Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

I'm honestly not remotely discouraged by this game. The Bills hung in there with the best team in the NFL, which has blown out more than one great team. 

Allen struggles with the blitz when those teams are ferocious and also capable of covering while doing it. Luckily, that's pretty much only NE and BAL. He was really good against the blitz in the 3 games before this one. Need to get better with screens  and slants and whatnot to discourage teams from doing that so often. 

This team, if it makes the playoffs, will be a miserable opponent for any possible first round team, and has a good chance at beating any of them. They likely aren't ready to beat NE or BAL on the road in the playoffs. I think they will be this time next year. 

Our defense, man. So fun to watch. Bizarre breakdown on the long TD pass, but they made me not remotely scared of Jackson otherwise. 

The OLs were bad but the Ravens sent 6 or 7 so many times it seemed like. 

The WRs and TEs did not make plays. They caught too low of a percentage of passes they should catch, and caught no passes that you wouldn't expect them to. They not only didn't help our team, they hurt our team. 

Nice to see Hauschka doing well. Bojorquez probably had his worst game of the season. 

This sucks, but as long as we get to 10 wins somehow, it's going to be a blessing in disguise that we face the defenses of BAL, PIT, NE, and NYJ to end the season. It's going to grow this offense and they'll be ready for wild card weekend. 

Need that big WR weapon this offseason. It's time. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

They knew that Allen can’t complete the long ball so the just kept blitzing.  The receivers are open but he has not been able to hit them all year.  They should be concerned at OBD

Assuming you've got the arm strength, and JA does, the long ball is a touch pass. Touch (or the lack thereof) has been Josh's kryptonite as a passer. The encouraging thing is that he has improved his touch throws in the short passing game Eg to backs in the flats. Hope it's just a question of time.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not calling us a championship team but for pete's sake hasn't anyone ever heard the saying "that's why you play the game"?  We were playing what is the favorite team to win it all and if Allen hits Foster early or Singletary late or stops taking sacks inside the 30 yard line it's entirely possible we score enough to win that game.  No we are not the favorites but we are going to be there with a chance.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Bigger problem was the Ravens had constant pressure and I think Allen got rattled. He took some bad sacks but it's always hard to tell in real time if there was anywhere to go with the ball.

Yep.  Completely opposite from the Dallas game.

Josh reminds me of the Mayhem "puppy" in those Tina Fey insurance commercials.   He's just a baby and has so much to learn about playing QB...

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I thought he badly missed 2 deep throws to Foster and Foster. The opening drive miss to Brown was not a bad throw at all. Brown was looking the wrong way for the ball, there was some kind of miscommunication on that route. He also threw a dime on a deep ball to Knox in tight coverage and missed Singletary by a fingertip on a deep wheel route. Deep accuracy was really not the problem in this game. Bigger problem was the Ravens had constant pressure and I think Allen got rattled. He took some bad sacks but it's always hard to tell in real time if there was anywhere to go with the ball.

And I almost forgot the dime he threw to Beasley on the run, that Beasley just flat out dropped. Too many plays left on the field across the board and Daboll called an awful game IMO. I couldnt tell you what the game plan was today and we had no answer for the constant blitzes.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Reader said:

This is an excellent point Baltimore has a great defense and they made our o-line, wr's, qb, etc.... look adequate at best. If Daboll, Allen and the rest can clean this up then they should be set to take anyone on.

This was more about discipline and timely execution by the Ravens. They are obviously well coached, athletic and talented. The Bills proved that they are not far behind. Remember, this Bills team is still evolving. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I get that some folks cant handle their feelings and it makes them feel better to moan and complain and play the blame game. Here's the thing - the 2019 version of the Buffalo Bills is not a championship team. I get people wanna win and win now, and maybe thats why they are ready to jump off a building - but it just was never going to be this year. Now,  that said the 2019 Buffalo Bills are a building block and hopfully the beginning of a stack of good seasons. Its apparent the D has arrived before the O, BUT this team did what SSOO many other teams couldnt handle this year and thats stick with the Ravens. Good teams are good teams because they win. They score points and shut people down. Thats how the Ravens have gotten where they are. They are an excellent team that the Bills fought hard and hung with. Play calling was a bit suspect again this week, and I dont care who your QB is - with Oline play like that, you're going to have a tough day. And maybe the line doesnt suck, they just played a GOOD team and weren't as good. I doubt Brady in his hayday would have had an answer for dudes in his face in less than 2 seconds. Hopefully a piece of a #1 WR who will make a play for his qb is added next year. The catch from Knox is the 1st catch all year I remember going out and legit making a play for his qb. We have wwaaayyy more drops than wr stealing one for his qb. 

So I implore you, before you run down your list of how the QB isnt the guy, how bad the Oline is and how so and so sucks - remember this was the cream of the crop and they stuck with them. Get the hurt out and then realize that there is positive here and shows growth.  Its a team thats coming into their own and finding their ways FOURTH loss ALL YEAR!! Take a deep breath and realize good things are ahead and this was a good measuring stick rather than the end of the world. After all, we didnt loose 42-3 and were a hard out at that.

The defense has never been the question.  It's the offense and QB play.  

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Excellent start.

Just a poor offensive showing. Darn it. 

Very true, but did we not expect days like this to the best teams in the league?  With 9 new starters and a young QB a stinker like this against the hottest team in the league is disappointing but not surprising. The did it to the Pats and the 49ers.

I still love our direction (as I know most do). First quarter Josh and fourth quarter Josh were not the same guy. It was a big stage against a great team for a young QB. Same with the early Pats* game. Atrocious, then he settled down. Next time won’t be the first time. START like 4th quarter Josh. 

Go Bills! Get the next one for 10 (TEN) wins! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

We need that big wr so bad. Also please stop throwing to John Brown with the game on the line. It hasn’t worked since week 1

If it’s man to man throw to Cole Beasley. Open on that last play easy first down. 

You are dillusional

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right all day wondering was the slants, crossing routes or screens today...

This... we had 10 days to prepare a gameplan. Ravens #1 blitzing team, and their weakness has been over 5 yards per carry on runs to the outside. 

So what is Dabolls script? 5 step drop backs, and slow hand off on almost like a delay. Maybe its just me but a lot of our handoffs looked very slow developing.

We only had a couple runs to the outside.... 1 of which Singletary busted for 30-40 yards.

Hey how about we have the ball on the half yard line to goal... so we do a DEEP hand off to Gore? to try to run outside? this is so wrong on so many levels.... If its to singletary, I can understand a bit... or if its a quick hitter off center with Gore I am fine with it.... but also maybe just sneak?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

And I almost forgot the dime he threw to Beasley on the run, that Beasley just flat out dropped. Too many plays left on the field across the board and Daboll called an awful game IMO. I couldnt tell you what the game plan was today and we had no answer for the constant blitzes.

I mean people keep running at Daboll with the pitchforks but here we are talking about missed TD's on deep passes and drops on short passes.  2 plays before the fouth down we had a screen that picked up something like 17 yards called back for a penalty.  I'm not sure Daboll is the one shooting the offense in the foot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There were several situations where it was 4 down territory but we passed on each one of them on 3rd down. Should have run on 3rd to make it 4th and short. No design runs today for josh or McKenzie. He didnt have time to pass so they should have used his legs more esp on those 3rd down plays. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, that was huge. As was the Knox drop on 3rd and 10’when they were driving.

The drops dove me crazy today, though to be fair, so did Allen’s misfires.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

I'm honestly not remotely discouraged by this game. The Bills hung in there with the best team in the NFL, which has blown out more than one great team. 

Anyone remember when some folks biggest concern was the disturbing number of blowout losses we had?  Still sucks to lose, but we had a shot today... :beer:

• Like (+1) 1