at the Baltimore 25 yard line.  BTW, that pass was well thrown and on target 50 yards downfield.  The PI was the only play the DB could make to prevent the catch.

I know I'm playing the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" game here but I think it's justified.  Everything I listed above should happen in an NFL game.  And if they happened today you could add 10 - 17 points to our score.

It's important to point this out, as long you don't carried away. My buddy beside me at the game was REALLY angry about Knox's drop, and rightly so. I was fired up by Beasley's drop. And didn't McKenzie miss a pass in the end zone that clanged off his arms? I might be mis-remembering that one, but...

...the point is Allen got his stuff together after a very shaky start, and his receivers and linemen let him down. The protection issues are likely partly on Allen to better diagnose or react to, but free rushers and dropped passes were huge issues today. The QB played fairly well down the stretch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Micah Hyde postgame interview

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/micah-hyde-it-was-big-boy-football

Love how Hyde answers the reporters try to stir up controversy asking him how is the mood in the locker room when the defense did everything they could to win and the offense didn't carry their weight.  Hyde says "We're not going to divide offense and defense.  We're a team in here, we understand that.  Defense could have done a lot to put the offense in a better position, get the ball back, better field position, don't give up that long play"

Just love that guy.  MICAHHHHHHHH!

Feliciano postgame interview

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/jon-feliciano-defense-did-a-hell-of-a-job

Asked if it's harder to take after the win over the Cowboys: "No, all losses suck"

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Micah Hyde postgame interview

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/micah-hyde-it-was-big-boy-football

Love how Hyde answers the reporters try to stir up controversy asking him how is the mood in the locker room when the defense did everything they could to win and the offense didn't carry their weight.  Hyde says "We're not going to divide offense and defense.  We're a team in here, we understand that.  Defense could have done a lot to put the offense in a better position, get the ball back, better field position, don't give up that long play"

Just love that guy.  MICAHHHHHHHH!

The players on this team typically own their own mistakes, no way Micah was going to throw someone else under the bus especially with that miscommunication with Poyer costing 7. The defense did definitely carry the heavy load today. There was a moment when you wonder if they'd get frustrated with repeated 3 and outs going back and forth.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Upthread @SDS posted a screen capture where he had Beasley circled and labeled "TD", but from the Nextgen simulation above, it looks as though at the point where Allen threw, Beasley had not yet started his break.  There's a DB and an LB pushing the L side of the line back towards Allen.  There is a pocket he could step up into, but perhaps he felt he couldn't count on time to let the play develop another second or two.

At the point where Allen threw, was Beasley looking for the Ball yet still too covered?    There seems to be a Ravens DL and an LB almost in line between Allen and Beasley.  Did Allen reject that route because he was afraid that would be tipped?  Beasley may not have had separation yet.

I think Josh made the right decision to throw to Brown.  It's 4th down; if Beasley makes the catch but gets stuffed short of the 1st down the game is over.  And he got the ball there.

7 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

One thing I am surprised by is no jet sweeps today. The way the ravens were blitzing hard up the middle, it seemed like the edges were susceptible. Was actually thinking that 3rd and 8 at the end of the game was a perfect time to try it. 

I believe there were two; there was definitely one.  The Ravens sniffed it out and STUFFED it.

9 minutes ago, the skycap said:

This is showing Beasley break open for what irs worth

Look carefully; at the point where Allen throws, if you freeze it there, it looks as though Beasley has just started his break, he hasn't gained separation yet, and there are two defenders pushing the line back towards Allen on the L.  There is a pocket, but Allen may lack faith in it (I can't imagine why, today)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would like to understand how Beasley looks on that route to Allen.  At the point where Beasley starts his break, was he looking for that Ball or was he still too covered?  Obviously Allen couldn't count on time to let the play develop another second or two.  There seems to be a Ravens DL and an LB almost in line between Allen and Beasley.  Did Allen reject that route because he was afraid that would be tipped?  Was he feeling they had to make a TD on that play?  

I think Josh made the right decision to throw to Brown.  It's 4th down; if Beasley makes the catch but gets stuffed short of the 1st down the game is over.  And he got the ball there.

If you look at it in real time, you see that Allen saw the throw to Smoke, and had committed to the throw, beginning his plant and windup, prior to Beasley breaking.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look carefully; at the point where Allen throws, if you freeze it there, it looks as though Beasley has just started his break, he hasn't gained separation yet, and there are two defenders pushing the line back towards Allen on the L.  There is a pocket, but Allen may lack faith in it (I can't imagine why, today)

Exactly correct.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would also add that it seemed like DaBoll forgot that we could have gotten another 1st down before scoring the TD.  There was plenty of time and we had 2 TO's left.  On 3 of the 4 plays they went for the end zone rather then try to get us into a 4th & 3 type situation.

One thing that I admired about Baltimore was how they reduce each series into 10 yard segments.  Throw an incomplete pass on 1st down or get stuffed for no gain they go all out on 2nd down to pick up 5 or 6 yards to get to 3rd & 4. 

It’s interesting you mention the segments. I heard somewhere Baltimore’s philosophy is to play four downs for ten yards instead of three. And it really opens up their play calling. 

We had plenty of time like you mentioned. Questionable calls I guess. The coaches need to be on their A game as well when playing such a well coached team on the other end

Like the evil empire Belichick himself says you  looks for  any of their weaknesses and exploit them.

All the highlights I saw of San Frans success running the ball came off tackle. Running  away from the initial beef up front and taking on their lb. Not running Straight into the meat of their D. So why do we keep pounding up the middle? I Almost feel like we do the exact opposite at times by not attacking the weak points. It may not work but keep plugging. 

The pats block punt on us was all coaching and picking up some tendency of us missing a beat somewhere. I’m sure it was something small we were showing all year with our punt teams.

We seem to be a correct the issue after it happens team...

I think we come out looking much better at Pittsburgh, plus we are a road team anyway! 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Upthread @SDS posted a screen capture where he had Beasley circled and labeled "TD", but from the Nextgen simulation above, it looks as though at the point where Allen threw, Beasley had not yet started his break.  There's a DB and an LB pushing the L side of the line back towards Allen.  There is a pocket he could step up into, but perhaps he felt he couldn't count on time to let the play develop another second or two.

At the point where Allen threw, was Beasley looking for the Ball yet still too covered?    There seems to be a Ravens DL and an LB almost in line between Allen and Beasley.  Did Allen reject that route because he was afraid that would be tipped?  Beasley may not have had separation yet.

As hard as it is to say because we didn't get the TD but I think think this was a fine decision by allen with it being the last play. And the throw was good. 

It's alot of the earlier plays that I would have liked him to step up in the pocket and take some safer throws 

Edited by london_bills

Besides a few mistakes on each side of the ball Buffalo isnt inferior of a football team.  Close tough loss.  I think if they meet up in January Buffalo has a good shot at beating them.  Bill's D is for real.  Allen, in a poor offensive showing, did not go nuclear with hero ball and bad Ints.  The Bill's can and should win the remaining games.  Finish 12-4 with a shot at the division crown.  Last play of the game, Brown is the teams best Wr.  He ran a poor/sloppy route.  He runs that better 8 out of 10 times.  8 out of 10 times that's a TD.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe there were two; there was definitely one.  The Ravens sniffed it out and STUFFED it.

Was there a breakdown on the o line or did they just have more runners? 

When the game is on the line you are supposed to throw to your WR1. That was the throw that was made and Brown didn’t win the route. 

The difference today was one really big play where a wide open receiver killed us for 60 yards. 

We should consider ourselves lucky to have been that close considering a) how poorly our offensive line play was b) how we oddly choose to not run jet sweeps, nor screens, nor slants, nor button hooks, nor roll outs and c) that Josh again seems to play at home with too much adrenaline and air mails too many passes and d) key drops by Beas, Knox, and Singletary on no hit plays that could have all been huge. This was a total execution and offensive coaching issue today. They continue to show they do not yet have enough play makers. Frank offers little as RB2 now. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Beasley was catching stuff all day. 

Except for the play where he didn't.  Beasley is credited with 4 receptions on 7 targets.  The other 3 weren't all bad throws.

I have to go look when the all-22 comes out how many were makeable throws but

Dawson Knox 1 reception, 4 targets 25%

John Brown 3 of 8 37.5%

Cole Beasley 4 of 7 57%

Now some of those throws will have been throw-aways that are chalked up to them as the nearest receiver, but still.

Them ain't good numbers.

And then there's

Tyler Kroft 0 of 1

Robert Foster 0 of 4