Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

Didn't expect to win this game. Defense did better than anticipated so it hurts that offense didn't play better. Ravens are a good defense and the pass protection was terrible and too many really bad drops. 

Learning game for Josh, we'll bounce back just have to win 1 of 3.

This is not a super bowl team, Ravens are 

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

Did I miss a “need a new QB post somewhere”? or “need an entirely new OLine” one?

This type of hyperbole makes discussion so frustrating. People are pointing out players who had poor games, I’m not sure how that equates to them not wanting those players.

I guess you weren’t in the game threads

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

This is a lose-lose situation in regards to fan 20/20 hindsight.

If he throws short of the sticks and Beasley doesn't make it, fans will freak out that he didn't throw to the sticks.

If he misses the throw to the sticks, fans will freak out that he missed the underneath guy.

The real criticism here is that Brown's route should've been squared off at the sticks to create separation and get the 1st down, not the touchdown.

Yes - or he should’ve stutter stepped coming off the line.  It was a really poor route by Smoke - it was easy for the CB to defend.

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If I go the rest of my life without hearing that announcing crew it wont be long enough. 

For real. That broadcast was terrible - between Fouts, Eagle and and lack of replays, it was just awful...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 12+83=6 said:

Look.  I am not going to get into a p****** contest with someone who can't see the offense/Allen for what it is.  I have seen your posts before, and no matter what, you are going to make some half-a** comment trying to counter the obvious.  

image.jpeg.48659eccd4991d4980c7f71dc782881c.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Painful loss! Josh was terrible in the first half. Our receivers were terrible in the second half just when Josh was starting to get his game going. Defense was damn good. Just one blown play that, unfortunately, resulted in a touchdown.  Why no screen passes or draw plays to counter their rush?  

Josh did play better in the 2nd half. Those drops by "what felt like everyone" killed us. Defense gave up only 17 points to maybe the best team in the NFL. When this season will our offense pu our defense. Just once?

Tough opponent and we did not really embarrass ourselves as a team.

We aren't quite there, and the holes we all know we have on this team on offense are there still. No taller jump ball receiver (on the field), and poor o-line blocking, painful drops at some key times in games, and Allen escaping the pocket too soon once he loses faith in his pocket.

Defense - played well enough, lights out in many ways except for one key coverage error.

I think this game turned on some key plays, strip-sack given up by Knox, long TD given up by Poyer, and some pretty poor punts that gave our defense too many short fields to defend. There were a few plays where our receivers needed to make a play for Allen and they didn't - in a tight game like this they have to step up.

Allen has masked some poor pass protection by our o-line the past few weeks, this week against this defense as fast as it is with solid tackling vets he could not get that creative on his rollouts or runs - probably a bit gimpy too. On that strip sack he took a pretty good late forearm to the face while on the ground, and numerous other painful shots and then Morse (I think) stepped on his foot to injure his ankle. Allen was not accurate, and rarely looked comfortable or in a rhythm from the get-go. He never really had a chance to get settled into the game because he kept getting hit, sacked, and had to run for his life; he started to hear the footsteps before they were really there.

Allen bailed on the pocket too early, but if he hung around he may have made more plays, but also would have taken a lot more sacks and may have also gotten knocked out of the game, so I have mixed feelings about blaming him for bailing early. The o-line needs to hold up better.

This team is a few pieces away, but we just took arguably the best team in the NFL down to the wire - no shame, and there are things they should learn from this game. Daboll should really look at some of the plays that Roman has come up with. Allen is not Jackson, but I am sure there are Baltimore running plays we could incorporate into our offense. We need to get better TE's and use them more - especially down near the goal line, or activate a receiver that can high-point the ball.

Daboll loves his speedy smurfs, but that quick out pass to McKenzie did not work all day and he kept going to it. There are times you just have to rip up a play instead of literally wasting 3 downs going back to a play that did not work the first time you tried it. Baltimore was good at matching our sideline to sideline speed and were playing a lot of press. That opened things up in the red zone and Daboll was smart to call the legal pick play and to have Beasley in motion for the 2 point try - great calls.

Mixed results on our screens today, the long one called back with a hold on Spain was bogus. Spain had his hands inside the defender and the defender had his facemask, but we had more than a few calls go our way too.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

With all the blitzing, how can the coaching staff explain the lack of targets to the TEs on hot routes? Are they that bad? What purpose does Tyler Kroft serve?

Kroft is useless and needs to be cut in the offseason. Rather go with Knox-Sweeney combo and live with the growing pains.

Great passers like marino or fouts would see Brown covered on that pass and either gone to option 2 OR he would have floated the ball with more lead to it--let JB run under it. Those are passing skills JA will never have. BUT JA has other good qualities to make up for that .he has a long way to go...but I still think the kid is a winner.

Just now, Heitz said:

For real. That broadcast was terrible - between Fouts, Eagle and and lack of replays, it was just awful...

Fouts and Booger should have  a cage match for worst color man. Booger would win but damn it would be close.

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen had a bad game but what is he supposed to do on that last play?  The play before, Morse and his linemates allowed a jailbreak blitz down the middle and it wasn’t the first time that had happened today.  He was justified in getting the ball out immediately.

I had no issue with that throw , one on one with smoke. Might as well go to our best wr.  Guy made a nice defensive play.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 5